Are These Concert Posters Real?

Rob Jones, Print Mafia, Lil Tuffy and more...
User avatar
AJ123
Little Ghost
Posts: 1298
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:41 am
Location: Southern California

Are These Concert Posters Real?

Post by AJ123 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:36 am

Found these on amazon for cheap. Are they legit or just copies or something?
http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Weather-Post ... _hg_text_y
http://www.amazon.com/Raconteurs-Concer ... y_hg_img_y
http://www.amazon.com/Band-Skulls-Poste ... ert+poster
Looks like they are all done by "mike thrasher".
So are these worth ordering? They look pretty cool

User avatar
mojoryan
Little People
Posts: 4611
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:05 pm
Location: Cincinnati, Oh

Re: Are These Concert Posters Real?

Post by mojoryan » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:44 am

AJ123 wrote:Found these on amazon for cheap. Are they legit or just copies or something?
http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Weather-Post ... _hg_text_y
http://www.amazon.com/Raconteurs-Concer ... y_hg_img_y
http://www.amazon.com/Band-Skulls-Poste ... ert+poster
Looks like they are all done by "mike thrasher".
So are these worth ordering? They look pretty cool
If you like them, and you have the money, then yes, they are worth ordering. "Worth" is very subjective, especially around these parts.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5

User avatar
AJ123
Little Ghost
Posts: 1298
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:41 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Are These Concert Posters Real?

Post by AJ123 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:10 am

mojoryan wrote:
AJ123 wrote:Found these on amazon for cheap. Are they legit or just copies or something?
http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Weather-Post ... _hg_text_y
http://www.amazon.com/Raconteurs-Concer ... y_hg_img_y
http://www.amazon.com/Band-Skulls-Poste ... ert+poster
Looks like they are all done by "mike thrasher".
So are these worth ordering? They look pretty cool
If you like them, and you have the money, then yes, they are worth ordering. "Worth" is very subjective, especially around these parts.
I want to know if they are REAL promo posters or just reprints?
Do you guys have any of these posters?

User avatar
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant
Posts: 7265
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:48 pm
Location: st louis missouri
Contact:

Re: Are These Concert Posters Real?

Post by Stl_ben » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:13 am

They are not imaginary posters....
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net

User avatar
AJ123
Little Ghost
Posts: 1298
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:41 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Are These Concert Posters Real?

Post by AJ123 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:14 am

Stl_ben wrote:They are not imaginary posters....
:roll:

User avatar
mojoryan
Little People
Posts: 4611
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:05 pm
Location: Cincinnati, Oh

Re: Are These Concert Posters Real?

Post by mojoryan » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:16 am

AJ123 wrote:
mojoryan wrote:
AJ123 wrote:Found these on amazon for cheap. Are they legit or just copies or something?
http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Weather-Post ... _hg_text_y
http://www.amazon.com/Raconteurs-Concer ... y_hg_img_y
http://www.amazon.com/Band-Skulls-Poste ... ert+poster
Looks like they are all done by "mike thrasher".
So are these worth ordering? They look pretty cool
If you like them, and you have the money, then yes, they are worth ordering. "Worth" is very subjective, especially around these parts.
I want to know if they are REAL promo posters or just reprints?
Do you guys have any of these posters?
I don't have them. But again, it really depends on why you want them? Are you interested in buying them for potential future "value?" Or, are you thinking of buying them because you like them? Not trying to give you hell, but it's a legit question.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5

User avatar
AJ123
Little Ghost
Posts: 1298
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:41 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Are These Concert Posters Real?

Post by AJ123 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:18 am

mojoryan wrote:
AJ123 wrote:
mojoryan wrote:
AJ123 wrote:Found these on amazon for cheap. Are they legit or just copies or something?
http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Weather-Post ... _hg_text_y
http://www.amazon.com/Raconteurs-Concer ... y_hg_img_y
http://www.amazon.com/Band-Skulls-Poste ... ert+poster
Looks like they are all done by "mike thrasher".
So are these worth ordering? They look pretty cool
If you like them, and you have the money, then yes, they are worth ordering. "Worth" is very subjective, especially around these parts.
I want to know if they are REAL promo posters or just reprints?
Do you guys have any of these posters?
I don't have them. But again, it really depends on why you want them? Are you interested in buying them for potential future "value?" Or, are you thinking of buying them because you like them? Not trying to give you hell, but it's a legit question.
Not for value. I like them but I can't stand fakes or reprints. I like the original promo posters that were in record shops and stuff to promote the concert. I don't have the money for many concert posters that are actually sold at the concert so these look like the next best thing.

