Random Question Thread

Whatever's on your mind, spill it here
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Re: Random Question Thread

Post by rsimms3 »

I noticed it recently on FB. Nice to see them branch out a little bit.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
koala
Little Acorn

Post by koala »

rsimms3 wrote:I noticed it recently on FB. Nice to see them branch out a little bit.
It is. I especially liked that discussion on murder ballads.
But I'm still a little confused.
Datch
Little Acorn

Post by Datch »

koala wrote: Why are there pictures of Leonardo DiCaprio on the Vault 26 thread?
I don't really mind any of it but I'm just curious.
You just need to catch him if you can. Once you do it will all be clear.
“More people know a fragment of his music than know his name.”
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

koala wrote:
rsimms3 wrote:I noticed it recently on FB. Nice to see them branch out a little bit.
The podcast about murder ballads was terrific, I've listened to it a couple of times. The child custody battle movie... made me wonder the same as you, if Jack's run out of projects and taken to the internet (again). The repeat posts of stuff they've already announced multiple times need to stop, they could be announcing more details about Devil's Night instead of re-posting that stuff.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
koala
Little Acorn

Post by koala »

Kali Durga wrote:
koala wrote:
The podcast about murder ballads was terrific, I've listened to it a couple of times. The child custody battle movie... made me wonder the same as you, if Jack's run out of projects and taken to the internet (again). The repeat posts of stuff they've already announced multiple times need to stop, they could be announcing more details about Devil's Night instead of re-posting that stuff.
I made the terrible mistake of looking up Jelly Roll Morton's The Murder Ballad to find out it is a 30 minute song which only gets more insane, and only to find that it was part of an 8 hour session with Alan Lomax (the entirety of which is available for listening). :crazy:
But yes, I do not need to be reminded of Video's live video every day.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

koala wrote:I made the terrible mistake of looking up Jelly Roll Morton's The Murder Ballad to find out it is a 30 minute song which only gets more insane, and only to find that it was part of an 8 hour session with Alan Lomax (the entirety of which is available for listening). :crazy:
Damn, I keep forgetting to download that Lomax/Jelly Roll session, I think it's in the on-line archive of Lomax's recordings. Where'd you find it? And thanks for reminding me!
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
koala
Little Acorn

Post by koala »

Kali Durga wrote:
koala wrote:I made the terrible mistake of looking up Jelly Roll Morton's The Murder Ballad to find out it is a 30 minute song which only gets more insane, and only to find that it was part of an 8 hour session with Alan Lomax (the entirety of which is available for listening). :crazy:
Damn, I keep forgetting to download that Lomax/Jelly Roll session, I think it's in the on-line archive of Lomax's recordings. Where'd you find it? And thanks for reminding me!
I just looked it up on rdio and found it. Haven't heard the rest of it yet though. I haven't really looked for any downloads because I don't think I'll be able to listen to it any time soon. I doubt the Library of Congress session would be on the website.
The whole transcript from that session is here: http://www.doctorjazz.co.uk/locspeech1.html
Warning: That obscenity warning is not adequate.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I thought it was here, but now I can't find it-- http://research.culturalequity.org/home-audio.jsp I need to keep looking, it'd be great to listen to during my daily commute.
koala
Little Acorn

Post by koala »

You can find the New Orleans interviews from that set here http://research.culturalequity.org/get- ... sortBy=abc
I tried looking for the LoC session but couldn't find it. Their search feature is not very convenient.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I could have sworn I found the Jelly Roll Morton interview(s) in that Lomax archive back when the site first went up. Maybe I dreamed it. Oh well.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
runofthemill
Little Ghost

Post by runofthemill »

rsimms3 wrote:How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
http://tinyurl.com/oz5dgr2
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

rsimms3 wrote:How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
How many times can you say that before you flub it?
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Kali Durga wrote:
How many times can you say that before you flub it?
Twice.
koala
Little Acorn

Post by koala »

runofthemill wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/oz5dgr2
That's technically not the correct answer. The question here is how wood WOULD a woodchuck chuck? So that would depend on the willingness of the woodchuck.