Collecting Buttons

Whatever's on your mind, spill it here
MWooten34
Little Cream Soda

Collecting Buttons

Post by MWooten34 »

For those of you who are button collectors, two questions: Why? and How exactly? I've never really thought about it but I just picked a button up on limited/cool factor alone and figure why not get into collecting them more seriously. Thoughts are much appreciated.
greginchains
Little Ghost

Re: Collecting Buttons

Post by greginchains »

Well, I've got a jacket for the sole purpose of patches and buttons. Every vacation city I visit, or tourist attraction, I track down a patch and a fridge magnet for. Bands and record label pins/bottoms also go on the jacket. TMR dominates as the most items attached to the jacket and once a pic of my tmr patches was photographed and tweeted by swank while at Mi-test. It's just one more thing to collect. Have fun with it!
I only wanted to be good enough, but I'm not.
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

I started collecting buttons when I was 12/13. It was the era of Levi jackets, and no self-respecting music fan/metal-head would be caught dead without them. I stopped "collecting" them, per se, when I was probably 21, but every once in a while I'll snatch one up. I can't explain-beyond the nostalgia of it-the "why."
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

greginchains wrote:...and once a pic of my tmr patches was photographed and tweeted by swank while at Mi-test. ..
True story...my son (who was wearing his Levi jacket full of pins...apple and the tree, and what-not) was in that pic with him.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
greginchains
Little Ghost

Post by greginchains »

mojoryan wrote:
greginchains wrote:...and once a pic of my tmr patches was photographed and tweeted by swank while at Mi-test. ..
True story...my son (who was wearing his Levi jacket full of pins...apple and the tree, and what-not) was in that pic with him.
He sure was. Forgot about that. What a helluva fantastic time we had!!!
I only wanted to be good enough, but I'm not.
MWooten34
Little Cream Soda

Post by MWooten34 »

So I need to get a jean jacket and go to work? Haha I dig it. I could see picking up a cool button here and there for stuff I find interesting.
hxcoliver
Little Acorn

Post by hxcoliver »

I've always loved buttons since I was in middle school. My backpack used to be full of random buttons, a lot of band stuff. A few here and there on jackets thought out the years.
Since TMR, I've collected their buttons and have them up on a frame. Anything TMR related I try and track down, WS, dead weather, racs, or any special event. I've got a decent collection going.

Also, so god damn jealous you scored the Grim buttons. I missed out on the sale.... And was super stoked when he announced he was making some.
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

I wouldn't call myself a collector, but like everyone else it's nice to have a couple for my old army jacket and captain's hat.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
dcmak5
Little Acorn

Post by dcmak5 »

I wouldn't call myself a collector either but I've picked them up at shows, record stores, and now that they've got coin op button dispensers around town at places like the stone fox/fond object I've found myself grabbing one whenever I'm at either place. though, I've given some of those away to friends.

Last edited by dcmak5 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MWooten34
Little Cream Soda

Post by MWooten34 »

Is something like a jacket the primary way to keep/display these things? I think there are some cool buttons but I'd want to be able to show them off.
josephodonnell
Little Acorn

Post by josephodonnell »

I love buttons! I have an array of the 'I'm A Burger...' series from Burger Records as well as a shit tonne of other random promo ones. I don't really collect them as I intend to wear all of them, only with the exception of Kills pins.

This is my favourite I got from a Record Store when on vacation in North Carolina in the US.
FUCK
FASHION
LETS
SMOKE
MENTHOLS
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

MWooten34 wrote:Is something like a jacket the primary way to keep/display these things? I think there are some cool buttons but I'd want to be able to show them off.
For the 1" buttons I remove the pin and put in a magnet so I can display them on my metal white board.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
MWooten34
Little Cream Soda

Post by MWooten34 »

That sounds like a cool way to do it.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

rsimms3 wrote:
MWooten34 wrote:Is something like a jacket the primary way to keep/display these things? I think there are some cool buttons but I'd want to be able to show them off.
For the 1" buttons I remove the pin and put in a magnet so I can display them on my metal white board.
Have you found a source for the magnets already the proper size and thickness or do you cut down your own? Care to share your source.

I bought a black framed cork board recently to put a bunch of mine on.
It won't hold them all. Like the magnet idea.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
dcmak5
Little Acorn

Post by dcmak5 »

a friends mom collected buttons and kept them pinned to a potato sack (or some other hemp feed sack) that was hanging on the wall

also, meant to say i wouldn't, not would call myself a collector. I just like pins
i'm the same as far as wearing them on jackets, but I've stopped taking some of them out after I lost my "fitna freak" pin at the last freakin weekend, and got lucky enough to find it after the show on the floor after having been stepped all over. I was pissed that i'd almost lost it, but I feel like the only proper way to break in that pin is to have a freakin weekend show audience all step on it lol
Last edited by dcmak5 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.