Raconteurs at Michigan International Speedway Sept. 17, 2011

Rac-on-tours
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Re: Raconteurs at Michigan International Speedway Sept. 17,

Post by rsimms3 »

Something I have been meaning to post. One of my new distant in-laws works at MIS Raceway and was one of the tram employees. Yesterday she gave me some insight on all the line-up changes, dropping a stage, etc. She said that the head of the promotion company or someone high up in the company passed away just over a week ago and then last Tuesday the company just dropped the festival in the lap of MIS to take over. MIS had contracted with the promotion company to take care of everything and here they were backing out at the last minute. So, MIS said they weren't going to cancel the whole thing, picked up the ball, and ran with it. As of last Tuesday, there were NO contracts or agreements with ANY of the bands; MIS had to obtain those agreements themselves in the span of about 12 hours. She didn't say why bands were cut and why the third stage was canceled, but it sounded like they simply couldn't get agreements in place fast enough and of the bands they could get agreements with they moved forward with what they had which didn't necessitate a third stage. She said that MIS will continue the festival next year and into the future, but they will handle all arrangements themselves.

For all the drama over the issues the week prior, the festival was a great success in my opinion. There were some things that could have been better, but overall it was very enjoyable and a great location. Getting 3 free drink tokens was a nice surprise and if you used them for alcohol, you had at least a $21 value seeing as how beer was $7 each. I can't say the food was reasonably priced as a bottle of Coke was $4 and a Philly Cheesesteak was $7.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
harvestgirl
spinning top mama

Post by harvestgirl »

there seems to be a pic missing b :lol: ;)
Last edited by harvestgirl on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Doodled on your Milwaukee 03 as well (white flowers, cups of coffee, and love letters)"
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

wait - that was really jeff daniels, the actor? i just figured it was a musician who happened to have the same name...
he is everything i hate...
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

elduderino wrote:wait - that was really jeff daniels, the actor? i just figured it was a musician who happened to have the same name...
Yes, the same one from Dumb and Dumber. He actually owns a theatre in Chelsea, MI and has at least 1 album, if not a few. His theatre is the Purple Rose.

http://www.purplerosetheatre.org/
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
JoseyWales
Little Acorn

Post by JoseyWales »

A little paparazzi of some folks enjoying the JEFF set haha
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BluefordT
Little Ghost

Post by BluefordT »

JoseyWales wrote:A little paparazzi of some folks enjoying textingat the JEFF set haha
FIXED
"No saddly I didn't have enough money from flipping to pay for the car..."
StLBen:Stiben(Elitist Hipster Tool Person)
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Post by dylnfan »

Hey now, how else was I supposed to keep everyone on this thread updated w/real-time intel! LOL!
"I haven't told him, but I'm adding him to my movement to bring nice back. Because nice is the coolest, most punk thing ever."

- Cmelo
JoseyWales
Little Acorn

Post by JoseyWales »

I put a couple photos of the fest up here, if anyone is interested.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 995&type=1
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

The Black Belles tweeted word about a video one of you guys took.

https://twitter.com/#!/TheeBlackBelles
Arran_Ramone
Little Cream Soda

Post by Arran_Ramone »

harvestgirl wrote:ugh. pk just isn't looking so hot. bit worried about him.

Seeing that last pic of him posted earlier, it would seem PK has formed some kind of crippling Opiate addiction during the Racs break... :lol:
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Wow what a show! I'm so glad I did not sell my tickets, almost did! The Raconteurs were on big time, this show to me was better than TMR or believe it or not better than the Ryman show. The VIP tickets were worth their weight in gold, we had a seating area right up front!

The weather was fantastic!

It was great seeing old friends and new ones! Kali Durga is cool, was nice putting a face to her voice/ posting. Hung out with Greg in chains some, Mojo and his fam are cool, Josey always a pleasure, Jennifer and Robert, love you guys. Too many to list! Good seeing all of you!

Saw the Rac's at TMR, next day Ryman, drove to Louisville after the Ryman, got up and went to Michigan, jammed for a day and back to Alabama!

Thanks to TMR, thanks to the Raconteurs, thanks to the MI Festival folks, thanks to my friends around here.

Woody
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
texascyclone
Little Acorn

Post by texascyclone »

I will agree thanks to all a week of great shows...and yes by the time they hit mifest it was really rockin. Well they were really on at the other shows too. good to see all and as ai posted next time we need a little more organization to meet up with more unjnown screen names. Hey woody we are thinking of Atlanta now I will see if it will work out for us See you all soon :D :)
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

texascyclone wrote:I will agree thanks to all a week of great shows...and yes by the time they hit mifest it was really rockin. Well they were really on at the other shows too. good to see all and as ai posted next time we need a little more organization to meet up with more unjnown screen names. Hey woody we are thinking of Atlanta now I will see if it will work out for us See you all soon :D :)
The Tabernacle is cool, it's a must see show.

See ya,
Scott
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
barrowc
Little Cream Soda

Post by barrowc »

rsimms3 wrote:I've heard several White Stripes shows and been to several Dead Weather shows and I've never seen/heard him get the audience involved
This video at 5:10:

anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

barrowc wrote:
rsimms3 wrote:I've heard several White Stripes shows and been to several Dead Weather shows and I've never seen/heard him get the audience involved
This video at 5:10:

Nicely played. He did it again at the Ryman. At his prompting, the audience finished off Carolina Drama. The crowd may be the best friend he has.
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org