User avatar
mojoryan
Little People
Posts: 4611
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:05 pm
Location: Cincinnati, Oh

Re: Are These Concert Posters Real?

Post by mojoryan » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:25 am

AJ123 wrote:
mojoryan wrote:
AJ123 wrote:
mojoryan wrote:
AJ123 wrote:Found these on amazon for cheap. Are they legit or just copies or something?
http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Weather-Post ... _hg_text_y
http://www.amazon.com/Raconteurs-Concer ... y_hg_img_y
http://www.amazon.com/Band-Skulls-Poste ... ert+poster
Looks like they are all done by "mike thrasher".
So are these worth ordering? They look pretty cool
If you like them, and you have the money, then yes, they are worth ordering. "Worth" is very subjective, especially around these parts.
I want to know if they are REAL promo posters or just reprints?
Do you guys have any of these posters?
I don't have them. But again, it really depends on why you want them? Are you interested in buying them for potential future "value?" Or, are you thinking of buying them because you like them? Not trying to give you hell, but it's a legit question.
Not for value. I like them but I can't stand fakes or reprints. I like the original promo posters that were in record shops and stuff to promote the concert. I don't have the money for many concert posters that are actually sold at the concert so these look like the next best thing.
Ahh...now you're talking. I wish I had an answer for you, but I can't say for sure. I would be suspicious of them for the mere fact that there are so many, but again, I could be wrong. Anyone have any more thoughts for this young man?
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5

User avatar
AJ123
Little Ghost
Posts: 1298
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:41 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Are These Concert Posters Real?

Post by AJ123 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:41 am

I looked up the seller and they say they have been collecting posters from Portland, Oregon for awhile and that is where the promoter "Mike Thrasher" is located so they seem legit. They are more like flyers though. only 11x17.

User avatar
Moller72
Little Ghost
Posts: 3151
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:26 am

Re: Are These Concert Posters Real?

Post by Moller72 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:45 pm

AJ123 wrote:I looked up the seller and they say they have been collecting posters from Portland, Oregon for awhile and that is where the promoter "Mike Thrasher" is located so they seem legit. They are more like flyers though. only 11x17.
I believe that is the size of most promo posters I have the dead weather set from sea of cowards and they are all 11x17.

User avatar
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant
Posts: 8718
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:32 pm

Re: Are These Concert Posters Real?

Post by rsimms3 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:03 pm

These are typical slicks that are used to promote a show. They hang these all over the place including telephone poles, at the venue, give them out on the street, put them on ticket booths, etc. Anywhere they can get away with posting these they will. Official? Yes. Collectible? Not really. They usually just use a generic headshot of the band from their presskit along with the date/time/etc. If you like them, get them but I wouldn't expect anyone to trade you for them in the future.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom

User avatar
AJ123
Little Ghost
Posts: 1298
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:41 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Are These Concert Posters Real?

Post by AJ123 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:23 pm

I'm going to go ahead and order them. They say only between 3-500 were produced varying by poster

User avatar
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant
Posts: 7265
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:48 pm
Location: st louis missouri
Contact:

Re: Are These Concert Posters Real?

Post by Stl_ben » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:31 pm

AJ123 wrote:I'm going to go ahead and order them. They say only between 3-500 were produced varying by poster
more likely that it was 300-500 of each. If someone only printed 3 they did a horrible job of promoting that show.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net

User avatar
AJ123
Little Ghost
Posts: 1298
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:41 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Are These Concert Posters Real?

Post by AJ123 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:51 pm

Stl_ben wrote:
AJ123 wrote:I'm going to go ahead and order them. They say only between 3-500 were produced varying by poster
more likely that it was 300-500 of each. If someone only printed 3 they did a horrible job of promoting that show.
I meant 300-500. Just my attempt to abbreviate.

User avatar
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost
Posts: 3030
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:51 am
Location: Kentucky
Contact:

Re: Are These Concert Posters Real?

Post by orangeshoeskid » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:02 am

I don't see why someone would want these. They are basically promotional trash, but if you like it, go for it. I'm sure I've got some stuff people would regard as trash.
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+

Post Reply