Welcome to White Swirl

Whatever's on your mind, spill it here

Re: Welcome to White Swirl

Postby Jimmy the Exploder » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:08 am

Hello everyone I'm new and this is my first post and I will tell you a little about myself well I'm from Chile (for those who do not know is a country in south america) and I am a fan of all projects generally Jack White does two years and good for about a year I've been collected vinyls Jack and his side projects and eventhough it here in chile is a bit hard to find vinyl Jack because it is not as well known here but good for that there is the third man records online store so well ... I am very happy to participate in this forum :D
Jimmy the Exploder
Little Bird

Postby trickster » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:42 pm

Jimmy the Exploder wrote:Hello everyone I'm new and this is my first post and I will tell you a little about myself well I'm from Chile (for those who do not know is a country in south america) and I am a fan of all projects generally Jack White does two years and good for about a year I've been collected vinyls Jack and his side projects and eventhough it here in chile is a bit hard to find vinyl Jack because it is not as well known here but good for that there is the third man records online store so well ... I am very happy to participate in this forum :D

Welcome!
trickster
Greek Mod

Postby Alabama Woody » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:19 am

Welcome ! From Alabama to South America !
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Postby G-squared » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:14 pm

Howdy Folks,

My name is Greg, and music is my church. I love living in the land of ancient redwoods and unpopulated beaches. I guess that may make nature my church and music is my sermon? Wait, nature is my cathedral; concert goers are my congregation; music (live is best) is my sermon.

I have recently committed to limiting my obsessive FOMO collecting to just vinyl and posters...I don't wear 90% of the concert t-shirts that I couldn't live without when I bought them. I think that I have discarded my record collection at least 3 times in my life; the last time being in 1998 when I moved to Nashville for graduate school: I traded a couple of crates for a tie-dye tapestry. The first record that I remember having as a kid was the 7" of the three little pigs with the bell sound that instructed me to turn the page in the book that was the sleeve. The first 7" that I remember buying myself was Hall & Oates "rich girl".

I have only been into JW for a little over a year. I have a big heart, but I have recognized that I sometimes judge things (usually not people) before I give them a chance. A few years ago I actually thumbed my nose at a friend of a friend who said "Jack White saved my life". That statement makes more sense to me now. Another example is after being lucky enough to get a copy of RSD Elephant, I gave it one listen (the first time that I had heard the music) and said "the vinyl is gorgeous, but the album overall is not for me" and then I promptly traded it to a friend for a RSD Grateful Dead LP. Now I love that music and I have been holding out for the RSD edition rather than buying the black vinyl. I have strong opinions sometimes; but I respect, and don't take offense to, other people feeling strongly too.

I have seen JW once - at the Bridge School Benefit with the buzzards. I can't wait till his next tour: I am definitely on the bus. I read someone compare JW to Willie Wonka and that really resonates for me. Dude is a fantastic artist/designer/and (seemingly) person. That solo in Take Me With You When You Go got me to pick up my guitar and actually practice after years of just foolin' around.

I only read the first 3 and last 3 pages of this thread, and that already answered of few of my questions. It looks like y'all have a really great community here. I look forward to getting to know some of you here, and hopefully meeting some of you at shows in the future. I might sometimes swing from the batshit branch of the family tree, but hopefully I will make some of you laugh from time to time too.

Skol,
G
"You never really know the true value of a moment, until it becomes a memory" Sponge Bob Squarepants
G-squared
Little Cream Soda

Postby Kali Durga » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:32 am

Howdy, Greg. Good to see you over here, too.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Postby mojoryan » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:53 am

G-squared wrote:Howdy Folks,

My name is Greg, and music is my church. I love living in the land of ancient redwoods and unpopulated beaches. I guess that may make nature my church and music is my sermon? Wait, nature is my cathedral; concert goers are my congregation; music (live is best) is my sermon.

I have recently committed to limiting my obsessive FOMO collecting to just vinyl and posters...I don't wear 90% of the concert t-shirts that I couldn't live without when I bought them. I think that I have discarded my record collection at least 3 times in my life; the last time being in 1998 when I moved to Nashville for graduate school: I traded a couple of crates for a tie-dye tapestry. The first record that I remember having as a kid was the 7" of the three little pigs with the bell sound that instructed me to turn the page in the book that was the sleeve. The first 7" that I remember buying myself was Hall & Oates "rich girl".

