Best version of Blue Veins?

Discuss The Racs here
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Re: Best version of Blue Veins?

Post by Alabama Woody »

Stl_ben wrote:
Alabama Woody wrote:
Stl_ben wrote:I prefer the LP studio version.
You are in one of those moods today :wave: Take your Meds !
I just like studio recordings better than live recordings....is that acceptable?
Studio recordings do sound better but live versions are way more interesting, especially with JW.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

love_islander wrote:
koala wrote:Which was the one they showed on It Might Get Loud where his fingers were bleeding?
I thought that was the Live In London recording?
I thought that clip came from a show in Texas.

My other favorite performance of Blue Veins was from the 9:30 Club in 2008, a show I'm sure Ara was at and that I could have been at if I'd not been late to the whole Jack White party. Incredible tension in the guitar solo-- http://www.npr.org/2008/05/27/90769922/ ... in-concert
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
grumblestiltskin
Little Ghost

Post by grumblestiltskin »

Though I haven't done a whole lot of research, my fave is the one missed off the TMR LP. Really brilliant.

It's a shame that Blue Veins hasn't really been given an outing by Jack solo (just twice and only on the Blunderbuss tour I believe?), but then I'm not sure if it would really work with the current band...(prove me wrong Mr White)...
Patient B1003
Thinkfirst
Little Bird

Post by Thinkfirst »

grumblestiltskin wrote:Though I haven't done a whole lot of research, my fave is the one missed off the TMR LP. Really brilliant.

It's a shame that Blue Veins hasn't really been given an outing by Jack solo (just twice and only on the Blunderbuss tour I believe?), but then I'm not sure if it would really work with the current band...(prove me wrong Mr White)...
He actually said in an interview that he tried, but some songs just don't work with this band, and Blue Veins being one of them.
I'm actually sad he doesn't play Carolina Drama more often, it seems to me that this band is perfect for that song.
He played it once in Belgium (and also at some other shows around that period) and that was just the one time i couldn't go, because i had went studying abroad :cry:

Oh, well..
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Thinkfirst wrote:
grumblestiltskin wrote:Though I haven't done a whole lot of research, my fave is the one missed off the TMR LP. Really brilliant.

He actually said in an interview that he tried, but some songs just don't work with this band, and Blue Veins being one of them.
I've heard one of the Blue Veins attempts from the Blunderbuss tour. It was not good, he was wise to abandon it. The Buzzards just did not seem to get that song, and even Jack sounded like he was just going through the motions. I wondered at the time whether the Peacocks, being women, might get the passion of that song better than the guys did, but I think it's just as well Jack decided to keep it only for the Racs. Having been involved in the writing of the song, Brendan, PK, and LJ most definitely understood what that song needs.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."