That were handed down to me
Just take all the ones you want and then
Give the rest to my family
Across the Rio Grand-e-o.....
Arran_Ramone
Little Cream Soda

Re: Favorite Raconteurs Lyrics

Post by Arran_Ramone »

All of "You Don't Understand Me". (Who is the fool? The fool or the fool that you are fooling?) Yet another song that really has an emotional connection to me.
I think that's really a testament to Jack's talent as a song writer... His songs have so many levels to them, and they become so important to so many different people for so many different reasons.

On the other end of the spectrum, I love the lyrics to "Intimate Secretary" too.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Arran_Ramone wrote:All of "You Don't Understand Me". (Who is the fool? The fool or the fool that you are fooling?) Yet another song that really has an emotional connection to me.
I think that's really a testament to Jack's talent as a song writer... His songs have so many levels to them, and they become so important to so many different people for so many different reasons.
The question about Racs songs, though, is-- How many of the lyrics are Jack's? They've said before that he plays guitar parts that Brendan wrote, Brendan sings melodies Jack wrote, etc. Lyrics could very well be the same scenario. Most of Jack's writing seems to be pretty distinctive, but I'm not familiar enough with Brendan's songwriting to pick out lyrics in tunes Jack sings that might be his.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Arran_Ramone
Little Cream Soda

Post by Arran_Ramone »

Kali Durga wrote:
Arran_Ramone wrote:All of "You Don't Understand Me". (Who is the fool? The fool or the fool that you are fooling?) Yet another song that really has an emotional connection to me.
The question about Racs songs, though, is-- How many of the lyrics are Jack's? They've said before that he plays guitar parts that Brendan wrote, Brendan sings melodies Jack wrote, etc. Lyrics could very well be the same scenario. Most of Jack's writing seems to be pretty distinctive, but I'm not familiar enough with Brendan's songwriting to pick out lyrics in tunes Jack sings that might be his.

For Jack's song writing talent, I meant that more generally over all of his music- But you raise a very good point! I always presumed YDUM was written by Jack, but I certainly could be wrong. Either way, the song is great!
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

Probably stating the obvious here, but the Raconteurs intrigue is B & J's combined songwriting ability. Would really enjoy a new album from them AND a tour.
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Arran_Ramone wrote:
Arran_Ramone wrote:I think that's really a testament to Jack's talent as a song writer... His songs have so many levels to them, and they become so important to so many different people for so many different reasons.
For Jack's song writing talent, I meant that more generally over all of his music-
I agree with this wholeheartedly. The man is too often overlooked as a lyricist.
anonymousbrunette wrote:Probably stating the obvious here, but the Raconteurs intrigue is B & J's combined songwriting ability. Would really enjoy a new album from them AND a tour.
This, too.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
21x3
Little Bird

Post by 21x3 »

first one off the top of my head is the switch and the spur, although not my very favorite, the lyrics are memorable, especially this: ...so enter this path but heed these four words-you shall never return!

carolina drama-amazing story i could listen to all day-tense and gripping

now that you have my attention-what are you going to do-you may have good intentions, but they're not coming through....

and more i can't think of right now. :)
We are in a world all our own. Nobody understands any of this. I just try not to talk about it too much.
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

My favorites are the ones they are going to sing the night of 9/14.
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
steppy357
Little Bird

Post by steppy357 »

See if I care
And see if I stand firm or if I fall
Cause in the back of my mind,
and on the tip of my tongue
is the answer to it all...

I can't count how many times I've felt this way.. LOVE IT
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

I suppose this is the right place for this?
So while doing some of my course work I stumbled upon the title of a book which I didn't know, Song of Solomon.
I figured I'd be the studious type and do some research on it in order to have a better understanding of the piece that referenced it.
Well, from what I started to read I saw some striking smiliarities to "Carolina Drama".
It's all there, the Milkman, III, violence, etc.
All speculation of course, but maybe some influence for that song came from this work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_of_Solomon_(novel)
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
koala
Little Acorn

Post by koala »

chaptertwentyone wrote:I suppose this is the right place for this?
So while doing some of my course work I stumbled upon the title of a book which I didn't know, Song of Solomon.
I figured I'd be the studious type and do some research on it in order to have a better understanding of the piece that referenced it.
Well, from what I started to read I saw some striking smiliarities to "Carolina Drama".
All speculation of course, but maybe some influence for that song came from this work.

That does sound very similar!
So by saying "If you must know the truth about the tale... Go and ask the milkman" he means that no one can actually know what the real TRUTH is, just their own version of the story?
I guess I have accomplished my life's goal of finding out who the milkman is now
koala
Little Acorn

Post by koala »

I really like the line "The white milk dripped down with the blood"
I'm not sure why but I guess because of the picture it paints and the strong combination of the colours red and white.

Also, Hands. I think it's a very cute song
Thinkfirst
Little Bird

Post by Thinkfirst »

koala wrote:

So by saying "If you must know the truth about the tale... Go and ask the milkman" he means that no one can actually know what the real TRUTH is, just their own version of the story?
I guess I have accomplished my life's goal of finding out who the milkman is now
I once read Billy himself is the milkman. Could be if you think about it, i'll try to search for the explanation.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

koala wrote:

That reminds me of one of the old Letters From the White Stripes that Jack wrote. The date on this one was August 2003, here's the pertinent excerpt--
three people are sitting on a bench, one of them, let's call her amazing says to one of the others, let's call him mr. Cotton, don't you think that the sun burns beautifully? and mr. Cotton replies (truthfully this time) well amazing, is it not my right to deny the beauty of the sun, even when it shines in my face?, must I always agree with you for you are my mother? amazing replies, it is impossible for mother and son to always have the same opinions, but until you are of an age when your experience proves you worthy, when I doth say the sun shines sweetly, thou must reply ‘‘as you see it mother, as you see it, it does!’’”” now there are no problems here so far, children will want their freedom, and will challenge the authority at times as their minds grow closer to maturity, this is not disputed. But the third person had something interesting to say. Her name was exemplify, and she was not happy at the state of the union. She quietly spoke”” don’’t you both know that there are three truths?”” amazing and mr. Cotton said ““no we have not heard of this.”” exemplify then states and I quote ““one truth is what your own perception is, the other truth is what the collective perception is, and the third truth is THE truth, the only one that cannot bend and is constant for as long as the object, feeling, emotion, or instance lasts, this is the truth that only god knows, and that we only pretend to comprehend.””
A silence fell on the other two, they had stopped twitching their legs on the bench, and the air was humid now, but pleasantly. The bench was now a truth in three different ways. Were they in line with the one true truth, or were their own perceptions being clouded by outside influence. ““Is it wrong to state anything at this point?”” said mr. Cotton. Bewildered. Mother knows best and calmed him with a stroke of her arm on his shoulder. They were in this together. Exemplify laughed and slowly rose, the bench turned blood red and the beast within exemplify showed itself only for a second, the eyes turned white and the others looked as if they didn’’t know what they saw what they saw what they saw, exemplify excused herself and walked off. Mother and child did not mention to each other what they thought they saw. Each one debating alone, afraid to bring to light what they may not have known to be true.
3rdmwsiy
Little Cream Soda

Post by 3rdmwsiy »

Some one mentioned the end of this verse earlier but the whole passage deserves its spot on this list...

Any poor soul that trespass against us, whether it be beast or man
Will suffer the slights and be stoned dead on sight by those who inhabit this land
For theirs is the power and this is their kingdom, as sure as the sun does burn
So, enter this path but ye who's for words "You shall never return"

So epic!! I can just see the words carved on some broken down sign out west somewhere along the dusty trail
Safety first...then teamwork