The Turntable Topic

Whatever's on your mind, spill it here
Bob_Roberts
Little Cream Soda

Re: The Turntable Topic

Post by Bob_Roberts »

Kali Durga wrote:
Bob_Roberts wrote:Receiver - take a look at a Harman Kardon 330c. I did a ton of research trying to find a receiver with a phono in that would be good for a NY apt. I got mine on eBay for $135 shipped but sometimes they are less expensive. They are old school solid state and sounded better than my project tube box & onyko receiver.
Just found some very good reviews of that model. Will do some more checking on eBay and elsewhere. Thank you.
Even my wife who is a non-audiophile noticed a huge difference. One more thing. If you get one that needs servicing, I found an amazing electronics store in Greenpoint (MTZ Electronics) that serviced mine and got it back into great shape.

Good luck!
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Thanks! Between the recommendations here and the help of the guy at my local record shop, it sounds like getting a decent budget/convenience setup won't be as difficult as I thought it might be.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
littleacorn
Little Ghost

Post by littleacorn »

My new setup I'm in love!

"Jack White shreds like a man who met the devil at the crossroads and punched him in the nuts"
maxman142001
Little Ghost

Post by maxman142001 »

littleacorn wrote:My new setup I'm in love!

Congrats! Im loving my Pro-Ject Carbon as well!
<<Jack White>> @Maxman142001 'let me tell you about my baby she was born out in arizona..."
littleacorn
Little Ghost

Post by littleacorn »

Thanks! I'm looking into restoring my Marantz sr940. I've been browsing audio karma and ebay looking for another vintage Marantz receiver before I figured I have enough skill to go through and just refresh the one I got.
"Jack White shreds like a man who met the devil at the crossroads and punched him in the nuts"
littleacorn
Little Ghost

Post by littleacorn »

Anybody have any info on the Marantz 2215? I've read some things on audio karma about them but it just seems to be Marantz fans opinions. I'm looking for the good,bad and ugly.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

The guy at my local record shop got in a pair of Bose 301 Series II speakers that he's selling for $150. Googling doesn't bring up very favorable reviews of them, would any of you folks here have any input about 'em?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
thenewdeal
Little Cream Soda

Post by thenewdeal »

Kali Durga wrote:The guy at my local record shop got in a pair of Bose 301 Series II speakers that he's selling for $150. Googling doesn't bring up very favorable reviews of them, would any of you folks here have any input about 'em?
Kali - IMHO i would stay away from them for $150 - think you could do better. Here are some quick recs i put together (assuming you want bookshelf speakers)

$200 - SuperZero 2.1 http://www.nhthifi.com/Bookshelf-speake ... ro-2-0-NLP

$130 - Pioneers SP-BS22 http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS22-L ... B008NCD2LG

$50 -budget pick- Dayton B652 http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-B652 ... B002RMPHMU

craigslist/thrift is also a good option
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Ah, thanks. Those Pioneers look interesting. My problem with just hitting Craiglist or the thrift shops is that I know nothing about brands or models, so I definitely appreciate the recommendations you guys have made here. They give me a starting point.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Kali Durga wrote:The guy at my local record shop got in a pair of Bose 301 Series II speakers that he's selling for $150. Googling doesn't bring up very favorable reviews of them, would any of you folks here have any input about 'em?
Bose makes great small speakers, like desk top speakers for your computer, etc. their line of larger speakers sucks !!!

Check out Some book shelf speakers. For the money it's hard to beat JBL.
I like definitive technology speakers.

Check eBay for Definitive Technology SM450's recently discontinued for new models.

Good luck :-)

Say no to Bose !
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Thanks, Woody, that gives me a few more leads to follow.
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

Last night my tt started making a sound akin to that of a helicopter. I tried to adjust it out, and had little luck until I elevated the front feet-even then is was still audible when increasing the volume. It's an Akai AP-B20. Thoughts?

Thanks for any and all guru help I might acquire.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
Arran_Ramone
Little Cream Soda

Post by Arran_Ramone »

I'm in a similar situation to Kali. Been without a turntable for about a year now, and i'm finally in a position to invest in a replacement. I'm on a pretty tight budget still- I loved the U-Turn Audio turntable but it's not available in the U.K! Any tips/recommendations? I'm not very clued up when it comes to what's available, what's good etc.

Thanks all!
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

This is what I ended up with, Arran-- http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/turnt ... index.html. Seems pretty good so far, but other folks here might be able to give you a more educated assessment. Looks like Amazon.uk has it for £209.95, if that's a decent price for you.
luccamezz
Little Cream Soda

Post by luccamezz »

Kali Durga wrote:This is what I ended up with, Arran-- http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/turnt ... index.html. Seems pretty good so far, but other folks here might be able to give you a more educated assessment. Looks like Amazon.uk has it for £209.95, if that's a decent price for you.
Got the same this week. Gonna have this babe home next week. Can't wait to replace my actual generic-chinese-crosley-arm-piece-of-plastic-that-makes-any-record-sound-worse-than-an-192kbps-mp3
A Woman is more powerful than a man and this I know, and I think that you know this too.