"Secret" Handwritten Lyrics Come To Light

Discuss The Racs here
shaneoftheroad
Little People

"Secret" Handwritten Lyrics Come To Light

Post by shaneoftheroad »

With all the talk about secrecy around these parts lately I'm gonna let a giant cat out of the bag, there's no reason to keep this from you all (not even sure why I was keeping it to myself in the first place). I am currently in possession of handwritten lyrics for "You Don't Understand Me". They are not technically mine because (aside from technically belonging to Jack White) my friend wouldn't flat-out sell them to me (no matter how much I offered him) but as a gesture of peace he said I may "display" them in my home for free until he wants them back. I don't want to get into too many details about how they were acquired except to say he had access to Blackbird Studio while the White Stripes were recording Icky Thump and the Raconteurs were recording Consolers of the Lonely (he has some great stories from that time period). The lyrics are torn from a legal pad which was discarded by the band.

They are genuine handwritten lyrics by Jack White (written in pencil), confirmed by Blackwell himself. (Note: The original name of the song was "You Don't Get It (So You'll Never Get Me)". It even has some verses not used in the song! Please don't pm me about buying these because he says they're absolutely not for sale (and if he ever changes his mind I get first dibs). :) Check it out!

Image Image

PS: They are being stored flat at the moment but as soon as I can afford a decent frame job I'll take actual pics for you, these are scans.
Last edited by shaneoftheroad on Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Re: "Secret" Handwritten Lyrics (Come To Light)

Post by rsimms3 »

Very cool, thanks!
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
TheHen0
Little Ghost

Post by TheHen0 »

Pardon my language, but
HOLY SHIT!
EDIT* What did you offer him?
Thousands?
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

TheHen0 wrote:Pardon my language, but
HOLY SHIT!
Thousands?
Oh yes.
TheHen0
Little Ghost

Post by TheHen0 »

shaneoftheroad wrote:
TheHen0 wrote:Pardon my language, but
HOLY SHIT!
Thousands?
Oh yes.
how many?
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

haha No, I won't go that far. Just enjoy the lyrics! hahaha
TheHen0
Little Ghost

Post by TheHen0 »

shaneoftheroad wrote:haha No, I won't go that far. Just enjoy the lyrics! hahaha
Oh, you definitely don't need to worry about that!
achouza
Little Ghost

Re: "Secret" Handwritten Lyrics Come To Light

Post by achouza »

this is awesomeee,,, hopefully JW makes a book one day and includes copies of a bunch of this stuff,, that would be sweet
<<<< Ahuevooo! >>>>
chris865
Little Ghost

Post by chris865 »

Super cool, thanks for sharing.
Grimtale
Little People

Post by Grimtale »

Cool stuff man.
Grim
I am everything you hate...
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

that's pretty cool, thanks for letting that cat out of the bag.
he is everything i hate...
TheHen0
Little Ghost

Post by TheHen0 »

Grimtale wrote:Cool stuff man.
Grim
Now you know how we feel when you post a picture of a record that only you have.
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

dig. LOVE handwriting!!Says a lot about a person.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
tanzaib
Little Ghost

Post by tanzaib »

shaneoftheroad wrote:With all the talk about secrecy around these parts lately I'm gonna let a giant cat out of the bag, there's no reason to keep this from you all (not even sure why I was keeping it to myself in the first place). I am currently in possession of handwritten lyrics for "You Don't Understand Me". They are not technically mine because (aside from technically belonging to Jack White) my friend wouldn't flat-out sell them to me (no matter how much I offered him) but as a gesture of peace he said I may "display" them in my home for free until he wants them back. I don't want to get into too many details about how they were acquired except to say he had access to Blackbird Studio while the White Stripes were recording Icky Thump and the Raconteurs were recording Consolers of the Lonely (he has some great stories from that time period). The lyrics are torn from a legal pad which was discarded by the band.

They are genuine handwritten lyrics by Jack White (written in pencil), confirmed by Blackwell himself. (Note: The original name of the song was "You Don't Get It (So You'll Never Get Me)". It even has some verses not used in the song! Please don't pm me about buying these because he says they're absolutely not for sale (and if he ever changes his mind I get first dibs). :) Check it out!

Image Image

PS: They are being stored flat at the moment but as soon as I can afford a decent frame job I'll take actual pics for you, these are scans.
Nice One...
<tanzaib> any news on vault 26
<Jack White> @tanzaib cass corridor looming large in all of our lives around here
crimpies
Little Acorn

Post by crimpies »

Image > Image