The Turntable Topic

Whatever's on your mind, spill it here
Beb9913
Little Cream Soda

Re: The Turntable Topic

Post by Beb9913 »

I got my uturn table the other day I got the acrylic platter thing sounds amazing esp for the money
Arran_Ramone
Little Cream Soda

Post by Arran_Ramone »

Kali Durga wrote:This is what I ended up with, Arran-- http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/turnt ... index.html. Seems pretty good so far, but other folks here might be able to give you a more educated assessment. Looks like Amazon.uk has it for £209.95, if that's a decent price for you.
Thanks for the feedback both of you! I'll look into that one. Will be a few months until I can really put some money down, but I like to know my options and plan in advance.

Kali, are you going into powered speakers or the amp/passive route?
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I picked up a receiver (not a fancy one) for it.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
jamesmonzon1
Little Acorn

Post by jamesmonzon1 »

So does anyone have any experience with the Ortofon 2M Bronze? I was using a Dynavector 10x5 that took a nasty slip off a record (reverse non-locked grooves @ 45 rpm are evil!), so just want to mix it up and go for a different cartridge.
"There's nothing as reverential as putting on a vinyl album and manually flipping it. You can't fast-forward. You can't pause. More than likely, you are going to let the whole thing play."-Jack White III
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

jamesmonzon1 wrote:So does anyone have any experience with the Ortofon 2M Bronze? I was using a Dynavector 10x5 that took a nasty slip off a record (reverse non-locked grooves @ 45 rpm are evil!), so just want to mix it up and go for a different cartridge.
I think Mark is still using the black ortofon 2M - He liked it. I have the cheap red 2M - I like it. I bet the bronze is a good one. Maybe pm mark and see if he has tried it. I like my cheap red one, I may upgrade someday. But don't see much point in it right now.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

luccamezz wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:This is what I ended up with, Arran-- http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/turnt ... index.html. Seems pretty good so far, but other folks here might be able to give you a more educated assessment. Looks like Amazon.uk has it for £209.95, if that's a decent price for you.
Got the same this week. Gonna have this babe home next week. Can't wait to replace my actual generic-chinese-crosley-arm-piece-of-plastic-that-makes-any-record-sound-worse-than-an-192kbps-mp3
Ok, almost a year later this turntable is driving me nuts. I cannot get a good vinyl rip with it and I just don't have the knowledge to figure out why. I'm using the same software (Spin It Again) and the same usb cable that I used to use with my old crappy Crosley, but this supposedly better turntable records very, very quietly. I'm tired of having to run everything I rip through Audacity to boost the volume. Any ideas what the issue might be? Stylus, tone-arm weight, some setting that I'm overlooking...?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

Kali Durga wrote:
luccamezz wrote:
Got the same this week. Gonna have this babe home next week. Can't wait to replace my actual generic-chinese-crosley-arm-piece-of-plastic-that-makes-any-record-sound-worse-than-an-192kbps-mp3
Ok, almost a year later this turntable is driving me nuts. I cannot get a good vinyl rip with it and I just don't have the knowledge to figure out why. I'm using the same software (Spin It Again) and the same usb cable that I used to use with my old crappy Crosley, but this supposedly better turntable records very, very quietly. I'm tired of having to run everything I rip through Audacity to boost the volume. Any ideas what the issue might be? Stylus, tone-arm weight, some setting that I'm overlooking...?
Are you switching on the pre-amp? I use RCA cables rather than USB, but I used USB early on with no problems.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Per the instructions, I switch the pre-amp switch from Phono to Line when I'm ripping. I assume my PC has outlets for RCA, I'd have to look if I wanted to try that. I've been trying to use my laptop instead of the PC because it ended up just being too cumbersome to lug this turntable into the room where my PC is. But I got the same results as far as the volume level when I did try it on the PC.
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

Kali Durga wrote:Per the instructions, I switch the pre-amp switch from Phono to Line when I'm ripping. I assume my PC has outlets for RCA, I'd have to look if I wanted to try that. I've been trying to use my laptop instead of the PC because it ended up just being too cumbersome to lug this turntable into the room where my PC is. But I got the same results as far as the volume level when I did try it on the PC.
If you run the TT through the amp and switch the pre-amp to Line, does it boost the volume? Sounds like the problem could be with the pre-amp. Turn the receiver volume way down before you try that.

Edit: Are you running Windows 8? I found on an online forum that the AT2020 doesn't work on Windows 8, so it could a Windows 8 issue. I have a Mac so don't run Windows.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

dunedin wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:Per the instructions, I switch the pre-amp switch from Phono to Line when I'm ripping. I assume my PC has outlets for RCA, I'd have to look if I wanted to try that. I've been trying to use my laptop instead of the PC because it ended up just being too cumbersome to lug this turntable into the room where my PC is. But I got the same results as far as the volume level when I did try it on the PC.
If you run the TT through the amp and switch the pre-amp to Line, does it boost the volume? Sounds like the problem could be with the pre-amp. Turn the receiver volume way down before you try that.

Edit: Are you running Windows 8? I found on an online forum that the AT2020 doesn't work on Windows 8, so it could a Windows 8 issue. I have a Mac so don't run Windows.
I don't have an amp, the turntable has a built-in pre-amp so I thought all I needed with it was a receiver. Supposedly I should be able to just connect the TT to my computer to record, with no amp or receiver involved. I am on Windows 8, but had this problem when I was still on Win7, as well.
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

Sorry I should have said receiver. If you play records with the TT connected to the receiver and switch from Phono to Line there should be an increase in volume through the speakers if the pre-amp is working normally.

I use the same setup, other than I rip with Audacity and I use a Mac, and I never had a volume problem either with USB or RCA into the mic port. The volume was lower with USB but not by much.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Thank you for trying to help figure this out. There is definitely a difference. When I connect my laptop to the turntable with the USB cable and switch the TT to Line while it's still connected to the receiver, I can juuuuuust barely hear the music coming out of the speakers. When I switch it back to Phono, the sound out of the speakers is normal.

I like Spin It Again's interface better, but I have also tried this with Audacity and got the same result.

My USB cable is fairly new and worked fine when I was doing this with the Crosley, but maybe I'll buy a new cable just in case that's the problem. Or maybe I'll just buy myself another crappy Crosley to use only for ripping, since I never had a problem with that.
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

It may be worth buying an RCA cable as well, so you will at least know if the problem is the USB software, although you have used different PCs so it's probably not that. RCA gives you the added feature of adjusting the volume within the ripping software, which may help with your problem. I don't know if Spin It Again gives that option with USB, Audacity does not.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Spin It Again does have an option to check the levels before recording. I've actually had an issue with some records where it couldn't detect any sound at all, no matter how high I set the volume. I'll have to look at my PC and make sure it's got ports for an RCA hookup, I dunno if that's standard on PCs or not.
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org