The Turntable Topic

Whatever's on your mind, spill it here
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

The Turntable Topic

Post by 7th_son »

Tell me about your turntable! :)

Do we have one of these topics yet? If we do, I'll just merge this, but I couldn't find one.

I just set up a new Pro-Ject debut III USB and hot damn I am in love. I think part of what attracted me to this thing is its simplicity. There is not a single button visible on this thing. I wouldn't call myself an audiophile, but I wanted a quality table that could also let me record my vinyl. I haven't tried the USB thing yet.

rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Re: The Turntable Topic

Post by rsimms3 »

Nice table! I've not used a USB table before and don't know anyone that has so you'll have to let me/us know how well it works.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
stoutr
Little Ghost

Post by stoutr »

Spend $100 on an acrylic platter when you can spare it. Then upgrade the needle after the first 1,000 hours. :)
I got that deep into variants once before with a collection, please shoot me if I go there again, it will drive you crazy I promise...
But nice stuff for sure.
Grim
chrono_1980
Little Ghost

Post by chrono_1980 »

Nice! I just upgraded to a Pro-ject Xperience with a clear-audio cartridge a few months ago. For the money, they make awesome turntables.
cwja
Little Ghost

Post by cwja »

I've had mine over a year now and I love it. USB works great. The simple design is also one of my favorite things about it.
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

So does that mean it's a fully manual table? I've seen some of those and wasn't impressed, they don't lift off at the end and you have to manually adjust the speed.
cwja
Little Ghost

Post by cwja »

higherlimits wrote:So does that mean it's a fully manual table? I've seen some of those and wasn't impressed, they don't lift off at the end and you have to manually adjust the speed.
That is correct. Those aren't big detractions to me but I can understand why some would not be interested
greginchains
Little Ghost

Post by greginchains »

My main turntable is a Crosley model CR248. It records LP's or cassettes onto CD. Its ran through a 20 year old equalizer, an Onkyo receiver and out to a pair of Kenwood 15" speakers.

The next 2 were just given to me by my grandfather-in-law. He says they are from around the 1940's. this is a Symphonic model 3100A. It has 16, 33, 45, and 78 rpm settings. It sounds ok when I played a couple of old 78 rpm 10 inch records he gave me, too.

Last is a Mitchell model 1298. I havent tried this one yet.

I only wanted to be good enough, but I'm not.
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

higherlimits wrote:So does that mean it's a fully manual table? I've seen some of those and wasn't impressed, they don't lift off at the end and you have to manually adjust the speed.
Yep, like cwja said, I can also see why some wouldn't like that, but it doesn't bother me at all. I find I'm either playing LPs or 45s at a given time, not jumping back and forth for the most part. There is a speed box accessory you can buy for it that switches speeds at the touch of a button. I like the that it requires my attention and motivates me to go over and pick up the needle and flip the record. The whole process is a little more hands on.

Stoutr, that's solid advice, thanks.
HappyDad
Little Ghost

Post by HappyDad »

My Pro-ject Xpression III

I love this turntable :mrgreen:
The french White Stripes | Third Mand Records | Raconteurs | Dead Weather board : Join the French Fun
--> JUST HERE
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

i also have a debut III and love it. as mentioned, i'll upgrade the needle eventually, not a major issue yet. as far as have to manually "pick up" the arm, or whatever, that's the price of a belt-driven TT. direct-drive is a bit hard on the records and needle, i think, despite the convenience.

i run it thru my old trusty adcom amp and pre-amp into a set of B&W bookshelves. hardware neatly tucks away in built-ins in the great room.

also have an old GE wildcat (really sounds like crap, but fun to look at) and the inchophone!
P9180601.jpg
P9180598.jpg
P9180599.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
he is everything i hate...
PugFaceRex
Little Ghost

Post by PugFaceRex »

elduderino wrote:i also have a debut III and love it. as mentioned, i'll upgrade the needle eventually, not a major issue yet. as far as have to manually "pick up" the arm, or whatever, that's the price of a belt-driven TT. direct-drive is a bit hard on the records and needle, i think, despite the convenience.

i run it thru my old trusty adcom amp and pre-amp into a set of B&W bookshelves. hardware neatly tucks away in built-ins in the great room.

also have an old GE wildcat (really sounds like crap, but fun to look at) and the inchophone!
P9180601.jpg
P9180598.jpg
P9180599.jpg
I thought your cabinets would be made out of marble in your mansion.
<BluefordT> jey pals i am,we is,fuckeres rerred up
<BluefordT> jhdb
-------------------------------------------------------
<Quizze> i didnt like pug asking jack if he would eat himself as a hot dog.... off color
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

elduderino wrote:i also have a debut III and love it. as mentioned, i'll upgrade the needle eventually, not a major issue yet. as far as have to manually "pick up" the arm, or whatever, that's the price of a belt-driven TT. direct-drive is a bit hard on the records and needle, i think, despite the convenience.

P9180601.jpg
A nice turntable AND a wine fridge, respect to the dude.
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

I had a Belt Driven TT with all the bells and whistles, speed, tone, start/stop, repeat etc. I don't think it's a direct drive thing..
littleacorn
Little Ghost

Post by littleacorn »

I'm getting close to upgrading to the debut III. Right now I'm spinning on a 90's panasonic turntable/radio/tape player through some salvaged bookshelf speakers. It gets the job done but I really need a nicer system.
"Jack White shreds like a man who met the devil at the crossroads and punched him in the nuts"