Raconteurs at the Ryman in Nashville, September 15 2011

Rac-on-tours
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Re: Raconteurs at the Ryman in Nashville, September 15 2011

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Good thing I wasn't planning on ever getting rid of the Ryman Rob Jones poster. My wife accidentally sat on it during the show and now that I'm looking at it there are two small creases on either side! haha Oh well, my first Ryman show, my first Jack show. This is going on the wall and not coming down. Thanks for the advice on framing!!
hsp88
Little Ghost

Post by hsp88 »

shaneoftheroad wrote:Good thing I wasn't planning on ever getting rid of the Ryman Rob Jones poster. My wife accidentally sat on it during the show and now that I'm looking at it there are two small creases on either side! haha Oh well, my first Ryman show, my first Jack show. This is going on the wall and not coming down. Thanks for the advice on framing!!
its hard to see small imperfections when you frame a poster, if there not to bad i would not worry about it, the print looks so good as a whole no one will notice them anyway lol
harvestgirl
spinning top mama

Post by harvestgirl »

shaneoftheroad wrote:Good thing I wasn't planning on ever getting rid of the Ryman Rob Jones poster. My wife accidentally sat on it during the show and now that I'm looking at it there are two small creases on either side! haha Oh well, my first Ryman show, my first Jack show. This is going on the wall and not coming down. Thanks for the advice on framing!!
and those will totally frame out! it will look good as new once behind glass :)
"Doodled on your Milwaukee 03 as well (white flowers, cups of coffee, and love letters)"
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

mangry wrote:Show was insane...this was the first time I have heard Jack's full fury in concert. The Wanda shows were not quite the same. Just seeing his copper-top Gretsch in person is cool enough, let alone him shredding on it. Keeler was insane too!

Any tips on poster storage/framing? Gotta wait a bit to frame my print 'til I get paid (a week or so.) Right now it is stored in a tube 'cuz it is too big to fit in my big flat drawer.
check out the "post your framed gigposters" thread and look for 3quid's (I think) rac's posters - I like that job quite a lot
blublood1013
Little Cream Soda

Post by blublood1013 »

RACS Rocked the Ryman!!! Ears are ringing and almost losing my voice...signs of an awesome show!!!
Doing what 2 people need is never on the menu
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

orangeshoeskid wrote:
Moller72 wrote:
orangeshoeskid wrote:
Moller72 wrote:
mangry wrote:Show was insane...this was the first time I have heard Jack's full fury in concert. The Wanda shows were not quite the same. Just seeing his copper-top Gretsch in person is cool enough, let alone him shredding on it. Keeler was insane too!

Any tips on poster storage/framing? Gotta wait a bit to frame my print 'til I get paid (a week or so.) Right now it is stored in a tube 'cuz it is too big to fit in my big flat drawer.
I use Americanframes.com for all my prints very reasonably priced.
That too.
I would build my own but how do you get mats big enough for the huge prints.
I haven't gotten that far to need those yet. The largest I've done is a 20x26 poster. I've got a handful of huge ones and my mat cutter only does up to 32" so I will probably just go and get a mat cut professionally. I think to cut a mat is $10-20.
What about when it comes to mounting the print? It seems like dry mounting the print would definitely lower the value. Of course, if it is framed in your home as a piece of art for your visual enjoyment then I guess it doesn't matter...but what do y'all do?
Hyperbole used for effect!
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

I don't even think I'm 100% sure what drymounting is but I just center the poster on the back of the mat board and carefully tape it down with archival tape. Then put the backing board in and then it's done.
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

go ask those lugnuts on expressobeans about drymounting. i dare you.
he is everything i hate...
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

elduderino wrote:go ask those lugnuts on expressobeans about drymounting. i dare you.
I know I've seen them go off whenever it's mentioned and use it an an expletive. So I imagine it's not good.
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
plantersman
Little Cream Soda

Post by plantersman »

shaneoftheroad wrote:A standout moment for me was at the end of "Carolina Drama" when he sang the last line without a microphone. He actually hushed the Ryman and belted that last line with no amplification. He might do that every time for all I know but wow. Wow.
really? i thought, this would've been your standout moment...

:crotchface: :mrgreen:
patchwork
Little Acorn

Post by patchwork »

orangeshoeskid wrote:
elduderino wrote:go ask those lugnuts on expressobeans about drymounting. i dare you.
I know I've seen them go off whenever it's mentioned and use it an an expletive. So I imagine it's not good.

drymounting is when they take your poster and lay it on a big piece of foamcore and stick it in a big ass heat press. its great if you have a $10 poster from a music store or something, but i definitely would not do it to a signed and numbered print. i worked in a frame shop for awhile and a bindery shop that both did drymounting. i do not recommend it at all unless you just dont care about the print
the bus came by and i got on, that's where it all began
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

patchwork wrote:
orangeshoeskid wrote:

drymounting is when they take your poster and lay it on a big piece of foamcore and stick it in a big ass heat press. its great if you have a $10 poster from a music store or something, but i definitely would not do it to a signed and numbered print. i worked in a frame shop for awhile and a bindery shop that both did drymounting. i do not recommend it at all unless you just dont care about the print
That's what I thought. Looks like archival tape is the way to go. I don't want the print to be permanently fused to something. Thanks all for the advice everybody! I'm not really a poster collector; I've just become more interested in getting screen prints at the shows that I attend.
Hyperbole used for effect!
harvestgirl
spinning top mama

Post by harvestgirl »

i get most of mine framed at michael's lol ~ you can get an awesome deal when they have 60% off.

anyway, they are very particular about items that are signed/dated and won't even dry mount anything that is.

we frame the smaller handbills ourselves and use our mat cutter, the biggies i leave to the pros.
"Doodled on your Milwaukee 03 as well (white flowers, cups of coffee, and love letters)"
3quid
Little Acorn

Post by 3quid »

mangry wrote:
patchwork wrote:
orangeshoeskid wrote:

That's what I thought. Looks like archival tape is the way to go. I don't want the print to be permanently fused to something. Thanks all for the advice everybody! I'm not really a poster collector; I've just become more interested in getting screen prints at the shows that I attend.
I use these. I prefer them over archival tape because the tape will still sometimes pull some of the paper off if you ever need to remove the print.

shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

plantersman wrote:
shaneoftheroad wrote:A standout moment for me was at the end of "Carolina Drama" when he sang the last line without a microphone. He actually hushed the Ryman and belted that last line with no amplification. He might do that every time for all I know but wow. Wow.
really? i thought, this would've been your standout moment...

:crotchface: :mrgreen:
Ah, posterity. Thank goodness I'm a blurred blob in this picture. I may want to run for President one day.