Collecting Buttons

Whatever's on your mind, spill it here
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Re: Collecting Buttons

Post by rsimms3 »

Alabama Woody wrote:
rsimms3 wrote:
MWooten34 wrote:Is something like a jacket the primary way to keep/display these things? I think there are some cool buttons but I'd want to be able to show them off.
For the 1" buttons I remove the pin and put in a magnet so I can display them on my metal white board.
Have you found a source for the magnets already the proper size and thickness or do you cut down your own? Care to share your source.

I bought a black framed cork board recently to put a bunch of mine on.
It won't hold them all. Like the magnet idea.
Most hobby stores sell packs of magnets. Last ones I bought were 50 to a pack and .75 inch or 19mm in diameter.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/25844890?wmls ... 90&veh=sem

If you take a file or some rough sand paper around the edge they will fit into the back of 1" pins snuggly or you can cut them in half with an old pair of scissors and put them in. Either way is good, I usually prefer cutting them in half since it's easier.

Image Image
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

rsimms3 wrote:
Alabama Woody wrote:
rsimms3 wrote:
MWooten34 wrote:Is something like a jacket the primary way to keep/display these things? I think there are some cool buttons but I'd want to be able to show them off.
For the 1" buttons I remove the pin and put in a magnet so I can display them on my metal white board.
Have you found a source for the magnets already the proper size and thickness or do you cut down your own? Care to share your source.

I bought a black framed cork board recently to put a bunch of mine on.
It won't hold them all. Like the magnet idea.
Most hobby stores sell packs of magnets. Last ones I bought were 50 to a pack and .75 inch or 19mm in diameter.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/25844890?wmls ... 90&veh=sem

If you take a file or some rough sand paper around the edge they will fit into the back of 1" pins snuggly or you can cut them in half with an old pair of scissors and put them in. Either way is good, I usually prefer cutting them in half since it's easier.

Image Image
Thanks ! So they stick out of the back of the pins enough to hold them in place ?
Interesting that Walmart has 100 cheaper than 50 ....
I'm definitely going to give it a try, thank you.

I guess the thickness makes it stick out just a little bit out the back.

I don't want to loose mine so I've never put them on a jacket. I wear some pins some time. The kind that have a push pin and backing.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

rsimms3 wrote:If you take a file or some rough sand paper around the edge they will fit into the back of 1" pins snuggly or you can cut them in half with an old pair of scissors and put them in. Either way is good, I usually prefer cutting them in half since it's easier.

Image Image
Nicely done!
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

I can't remember where or when I found this dog... I think it was on clearance at a Victoria Secret or something. He ended up being where most of our buttons go. We've still got quite a few elsewhere, but most end up on the dog... appropriately, his name is buttons.
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
cwja
Little Ghost

Post by cwja »

I like that dog! Really cool idea.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

orangeshoeskid wrote:I can't remember where or when I found this dog... I think it was on clearance at a Victoria Secret or something. He ended up being where most of our buttons go. We've still got quite a few elsewhere, but most end up on the dog... appropriately, his name is buttons.
Love it !
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

@ Woody

Yeah, they are thick enough so that they the buttons stick to the magnet and the magnet will stick to your metal object securely. If you cut them in half you'll still need to wedge them in a little bit. I've never pulled a button off of my board and left the magnet on the board. Before I had this metal whiteboard I had them on my fridge.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

anonymousbrunette wrote:
rsimms3 wrote:If you take a file or some rough sand paper around the edge they will fit into the back of 1" pins snuggly or you can cut them in half with an old pair of scissors and put them in. Either way is good, I usually prefer cutting them in half since it's easier.

Image Image
Nicely done!
I had not thought about using the magnets to display my ticket stubs ....
Got to track down a big metal board.

Maybe they have framed white boards at hobby lobby or other craft stores. I got my cork framed board at half price at hobby lobby.
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

rsimms3 wrote:@ Woody

Yeah, they are thick enough so that they the buttons stick to the magnet and the magnet will stick to your metal object securely. If you cut them in half you'll still need to wedge them in a little bit. I've never pulled a button off of my board and left the magnet on the board. Before I had this metal whiteboard I had them on my fridge.
Thanks for all the info, I was fixing to ask if you had to glue the magnet to the button. Sounds like I am making it harder than it is ! Have to ask though. I have been meaning to do this. I would much rather put magnet on them than attach them to cloth. I thought about putting them all over my speakers but I could not bring myself to do it. I have some nice speakers. An old vintage pair would look awesome with buttons all over them !
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

I'm going to have to dig throughout my buttons and magnets but I don't recall the magnet like you have that is of a record. When about did you acquire this? Get it at TMR. I'm going to have to see if I have one, that is a cool looking.
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
hxcoliver
Little Acorn

Post by hxcoliver »

Alabama Woody wrote:I'm going to have to dig throughout my buttons and magnets but I don't recall the magnet like you have that is of a record. When about did you acquire this? Get it at TMR. I'm going to have to see if I have one, that is a cool looking.
That big one? That's a button from sxsw, 2012 I believe
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

hxcoliver wrote:
Alabama Woody wrote:I'm going to have to dig throughout my buttons and magnets but I don't recall the magnet like you have that is of a record. When about did you acquire this? Get it at TMR. I'm going to have to see if I have one, that is a cool looking.
Thanks, I couldn't remember if it was SXSW or Dessert Gold.

Several of those on my board are pinbacks, the magnets are thick enough that they still stick to the board despite having the pin in them that can't be removed.
hxcoliver
Little Acorn

Post by hxcoliver »

orangeshoeskid wrote:I can't remember where or when I found this dog... I think it was on clearance at a Victoria Secret or something. He ended up being where most of our buttons go. We've still got quite a few elsewhere, but most end up on the dog... appropriately, his name is buttons.
Haha this is funny!

Also, would you wanna get rid of one of those "I heart meg" buttons? I see quite a few on that dog
hxcoliver
Little Acorn

Post by hxcoliver »

rsimms3 wrote:
hxcoliver wrote:
Thanks, I couldn't remember if it was SXSW or Dessert Gold.

Several of those on my board are pinbacks, the magnets are thick enough that they still stick to the board despite having the pin in them that can't be removed.
We're there any buttons for desert gold?
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

I can't remember, it's all a blur these days. All I know is that when you see some buttons for sale, best snatch 'em up because 9 times out of 10 you'll never see them for sale again.