White Swirl Attendance

Whatever's on your mind, spill it here
mfdoom
Little Bird

White Swirl Attendance

Post by mfdoom »

Hello,

I was referred to someone here from facebook. They mentioned this was a good collecting community to be a part of. The only issue I'm finding is, where is everyone? I've been looking through the threads, trying to catch up but I've noticed that no one really posts here anymore. I'm confused, is this place just an archive of information? It seems a little more straight forward than the Collectors Group.

doom
love_islander
Little People

Re: White Swirl Attendance

Post by love_islander »

I assume a lot of the posters of old are still lurking, just nothing new to say, or name to call someone else

A lot of items have been discussed to death, there are some awesome White Stripes collectibles threads and plenty of capturing of TMR events over time. Check it out. If you can't find it, ask away
mfdoom
Little Bird

Post by mfdoom »

love_islander wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:45 am I assume a lot of the posters of old are still lurking, just nothing new to say, or name to call someone else

A lot of items have been discussed to death, there are some awesome White Stripes collectibles threads and plenty of capturing of TMR events over time. Check it out. If you can't find it, ask away
Thanks for the advice!
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

The Facebook group pretty much killed this place, which is a shame as the forum format is much more suited to discussing this kind of thing. Having an archive of topics and discussions to refer back to is invaluable for newcomers.
mfdoom
Little Bird

Post by mfdoom »

Jamie wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:59 pm The Facebook group pretty much killed this place, which is a shame as the forum format is much more suited to discussing this kind of thing. Having an archive of topics and discussions to refer back to is invaluable for newcomers.
Did the Facebook group kill it? Or did the membership? Whenever I look back on topics, it seems as though there were certain users just fighting with each other. It seems as though people forgot what the forum was about?
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

The whole thing imploded about five years ago, you’re a bit late to get any conversation out of this place. The community that participated here seemed to dissolve due to jealousy and infighting, which is a shame because it was a fun place to hang out for a while.
Hyperbole used for effect!
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

Also, As third man has grown, I think a lot of us just got burnt out from the constant hunting, FOMO, and the barrage of new releases. I liked third man a lot more when it offered a more curated selection of music, focused more on garage, punk, and blues. Everything used to seem special when it dropped.
Hyperbole used for effect!
jamesmonzon1
Little Acorn

Post by jamesmonzon1 »

It was a fun ride. Met cool people, got scammed a couple times, this place had a bit of everything. But yeah, it all kind of fizzled out as time went on. With collecting, a lot of got to the point where there really wasn’t anything left to collect. I’m willing to bet 50-75% of us here probably made up 90% of all WS/Racs/DW/JW/TMR related vinyl bought and sold back in the day. I know I had my fair share of times where I’d be watching and bidding on 10 items at a time on eBay.
Reminiscing and mindlessly ranting about foregone days? I’m in!
With the emergence of TMR, more specifically the vault, we got re-hooked on the idea that there was more potential WS/Racs/DW to be released. And for the first 3 years it did see that way. We got the Triple Decker Record, we got 7” singles with unreleased WS content. GITD, Bizzaro’s, Texas sized singles. Somewhat gimmicky, but fun. Even the non JW releases were quality. Part of the allure was not only the allure of collecting all rare variants, it was also the artistic beauty and thought that went into some of the variants. Peach Karen Elton, yes please (I have 3, yes they still smell). Milk and Honey “Lace” single? Probably one of the most visually beautiful releases by TMR to date.
But as with everything in life, time goes on and things change. The WS/Racs/DW releases became fewer and farther in between. If there was a release, it tended to be a live recording. Awesome for the completist or those from the bootlegging scene, but personally not my cup of tea. Vault packages started including content that wasn’t necessarily TMR produced, more acquired and re-released. To many of us, that wasn’t we signed up for. I stuck it out having a subscription from #1 till whatever it was 3 years ago. Since then, I’ve signed up for less than a handful of releases. I know there’s some still sticking it out hoping for some gems, but I wouldn’t be too optimistic. I think we might have very much exhausted the amount of unreleased content from the pre-JW catalogue. Sure, the WS were around for a bit and released a good amount of records, but that doesn’t mean they were prolific at recording in the studio. Same goes for DW and maybe Racs. It seemed they recorded albums in very short amounts of time. That doesn’t typically allow you to have alot of content.
Whatever the case is though, we’re still here. We lurk and just watch. Sometime we’ll post. We’ll balk at the hipsters saying we’re the OG collectors. But we’re more than likely to just tell you to keep the music down and get off my damn porch!
"There's nothing as reverential as putting on a vinyl album and manually flipping it. You can't fast-forward. You can't pause. More than likely, you are going to let the whole thing play."-Jack White III
mfdoom
Little Bird

