26%
Nea
74%

Total votes: 34

TheHen0
Little Ghost

Rare vinyl. Keep it sealed?

Post by TheHen0 »

Is there a point in keeping rare records sealed with no intention if getting rid of them?
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Re: Rare vinyl. Keep it sealed?

Post by Stl_ben »

If its your record do what ever you want with it....is there a reseason to get vinyl at all if you could get it easier on MP3...people collect what they collect...end of discussion move along.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Hoochie mama!
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
TheHen0
Little Ghost

Post by TheHen0 »

Stl_ben wrote:If its your record do what ever you want with it....is there a reseason to get vinyl at all if you could get it easier on MP3...people collect what they collect...end of discussion move along.
True. In not trying to change the way people collect, I'm just wondering how many people agree/disagree with me.
And to rsimms, that is the greatest catch phrase of all time.
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

rsimms3 wrote:Hoochie mama!
boof.
he is everything i hate...
TheHen0
Little Ghost

Post by TheHen0 »

elduderino wrote:
rsimms3 wrote:Hoochie mama!
boof.
Oh holy eldude, may I have a catch phrase bestowed upon me?
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Depends on your intentions. I've never kept any of mine sealed because I usually only ever buy one copy for myself. I enjoy it for a while until I find something else I want then I trade it off for another (generally non-sealed) piece. Most here will tell you buy one to keep and one to trade and that's fairly solid advice if you love listening to the vinyl as much as you love the money.

Depends on your intentions and how skilled you are at maintaining opened rare vinyl. I open mine. But I understand why some don't.

(NOTE: I did obtain two copies of the Black Belles Absinthe and it made things infinitely easier during the trading process. I recommend, if you can, buying one to keep, one to trade)
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

I open mine, I store the record in a new sleeve, keep the old sleeve and cover and slide them into a bag. One nice bundle with no seam splits, no circles.

You got to open your vinyl.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
chrono_1980
Little Ghost

Post by chrono_1980 »

I buy a collecting copy and a listening copy. If the collecting record is identifiable without opening it, I leave it sealed.

No way I'd open my orig us zep II for example. Too many better listening versions out there anyways.
jasonbubalo
Little Bird

Post by jasonbubalo »

I have many colored/rare vinyls, sometimes I open them, sometimes I don't. If I have a second copy on black vinyl, the only reason I would be opening it is to look at it, which is many times worth it. I like showing my friends the different variants is pressings, some I have framed on the wall, whatever. When the kills blood pressures came out, I preordered it, not knowing that the first 1000 were pressed on limited edition clear green vinyl. I played it a few times, then I bought a black copy. Now I only listen to the black copy.

Ive also been told by record experts that black vinyl sounds better than colored vinyl, but you would have to have a really expensive record player and well trained ear to actullay.

From an investment standpoint, records are worth more if they are sealed. Opened but never played is not far behind, but it is behind.

Oh and don't get caught up in collecting records, because it will take all of your money.
greginchains
Little Ghost

Post by greginchains »

For preservation of the album covers, gatefolds, and printed inner sleeves, etc, its always better to remove the vinyl from inside and transfer to a plain sleeve. Keep the printed inner sleeve empty inside the cover and store the record outside of everything. That's how I roll................ :)
I only wanted to be good enough, but I'm not.
dagingerrocker
Little Acorn

Post by dagingerrocker »

$100 or over never open it. otherwise yeah, go for it. and if you can, sure get two, keep one sealed and spin the other to your hearts desire
I understand that and you got a point there but this amp goes up to eleven...
rival
Little Ghost

Post by rival »

jasonbubalo wrote:Ive also been told by record experts that black vinyl sounds better than colored vinyl, but you would have to have a really expensive record player and well trained ear to actullay.
This is the only reason records are black. Something about the way the black wax melts and how it's easier to mould/cut.
Hey, it's just a fucking record. Chill.
dagingerrocker
Little Acorn

Post by dagingerrocker »

rival wrote:
jasonbubalo wrote:Ive also been told by record experts that black vinyl sounds better than colored vinyl, but you would have to have a really expensive record player and well trained ear to actullay.
This is the only reason records are black. Something about the way the black wax melts and how it's easier to mould/cut.
this is true and the neadle plays a huge role in the sound quality too
I understand that and you got a point there but this amp goes up to eleven...
BluefordT
Little Ghost

Post by BluefordT »

dagingerrocker wrote:
rival wrote:
this is true and the neadle plays a huge role in the sound quality too
NO SHIT ??????????????????
"No saddly I didn't have enough money from flipping to pay for the car..."
StLBen:Stiben(Elitist Hipster Tool Person)