The Raconteurs @Third Man Live [Sept. 14, 2011]

Rac-on-tours
ak1nney
Little Bird

Re: The Raconteurs @Third Man Live [Sept. 14, 2011]

Post by ak1nney »

So they opened with the classic Consoler intro from the 2008 tour?
HappyDad
Little Ghost

Post by HappyDad »

The french White Stripes | Third Mand Records | Raconteurs | Dead Weather board : Join the French Fun
--> JUST HERE
JWhiteIII
Little Acorn

Post by JWhiteIII »

Really glad they played Broken Boy Soldier. One of my top three for sure.
Across the Rio Grand-e-o.....
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

HappyDad wrote:

Man, reading about the experiences you guys had is awesome, but I have to tell ya, Clem posting these two....wow, brings it home! Cannot WAIT until Saturday! YES!!!

Glad everyone had a killer time...but was there ever any doubt?
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
HappyDad
Little Ghost

Post by HappyDad »

mojoryan wrote:Man, reading about the experiences you guys had is awesome, but I have to tell ya, Clem posting these two....wow, brings it home! Cannot WAIT until Saturday! YES!!!

Glad everyone had a killer time...but was there ever any doubt?
I wish I was there ...
The french White Stripes | Third Mand Records | Raconteurs | Dead Weather board : Join the French Fun
--> JUST HERE
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

When they initially announced no Black and Blue for this show I thought they might play a full set and put it out as a double LP like Live in London, but it doesn't look like this is the case based on the setlist. Sounds like everyone had a great time and it gets me excited for Saturday. A couple questions:

What guitar was Jack playing? Back to the copper Triple Jet?
Any funny anecdotes from the band during the set or was it more all out melt your face off music playing?
Besides the Belles, any other notables in the audience? Gotta get the rumor mill going!
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
harvestgirl
spinning top mama

Post by harvestgirl »

Jack & bb bantered back & forth quite a bit. Jack told a story about when he first met bb, and when he lived close to bb , but bb rarely came to his house, then bb told a story about their 2nd meeting in bb's house & he was worried about j's cig ash lol.

I could only see the front part if the VIP area, black belles were the only ones I recognized.

Copper triple jet, Claudette & one other electric was used ~ maybe someone can chime in as to which it was.
"Doodled on your Milwaukee 03 as well (white flowers, cups of coffee, and love letters)"
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

regarding covering miles and miles, i believe it was during the break for top yourself, but i may be wrong. it was an unexpected delight, however.

the other guitar jack played was another electric gretsch triple jet in a wood grain. no appearance by the triple green machine.

great little show last night and pokey was a lot of fun too.
he is everything i hate...
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Cool, thanks for the updates.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
harvestgirl
spinning top mama

Post by harvestgirl »

Seeing them made it really hit home how much i miss the , I hope they'll be back w/ new tunes & a longer tour.
Talked To Patrick a bit after & he said no new songs yet... He's doing an opera w/ Karen O, so he's been busy.

They really sounded good & were as tight together as they were at the end of their last tour.
"Doodled on your Milwaukee 03 as well (white flowers, cups of coffee, and love letters)"
BluefordT
Little Ghost

Post by BluefordT »

Did anyone ask Jack about the Strange Times bullshit on the Vault? and when it will get back to normal? by chance. Jus curious.
"No saddly I didn't have enough money from flipping to pay for the car..."
StLBen:Stiben(Elitist Hipster Tool Person)
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

BluefordT wrote:Did anyone ask Jack about the Strange Times bullshit on the Vault? and when it will get back to normal? by chance. Jus curious.
:?:

I don't go over there much....story?
BluefordT
Little Ghost

Post by BluefordT »

rsimms3 wrote:
BluefordT wrote:Did anyone ask Jack about the Strange Times bullshit on the Vault? and when it will get back to normal? by chance. Jus curious.

Some extra room that was created by the guy who made modlife. But it messed up some of the regular Vault functions.
"No saddly I didn't have enough money from flipping to pay for the car..."
StLBen:Stiben(Elitist Hipster Tool Person)
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

BluefordT wrote:
rsimms3 wrote:

Some extra room that was created by the guy who made modlife. But it messed up some of the regular Vault functions.
Ah, gotcha.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

A few observations--

First off, my one regret of the night is that Pokey announced they were going to be selling their record out of a van in the parking lot after the show, but a thunderstorm began during the Racs and when we wandered outside into the rain at the end, Pokey and Co. were nowhere to be found. But I'm gonna get that album. I fell in love with all four of those guys, they are too awesome and were an absolutely perfect opener for the Racs.

The most exciting element of the night for me was that I ended up in the same spot at the front of the stage that I had for all four DW shows last year-- Right in front of Jack's pedal board. Well, technically, just to the side of it because of the monitor shelf. But I was tucked in right next to the shelf and close enough to be worried all night about knocking the pedal cables loose. (And I'm immensely grateful to orangeshoeskid for moving out of that spot before the show started. I love you, man :D )

If I remember correctly, Jack launched into I Can See For Miles during Salute Your Solution. Such a cool surprise to hear The Who from them, even if it was only one chorus or so.

Jack's story during the first reel change was quite funny-- He talked about the first time he met Brendan, at a WS show at the Gold Dollar. He thought he'd done some good things during the show and was looking forward to being introduced to Brendan because he'd heard that Brendan was pretty good at "this music thing". Apparenty, Brendan said two things to him-- "1, I thought you were a girl, and 2, do you know where I can catch a cab?"

When the second reel change came up (seemed like there was another change going on?, but maybe they just felt like gabbing again), Brendan wanted to tell the story of the second time he met Jack. Jack had come over to his house (which prompted Jack to go on about how they lived so close together, yet Brendan only came over to his house a few times) and was wandering around looking at Brendan's guitars (at this point, Patrick stood up behind his kit to pipe in "They were sweet guitars"). Brendan mentioned that this was back when Jack smoked (like he doesn't now, seeing as how he started the set with a cigarillo clamped in his mouth) and, on that day, he was walking around B's place with a looong ash on his cigarette, before finally dropping it on B's dresser. Not the greatest story (by Brendan's own admission), but after telling it, Brendan crossed the stage to give Jack a hug. It was beautiful.

They sounded great. I didn't pick up on all the changes in arrangement, but every song was so full of energy and both Jack's and Brendan's voices were perfect. The performance of Blue Veins did not strike me as a face-melting one, but I was seeing it live for the first time and may have been too caught up in watching it to really listen to the solos.

The Third Man stage is not big enough for Jack.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."