Gigposter: Washington DC 08

Rob Jones, Print Mafia, Lil Tuffy and more...
MegBot3000
Site Admin

Gigposter: Washington DC 08

Post by MegBot3000 »

This topic is dedicated to any poor souls who trespass against The Raconteurs gigposter for their show in Washington, DC 2008 by Rob Jones.

WhiteSwirl takes no responsibility for MegBot malfunctions.
harvestgirl
spinning top mama

Re: Gigposter: Washington DC 08

Post by harvestgirl »

i'll have to get some pics of mine ( still not framed :o ) ~ it does however have everyones siggys, which i think is pretty cool.

jack signed on a different night ( in nashsville) and had a sharpie... lol so ofcourse his name stand out a bit more, but i like it b.c they all chose they spot they wanted to sign.
"Doodled on your Milwaukee 03 as well (white flowers, cups of coffee, and love letters)"
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

This poster kicked off my obsession with the Racs lobby card series and the meaning behind it. The printing credit reads "Printed by D&L in the fourth bolgia" and once you start thinking about that all hell breaks loose, quite literally.
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

7th_son wrote:This poster kicked off my obsession with the Racs lobby card series and the meaning behind it. The printing credit reads "Printed by D&L in the fourth bolgia" and once you start thinking about that all hell breaks loose, quite literally.
Expound, please.

This was my first Rob Jones poster. It hangs above our bed.
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

anonymousbrunette wrote:
7th_son wrote:This poster kicked off my obsession with the Racs lobby card series and the meaning behind it. The printing credit reads "Printed by D&L in the fourth bolgia" and once you start thinking about that all hell breaks loose, quite literally.
Expound, please.

This was my first Rob Jones poster. It hangs above our bed.
Well... the fourth bolgia is a reference to the eighth circle of hell in the Dante's Inferno, part of The Devine Comedy. There is a thread on EB that explores the lobby card series and Rob's meaning behind it all in some depth over on expressobeans.

Are you aware of the National Screen Service numbers and associated Steve McQueen films for each of these posters?
Kaber
Little People

n/a

Post by Kaber »

n/a
Last edited by Kaber on Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

Kaber wrote:
It would be good to have the meaning behind posters over on here rather than sending folks to EB....
You're absolutely correct Chris. Starting at the beginning with this series feels like a daunting task at the moment. Maybe we can kick off some discussion on this series in this thread and take it from there.

Here's something, Rob has laid out a particular order for this series based on the number in the lobby card box.
This happens to be number:
3. Washington, DC NSS# 62/152: Hell is for Heroes.
Kaber
Little People

n/a

Post by Kaber »

n/a
Last edited by Kaber on Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

Kaber wrote:
7th_son wrote:
Kaber wrote:
It would be good to have the meaning behind posters over on here rather than sending folks to EB....
You're absolutely correct Chris. Starting at the beginning with this series feels like a daunting task at the moment. Maybe we can kick off some discussion on this series in this thread and take it from there.
To me the posters make most sense one beside the other - like a journey....

Personally I'm missing The Seattle and Bonnaroo. Don't think Bonnaroo is essential to the story ???

Here is the illustrated order, with some help from a quote from Rob:
RobJones wrote: The larger photobusta looking ones (Seattle and Memphis) were just scenes I wanted to show that didn't fit in the LC series. For example I was remiss I couldn't show the ship hauling the container from the Cincy poster because I knew what it would look like (I wanted it big and faster looking than the normal clunkers seen in other posters). It didn't make sense to me to make a LC that shows action that essentially occurs a minute after another one, so I made the larger version to set it apart.

Same with the Memphis one as the action there happens not too long after what is seen in the D.C. poster.

Had the tour continued, I would have done larger posters of the other two boys as well as few others that related to group scenes I wasn't able to get to. So it goes.
I'm not sure I know where Bonnaroo fits in, can someone tell us the details from the lobby card label?

Unnumbered prequel

1 Detroit

2 Ferarra

3 Washington DC / Memphis
ImageImage

4 New York

5 Boston

6 Vancouver

7 Cincinatti / Seattle
ImageImage

8 Portland
Scheckywhite
everything you hate...

Post by Scheckywhite »

i dont get any of this.
I wish I was purple, because I'm feeling blue. I'm not looking for love, but a good fuck'll do.
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

Scheckywhite wrote:i dont get any of this.
If you look at the Steve McQueen movie (NSS number on each poster) it seems to reference something about the plot of each poster. Interpretation is somewhat subjective, but there is a clear story happening here. Each print also contains a clue or two in the printing credits and/or title. For example, take Boston 08:

Clues:

7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

To save some work and expediate things, here are the results of some clues. The NSS numbers and corresponding McQueen film. Reading (or watching) about each film sheds some light on the choice and perhaps the fantastic journey these cowboys are on.

2006 Tour

Chicago NYE “Conjunction” 60/304: The Magnificent Seven

Chicago 30 Dec “Conjunction Deux” 63/184: The Great Escape

2008 Tour

1. Detroit 70/7: The Reivers

2. Ferrara, Italy 59/309: Somebody Up There Likes Me

3. Washington, DC 62/152: Hell is for Heroes
3a. Memphis 74/18: Papillon, titled “DELTA”

4. New York 80/55: The Hunter

5. Boston 74/341: The Towering Inferno

6. Vancouver 62/435: The War Lover

7. Cincinnati 65/252: The Cincinnati kid
7a. Seattle 71/153: Le Mans, titled “BRAVO”

8. Portland 67/48: The Sand Pebbles
Scheckywhite
everything you hate...

Post by Scheckywhite »

ok i get it a little now... whats si-yu studios?
I wish I was purple, because I'm feeling blue. I'm not looking for love, but a good fuck'll do.
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

I should mention that many people contributed to the finding of these above clues and piecing this puzzle together, namely kevron6 and sabotage had a big hand, among many others. I'm also not saying we have any clue what we're talking about. :lol:
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

Scheckywhite wrote:ok i get it a little now... whats si-yu studios?
As far as I know, that is a fictional studio of Rob's creating. As if that were the studio that produced the "films" that the lobby cards are advertising. It is consistently on each poster in the series. I'm not sure why he chose that particular name though, but I'm guessing there is a reason.