I have only been into JW for a little over a year. I have a big heart, but I have recognized that I sometimes judge things (usually not people) before I give them a chance. A few years ago I actually thumbed my nose at a friend of a friend who said "Jack White saved my life". That statement makes more sense to me now. Another example is after being lucky enough to get a copy of RSD Elephant, I gave it one listen (the first time that I had heard the music) and said "the vinyl is gorgeous, but the album overall is not for me" and then I promptly traded it to a friend for a RSD Grateful Dead LP. Now I love that music and I have been holding out for the RSD edition rather than buying the black vinyl. I have strong opinions sometimes; but I respect, and don't take offense to, other people feeling strongly too.

I have seen JW once - at the Bridge School Benefit with the buzzards. I can't wait till his next tour: I am definitely on the bus. I read someone compare JW to Willie Wonka and that really resonates for me. Dude is a fantastic artist/designer/and (seemingly) person. That solo in Take Me With You When You Go got me to pick up my guitar and actually practice after years of just foolin' around.

I only read the first 3 and last 3 pages of this thread, and that already answered of few of my questions. It looks like y'all have a really great community here. I look forward to getting to know some of you here, and hopefully meeting some of you at shows in the future. I might sometimes swing from the batshit branch of the family tree, but hopefully I will make some of you laugh from time to time too.

Skol,
G

Hmm...another "G." You sound like a straightforward speakin' homosapien; always nice when those types show their heads-without hesitation-in Swirlville. Damn glad to have you here, man. Welcome.

Mojo
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
mojoryan
Little People

Postby BlackJackEric » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:22 pm

Howdy from Nashville
sugar never tasted so good
BlackJackEric
Little Cream Soda

Postby HammerOfTheGods » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:48 pm

Hey everybody, I've been "stalking" this website for quite a while now. I just now decided to finally register after contemplating it for a few months. Anyway... I got into the White Stripes/Jack White when Icky Thump got released. I knew of the band but they didn't really catch my ear until I heard Icky Thump on the radio. Every time it came on I found myself cranking the volume as loud as I could stand. That was the year they played Bonnaroo, my sister went with her boyfriend. During the festival, I heard on the radio that they were playing that night. I called my sister immediately and said "Listen, I hear there is this band The White Stripes playing tonight. I don't know any of their music really, but the new song on the radio is amazing and you should go see them." She thanks me all the time for suggesting they go see them. I never got to witness their greatness live, and that is one of my biggest regrets. Not seeing them in Wallingford CT in 2007. I didn't know enough about them to make sure i had tickets. I figured "eh, I'll catch them next time they come around...."

Well everyone on this website seems really cool and I'm looking forward to getting know you all through here and maybe meeting some of you guys at some shows in the Tri-State area.
I play dumb like Columbo, and get my feelings hurt and move to New York like I'm Dumbo
HammerOfTheGods
Little Cream Soda

Postby drgoodvibe » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:30 am

Hi guys first login, setting up my label doing tape as a main thing mostly accoustic complete vale setup all the way through.
MTR 15 and MX55, studer 820 on the way. custom valve mic's all pre's in and out valve as is all the desk.
Soffit play back panels and horn's well a new type PSE 144 from oz.
drgoodvibe
Little Bird

Postby weightlight » Tue May 13, 2014 9:49 pm

Hi all

Just wanted to check in and say hi.

Massive Jack White / White Stripes fan from the UK.... only saw them three times but was blown away each and every time!

I used to run a 7" stall at local record fayres and came across most early White Stripes 7" during my time selling... I'd always pick them up for myself!

I had the original blood red Let's Shake Hands 7" for a bargain ($70 imported several years ago). Unfortunately I had to sell it along with a few other vinyl rarities a year or so ago.

Anyway, I look forward to reading and interacting on several posts.

Rich
weightlight
Little Bird

Postby trickster » Wed May 14, 2014 5:59 pm

Welcome to all new members.
We look forward to seeing you participating in the conversations.
:D
trickster
Greek Mod

Postby uraschmoe » Thu May 22, 2014 3:35 pm

Hey everyone

Just wanted to say hi, I'm pretty new to vinyl but was instantly hooked the more I got looking into it. Great board, look forward to reading it everyday.
uraschmoe
Little Bird

Postby chrono_1980 » Fri May 23, 2014 12:20 am

uraschmoe wrote:Hey everyone

Just wanted to say hi, I'm pretty new to vinyl but was instantly hooked the more I got looking into it. Great board, look forward to reading it everyday.

I think I know this guy, so I guess I'll vouch for him! I will also take reaponsibility for his newly found vinyl problem?
chrono_1980
Little Ghost

Postby uraschmoe » Fri May 23, 2014 1:24 am

Yes Chrono....it's all your fault!
uraschmoe
Little Bird

Postby Alabama Woody » Fri May 23, 2014 1:33 am

uraschmoe wrote:Yes Chrono....it's all your fault!

Welcome !
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

PreviousNext