"Secret" Handwritten Lyrics Come To Light

Discuss The Racs here
Grimtale
Little People

Re: "Secret" Handwritten Lyrics Come To Light

Post by Grimtale »

crimpies wrote:Image > Image
I'm not with you on that one. Lyric sheets are cool as hell, don't get me wrong. But I can't follow you on this one.
It would depend on the song I guess to some degree and the significance of it as well. I've just never thought about collecting those, maybe that's it.
Might be a personal preference.
Grim
I am everything you hate...
mvickers03
Little Ghost

Post by mvickers03 »

That's very cool Shane.
I'm bored, I'm the chairman of the board.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

I agree with Grim here. The story behind the HPLB's are legend. Plus it's a White Stripes artifact and though I love the Racs, White Stripes > Racs
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Grimtale wrote:
crimpies wrote:Image > Image
I'm not with you on that one. Lyric sheets are cool as hell, don't get me wrong. But I can't follow you on this one.
It would depend on the song I guess to some degree and the significance of it as well. I've just never thought about collecting those, maybe that's it.
Might be a personal preference.
Grim
I can't speak from a collector's perspective, but what's so fantastic to me about things like this is being able to get a glimpse of the thought process behind the song. It's interesting to see how the perspective of this song changed by the time it was recorded, and how Jack played around with word combinations.

And, as Ryan pointed out, analazying the hand-writing is pretty damned cool.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

shaneoftheroad wrote:With all the talk about secrecy around these parts lately I'm gonna let a giant cat out of the bag, there's no reason to keep this from you all (not even sure why I was keeping it to myself in the first place). I am currently in possession of handwritten lyrics for "You Don't Understand Me". They are not technically mine because (aside from technically belonging to Jack White) my friend wouldn't flat-out sell them to me (no matter how much I offered him) but as a gesture of peace he said I may "display" them in my home for free until he wants them back. I don't want to get into too many details about how they were acquired except to say he had access to Blackbird Studio while the White Stripes were recording Icky Thump and the Raconteurs were recording Consolers of the Lonely (he has some great stories from that time period). The lyrics are torn from a legal pad which was discarded by the band.

They are genuine handwritten lyrics by Jack White (written in pencil), confirmed by Blackwell himself. (Note: The original name of the song was "You Don't Get It (So You'll Never Get Me)". It even has some verses not used in the song! Please don't pm me about buying these because he says they're absolutely not for sale (and if he ever changes his mind I get first dibs). :) Check it out!

Image Image

PS: They are being stored flat at the moment but as soon as I can afford a decent frame job I'll take actual pics for you, these are scans.

Very cool man, thanks for this treat!
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

This is like 57 varieties of cool, Shane! Thanks for sharing. I love this kinda stuff!!
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

Very nice item. This draft seems to come between the vault demo and final release, now we just need to track down the recording. Congrats and thanks for sharing
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
fourthhorseman73
Little Bird

Post by fourthhorseman73 »

Wicked cool. there's nothing like poking into to the mind of someone as creative as Jack White, and that's exactly what this is. The creative process is unique to each individual, here you get a glimpse, though only a glimpse, into his. Awesome...
If you go lookin’ for hot water Don't act shocked when you get burned a little bit
If you really want some hot water I can help you find it...
brainwave
Little Bird

Post by brainwave »

That is pretty awesome. Now tell us some of the stories your friend told you.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

brainwave wrote:Now tell us some of the stories your friend told you.
Seconded.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Unfortunately other than bumping into Meg on smoke breaks and nods to Jack in passing there's not much to tell as far as White Stripes or Raconteurs are concerned. I was only a casual fan at the time and let those go with a passing "that's cool", I wish I'd known how far I'd fall into Jack's world. The stories I mentioned mainly involve his work at the studio, his excursions in Nashville and his interactions with other artists (Jewel being one of them). I'll call him later and chat with him about it again, see if it's cool for me to share some anecdotes.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

That's a nice treat to get to hold on to. Awesome.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Alabama Woody wrote:That's a nice treat to get to hold on to. Awesome.
It'll be nicer if he ever decides to let me buy the pages off him. It's genuine rock history! But yeah, that was cool of him to let me hang onto them. At least I know they're safe, he had them stuffed in a drawer until I rescued them (he's actually not a huge Jack White fan, go figure).
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

Someone should find a graphologist to analyze the handwriting to give us further insight.
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Look at the K's, man, look at the K's.