The Turntable Topic

Whatever's on your mind, spill it here
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Re: The Turntable Topic

Post by Kali Durga »

I spend a minimum of three hours a day in my car. Unfortunately, I have more time to listen to music there than at home. So while I love my lps, I'd never have time to listen to most of them if I wasn't able to rip and listen in the car. If I had a shorter commute and the luxury of more time at home, then I'd feel the same as Woody.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Kali Durga wrote:I spend a minimum of three hours a day in my car. Unfortunately, I have more time to listen to music there than at home. So while I love my lps, I'd never have time to listen to most of them if I wasn't able to rip and listen in the car. If I had a shorter commute and the luxury of more time at home, then I'd feel the same as Woody.
I know what you mean.
That's a lot of commute you got there !
I need to rip more stuff, lazy I guess.
I "rip" my 45's to reel 2 reel, if that counts :-)
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

You could probably strap in the reel to reel in the backseat. Hmmm
My wife's highlander has an ac plug in the back ....
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

I buy most of my cd's from Amazon and have it set up to put the free downloads in my music folder in the cloud and I periodically save them to my hard drive. I love that Amazon does that on most CD's and vinyl you buy. I get 320mp3

I download codes from albums I buy elsewhere.

Hell there will probably be a reissue of Hanks country western classics sooner than later - lol :-)
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

It is cool that you rip all your vinyl !!! For sure !!!
Hell - I'm still trying to rip all my cd's to FLAC !
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

chaptertwentyone wrote:Well, after just about three years my AT-LP120 USB has kicked the bucket.
It was my first table and I was still new to all the in's and out's of playing records.
In short, the thing took a beating.
When it came time to look for a new table I wanted to upgrade a little.
I've heard a lot of chatter about the pro-ject audio tables and after a lot of research I decided to go with a red debut carbon DC.
From all I've read it seems like the best bang for my buck, and definitely an upgrade from the ATLP120.
It ought to be here within the week and I couldn't be more excited.
I'll be sure to share my first impression here.
Nearly six months in, and I love the old girl to pieces.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
tkoger
Little Bird

Post by tkoger »

Hey guys read though alot of the thread and saw some of the suggestions, but I figure I would throw out specifically what I'm looking for and see if anyone had any suggestions.My budget would be around $300. I have an older receiver/amp & speaker set so built-in amp isn't a must. I don't see myself ever really using a USB much so that also isn't a must. Any help would be appreciated.
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

tkoger wrote:Hey guys read though alot of the thread and saw some of the suggestions, but I figure I would throw out specifically what I'm looking for and see if anyone had any suggestions.My budget would be around $300. I have an older receiver/amp & speaker set so built-in amp isn't a must. I don't see myself ever really using a USB much so that also isn't a must. Any help would be appreciated.
I'm a big fan of the audio technicas. You should check out the 120. Also in that price range is where U Turn Audio is I think. I don't own one but I've only heard good things.
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

Appears TMR is hip to the U-Turn vibe....

https://thirdmanrecords.com/news
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
tkoger
Little Bird

Post by tkoger »

JonnyH wrote:
tkoger wrote:Hey guys read though alot of the thread and saw some of the suggestions, but I figure I would throw out specifically what I'm looking for and see if anyone had any suggestions.My budget would be around $300. I have an older receiver/amp & speaker set so built-in amp isn't a must. I don't see myself ever really using a USB much so that also isn't a must. Any help would be appreciated.
I'm a big fan of the audio technicas. You should check out the 120. Also in that price range is where U Turn Audio is I think. I don't own one but I've only heard good things.
Thanks for the suggestion. I keep seeing those, especially the 120, pop-up on best turntables for the price type list. I'm leaning towards the audio technica 120. I also was looking at Pro-Ject Essential II, anyone have opinions on that?
tkoger
Little Bird

Post by tkoger »

Also I have looked into U-Turn, but I saw some reviews saying it played the records noticeably slow. Anyone have any experience with this?
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I've been thinking of getting a stackable spindle turntable for playing 45s. One of my local shops just got a BSR McDonald 510 that he's selling for $40. I haven't looked at it yet, and wouldn't necessarily know whether it's in good shape even if I did look at it, but I'm curious if any of you knowledgeable folks out there are familiar with the brand or model. Does this sound like a decent deal?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

Stacking vinyl causes scuffs and scratches on the vinyl, just FYI
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Yup, I'm sure it does. But you know what? Back when I was a kid and we bought records because we enjoyed the music, we didn't worry about that stuff, we stacked that old hi-fi system high and had a ball. Having to stay close to the turntable to change 45s every 2-3 minutes means I don't listen to my 45s. Which is the greater sin? Scuffed 45s that I have to replace periodically, or music that doesn't get listened to?
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

yup, I'm aware, just making sure you know, some people don't realize that.