Start collection

Stylophones to Rob Jones
leo
Little Bird

Start collection

Post by leo »

I'm 15 and have been a jack white fan for a couple years now. The raconteurs are my favorite then white stripes then the dead weather. I am literally an obscesor. Any way I only have a couple vinyls nothing special but I want to get a tmr collection started. Any advice?
hawke000

Re: Start collection

Post by hawke000 »

leo wrote:I'm 15 and have been a jack white fan for a couple years now. The raconteurs are my favorite then white stripes then the dead weather. I am literally an obscesor. Any way I only have a couple vinyls nothing special but I want to get a tmr collection started. Any advice?
I'm not kidding... stay a fan and not a collector, you don't want to go down this road at 15...
TheHen0
Little Ghost

Post by TheHen0 »

First of all.. http://thepluralofvinyl.com/
I'd say start with getting a bunch of standard 7"s and sign up for the vault.
Then get some more early TWS 7"s and recent vault stuff.
Moller72
Little Ghost

Post by Moller72 »

I have to agree with hawke.
pj101ca
Little Acorn

Post by pj101ca »

Drop out of school and get a really high-paying job
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

What ever you are into now you probably won't be into in 5 years, a lot is about to change in your life (most likely.) save your money for a car, gas, dates...enjoy life. Sit around collecting stuff when you get older and bored
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
leo
Little Bird

Post by leo »

Stl_ben wrote:What ever you are into now you probably won't be into in 5 years, a lot is about to change in your life (most likely.) save your money for a car, gas, dates...enjoy life. Sit around collecting stuff when you get older and bored
I'm also looking at this like an investment I've been looking at eBay stuffs prices have been going up like crazy
csbanta
Little Acorn

Post by csbanta »

leo wrote:I'm 15 and have been a jack white fan for a couple years now. The raconteurs are my favorite then white stripes then the dead weather. I am literally an obscesor. Any way I only have a couple vinyls nothing special but I want to get a tmr collection started. Any advice?
Fall in love with the music as it sounds like you are, and search out other great bands that fit the sound u love. I got into blues rock/garage rock at 15ish after hearing The Black Keys for the first time. Changed my life when i saw them at Indy Jazz Fest.They instantly became my favorite band. Collect all u like, but go to a show before u buy a record IMO. Create a experience to go with your love for a band. It'll will only grow your obsession more. Also, picking up and instrument if u already haven't helps you connect to the tone and style you love. Join a band, create joy for someone else down the road. I would say start with some of your favorite albums and just go from there. Welcome aboard.
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

My advice is if you like the raconteurs, then you should have no problem picking up a lot of their stuff while it is still relatively cheap - go nuts on them!
BluNtMarLey
Little Cream Soda

Post by BluNtMarLey »

leo wrote:
Stl_ben wrote:What ever you are into now you probably won't be into in 5 years, a lot is about to change in your life (most likely.) save your money for a car, gas, dates...enjoy life. Sit around collecting stuff when you get older and bored
I'm also looking at this like an investment I've been looking at eBay stuffs prices have been going up like crazy
Definately the wrong reason to start collecting. The market fluctuates from time to time. Im with banta in this. Go for the things you like and build off on that
achouza
Little Ghost

Post by achouza »

hmmm

i would agree that you shouldnt look at this as an investment,, odds are this will be a much bigger cash drain so dont trick yourself into thinking you will make money over long term,,

not to say you shouldnt start collecting,, i would start out trying to get any limited release that you can still get for face value,, ie the vault subscriptions, or try to get limited releases if you live in nashville or if they sell limited releases in your area,, as mentioned above, if you're a big racs fan you can start collecting some of their 7s which are out of print but probably wont be more than 10-15 bucks a pop,, same with white stripes, you can probably find some of their out of print 7s for cheap if you always put in very low bids on ebay,, research average prices on popsike.com and go into gixen.com and put in low snipes for records,, you will win some good cheap stuff every once in a while... also look on this board for people selling stuff cheap,,
<<<< Ahuevooo! >>>>
Grimtale
Little People

Post by Grimtale »

Right now might be the peak of a hype cycle as well with Jack on tour. Stuff seems to settle greatly in between his live activities. I try to play it wise and wait out the hype and buy when people are needing money at Christmas and for summer vacations.
Grim
I am everything you hate...
Kaber
Little People

Post by Kaber »

As you are so young you probably won't
consider this relevant but there is a saying
'you can't take it with you'

For me it's first and foremost about the music
If it doesn't ring my bell I don't need a rare
pressing of it.
Jack White is here for the long term
- you won't be able to own all the stuff of his
so find a focus eg tour posters , 7s ,
album related stuff etc
leo
Little Bird

Post by leo »

Just added vault 10 sealed to my collection I got it for 68 bucks on eBay did I do well?
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

leo wrote:Just added vault 10 sealed to my collection I got it for 68 bucks on eBay did I do well?
I'd say you did quite well. Considering it cost $60 to start with, $8 over the original price is a great deal.
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+