Last show you attended?

Whatever's on your mind, spill it here
ellisintransit
Little Cream Soda

Re: Last show you attended?

Post by ellisintransit »

littleacorn wrote:
ellisintransit wrote:I also went to the Father John Misty show in Nashville. Last night I saw My Morning Jacket at Headliners in Louisville. The played their whole new album and a 4 song encore. Pretty bad ass to see a band that big in a place that holds 650 people.
Pretty jealous of ya! How's the new album sounding live?
It was outstanding. Since the new album leaked I was able to listen to it 3-4 times on the way to the show. I think the album is awesome (but I think they're all awesome haha), and live the sound was incredible. All those songs are going to fit in great with all the classics. When the drums on Believe kicked in, major goosebumps. I won entry for Monday and Tuesday but had to pick one, so I chose the first performance. After seeing the encore for the Tuesday show I was a little jealous because they played Honest Man which is a live white whale for me, and Steam Engine, my favorite song of theirs. BUT, we got a beautiful acoustic solo Bermuda Highway from JJ, a Master Plan like I've never heard before, Carl's Carried Away and Down on the Bottom from The New Basement Tapes, which they jammed the hell out of. Seriously though, the new tunes were really good, mostly stuck to the recorded versions but you could see where they'll be able to jam out a lot of them. The biggest highlights for me were In Its Infancy (The Waterfall)- an instant favorite, and the harmonies in Like a River.

Jack started slowing down and now my other favorite band is springing back to life. It's all good! I'm chomping at the bit for these first two shows in Athens and Knoxville now.
cwja
Little Ghost

Post by cwja »

Sleater-Kinney at the Granada in Dallas last night. Just fantastic.
ellisintransit
Little Cream Soda

Post by ellisintransit »

Primus at the Ryman Wednesday evening. It's awesome getting second row seats that turn in to front row seats thanks to the way the pews curve toward the stage. I also went in expecting to be bored by the Willy Wonka portion of the show, but damn if it wasn't funky as hell. A full cover of Johnny Cash's Cocaine Blues too.

curseofhalos

Post by curseofhalos »

ellisintransit wrote:Primus at the Ryman Wednesday evening. It's awesome getting second row seats that turn in to front row seats thanks to the way the pews curve toward the stage. I also went in expecting to be bored by the Willy Wonka portion of the show, but damn if it wasn't funky as hell. A full cover of Johnny Cash's Cocaine Blues too.

I was there too! Primus never disappoint! Wonka stuff was WAY better live. The visuals help tremendously!
grumblestiltskin
Little Ghost

Post by grumblestiltskin »

I saw Laura Marling at Queen Elizabeth Hall in London last night...WOW. Bold opening with a six song medley - we didn't get to clap her for about half an hour, but when we did, the room went nuts. It was strange how the set bounced between chilled out melodies and absolutely furious spiky songs all night, but it worked.

The only annoying thing was that people were for some reason people were exceedingly keen to leave, with loads of the audience getting up from their seats and starting to leave before the encore, which was really noticeable as it was an all seated venue...rude.
Patient B1003
Quexzea
Little Bird

Post by Quexzea »

This is a double answer because I saw THE WHO on 4/17 and then BOB DYLAN on 4/21. The Who sounded fantastic! They did better expected for their age. I loved every minute of it. Bob Dylan was also fantastic. His show was in a performing Arts center, so the sound was perfect. His band sounds very good these days. Up next is Built To Spill on May 13 - can't wait for them as they are always awesome!
tomhkr
Little Bird

Post by tomhkr »

On Friday night I went to see Seasick Steve in York. He was fantastic telling stories and very slick with his band members. Played the majority off his new album but also played off his back catalogue plus a few covers. Special mention to the support band called "My baby" a Dutch band who totally had the crowds’ attention, well worth checking out, bought both their albums after their set off them and seem lovely people.
Next up for me is The Strypes in my hometown of Hull
ellisintransit
Little Cream Soda

Post by ellisintransit »

Tame Impala last night at the Ryman. The sound was incredible. If you're even slightly interested in this band and they come close you must go. I've been a fan since Innerspeaker and this was their first Nashville show. Saw them at Bonnaroo a few years ago but this was FAR superior.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Prince in Baltimore this past Sunday night at his Rally 4 Peace, and Pokey LaFarge (and the South City Three, I still love those boys even if they get short-shrift these days!!) the week before.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Post by dylnfan »

Wilco last week in Indy...lackluster performance by Jeff Tweedy but the rest of the band was on fire.
"I haven't told him, but I'm adding him to my movement to bring nice back. Because nice is the coolest, most punk thing ever."

- Cmelo
PugFaceRex
Little Ghost

Post by PugFaceRex »

Went to the "A Cosmic and Earthly History of Recorded Music According to Mississippi Records" presentation at Third Man last thursday night.
<BluefordT> jey pals i am,we is,fuckeres rerred up
<BluefordT> jhdb
-------------------------------------------------------
<Quizze> i didnt like pug asking jack if he would eat himself as a hot dog.... off color
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

PugFaceRex wrote:Went to the "A Cosmic and Earthly History of Recorded Music According to Mississippi Records" presentation at Third Man last thursday night.
As they say on the interwebz these days, I'm "jelly". Did you see aquamarine there?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
big3
Little Bird

Post by big3 »

royal blood was the last gig I went for 2 people they do make a good sound :thumbup:
dmdv1
Little Ghost

Post by dmdv1 »

Saw Nashvilles Bully play in London last week and on Saturday I saw Thurston Moore and his band and they were fantastic. That is all
Never trust a hippy
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

big3 wrote:royal blood was the last gig I went for 2 people they do make a good sound :thumbup:
I used to know another band like that....

Now days, I don't think two people make more noise live than death from above 1979....though royal blood may give them a run for their money. I will know in a few months after I see them open for the foo fighters