CANADA!!!

Whatever's on your mind, spill it here
higherlimits
Little People

Re: CANADA!!!

Post by higherlimits »

-8C on mars? that's balmy! Right now in Edmonton it's -23C with windchill of -30C. That's -9F feels like -22F for the Americans.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

curseofhalos wrote:http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/a ... day/43251/

It's insane that yesterday it was colder in Canada than it was on Mars. Bundle up!
Yes..and winter has just begun. We have been very lucky so far to have a really mild winter (other than a few days in november).
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Canada vs Russia tomorrow. Classic rivalry. Let's go Canada
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

The golden sweep. Three golds this year. Feels good to be back on top.

Sidney Crosby now has a world junior gold, an IIHF gold, an Olympic gold and a Stanley cup. Only a handful of players have a resume like that..
matthewvh
Little Cream Soda

Post by matthewvh »

arewhyehen wrote:The golden sweep. Three golds this year. Feels good to be back on top.

Sidney Crosby now has a world junior gold, an IIHF gold, an Olympic gold and a Stanley cup. Only a handful of players have a resume like that..
^ It's incredible. According to SportsNet (https://twitter.com/SNstats/status/600042983568736256)
Sidney Crosby joins Sakic & Pronger as the only players with:

*Olympic Gold
*Stanley Cup
*World Champ Gold
*World Jr. Gold
*Hart Trophy
Congrats to Canada!

Edit: Did I ever share with you the video of the 2005 World Junior Championship game between Canada and Russia? Here's the link if I didn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScOBAZpCbow

That Canada roster was insane. In total they have a combined 15 or 16 Stanley Cup rings with Colin Fraser having the most with 3. Russia's team was just as crazy, too.
cwja
Little Ghost

Post by cwja »

Fuck you Babcock! Just kidding, don't blame him at all. Way more money and he'll get an extra month or two of vacation every year.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/12920 ... head-coach
pj101ca
Little Acorn

Post by pj101ca »

cwja wrote:Fuck you Babcock! Just kidding, don't blame him at all. Way more money and he'll get an extra month or two of vacation every year.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/12920 ... head-coach
Not worth it for the amount of shit and hate that's gonna get dumped on him. And that's just by leaf fans!!

Gonna regret the decision very soon I bet. He always said he was driven by winning championships, but this goes to show you he's only in it for the money. Could have still gotten lots of money and a far less difficult job by going somewhere else(and probably a better shot at winning a Stanley cup).

todd mclellan > mike babcock
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

No..I think you're all forgetting what Babcock is all about..a challenge. That is exactly what he will have here and it gives him a chance to work with Shanahan again. Detroit is obviously a great team that has done well lately, but everyone likes a challenge at work, or things get real dull, real fast. He was due for a change of scenery.

McLellan over Babcock? HAHAHAHA no way.. He hasn't got half the resume..
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

And I don't think any of you would pass up a job offer for $6-8 million a year
cwja
Little Ghost

Post by cwja »

It's an extra 2+ million, at least over the Wings offer. Not sure what the others were offering. Don't blame him at all, that's a lot of money. Especially over the length of the contract, it's over 15 million, and not many are turning that down. It's all about the money though and good for him.
pj101ca
Little Acorn

Post by pj101ca »

Buffalo was offering just as much i believe. and rumor has it he had already told Buffalo he'd accept their offer and then flipped last second. Sabres had a press conference set up for monday to announce babcock as head coach.

I've got $20 that says mclellan and the oilers finish higher in the standings than toronto next year. The leafs are such a fucking mess. it's hilarious.
cwja
Little Ghost

Post by cwja »

If the money was even I'd much rather live in Toronto than Buffalo. Buffalo is a dump and now you have to worry about Rex Ryan creeping on your feet.
pj101ca
Little Acorn

Post by pj101ca »

cwja wrote:If the money was even I'd much rather live in Toronto than Buffalo. Buffalo is a dump and now you have to worry about Rex Ryan creeping on your feet.
But the pressure of coaching in Toronto is 100x greater than buffalo. Imagine coaching the Cowboys and going 10 straight years without making the playoffs and getting progressively worse each year :)

I just find it hard to believe a guy like babcock wants to go somewhere and spend the next 4-5 years going through a painful rebuild.
cwja
Little Ghost

Post by cwja »

I don't need to imagine it, I remember Wade Phillips.
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

pj101ca wrote:Buffalo was offering just as much i believe. and rumor has it he had already told Buffalo he'd accept their offer and then flipped last second. Sabres had a press conference set up for monday to announce babcock as head coach.

I've got $20 that says mclellan and the oilers finish higher in the standings than toronto next year. The leafs are such a fucking mess. it's hilarious.
Let's go Oilers *clap* *clap* *clap-clap-clap*

I was surprised that Babcock has never been coach of the year and could only manage one Stanley cup on such a great team. I'm actually happier about Mclellan after actually looking at Babcock's meager resume. Sure, Olympic Gold, but I could coach that team to gold.