Post by mfdoom »

jamesmonzon1 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:40 pm It was a fun ride. Met cool people, got scammed a couple times, this place had a bit of everything. But yeah, it all kind of fizzled out as time went on. With collecting, a lot of got to the point where there really wasn’t anything left to collect. I’m willing to bet 50-75% of us here probably made up 90% of all WS/Racs/DW/JW/TMR related vinyl bought and sold back in the day. I know I had my fair share of times where I’d be watching and bidding on 10 items at a time on eBay.
Reminiscing and mindlessly ranting about foregone days? I’m in!
With the emergence of TMR, more specifically the vault, we got re-hooked on the idea that there was more potential WS/Racs/DW to be released. And for the first 3 years it did see that way. We got the Triple Decker Record, we got 7” singles with unreleased WS content. GITD, Bizzaro’s, Texas sized singles. Somewhat gimmicky, but fun. Even the non JW releases were quality. Part of the allure was not only the allure of collecting all rare variants, it was also the artistic beauty and thought that went into some of the variants. Peach Karen Elton, yes please (I have 3, yes they still smell). Milk and Honey “Lace” single? Probably one of the most visually beautiful releases by TMR to date.
But as with everything in life, time goes on and things change. The WS/Racs/DW releases became fewer and farther in between. If there was a release, it tended to be a live recording. Awesome for the completist or those from the bootlegging scene, but personally not my cup of tea. Vault packages started including content that wasn’t necessarily TMR produced, more acquired and re-released. To many of us, that wasn’t we signed up for. I stuck it out having a subscription from #1 till whatever it was 3 years ago. Since then, I’ve signed up for less than a handful of releases. I know there’s some still sticking it out hoping for some gems, but I wouldn’t be too optimistic. I think we might have very much exhausted the amount of unreleased content from the pre-JW catalogue. Sure, the WS were around for a bit and released a good amount of records, but that doesn’t mean they were prolific at recording in the studio. Same goes for DW and maybe Racs. It seemed they recorded albums in very short amounts of time. That doesn’t typically allow you to have alot of content.
Whatever the case is though, we’re still here. We lurk and just watch. Sometime we’ll post. We’ll balk at the hipsters saying we’re the OG collectors. But we’re more than likely to just tell you to keep the music down and get off my damn porch!
That is interesting, the picture you're painting seems a bit narrow minded if I could be so bold. You were after certain things to begin with and when you didn't get those things you left. It seems as though Thirdman Records is a company that explores everything and anything in regards to the creative spirit.

It's funny how you go after the seeds of Thirdman but don't enjoy the tree as it develops, or the cool shade it provides.

I personally think TMR has just hit their stride, where in the history of humanity has this ever been done? Feels like people may be a little sad when they realized they missed the party while complaining they could have been at the party.

The facebook group is always enthusiastic and jumpin' why is it so different than this place?
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

The party hit its stride 10 years ago....downhill since then. Stick around and see the big picture like most of us here have seen. Most of us have been collecting for 10+ years and have seen the changes and aren't just FOMO HYPE whatever the newest thing is.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
mfdoom
Little Bird

Post by mfdoom »

Stl_ben wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:33 pm The party hit its stride 10 years ago....downhill since then. Stick around and see the big picture like most of us here have seen. Most of us have been collecting for 10+ years and have seen the changes and aren't just FOMO HYPE whatever the newest thing is.
I'm more confused than ever, are you all looking for something specific? Or are you dedicated to collecting things only and aren't happy about the actual "music," or "culture," you're supposed to collect? Doesn't that go hand in hand? Or is it just cold Grumpy people consuming in a straight line?
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

"Narrow minded" says the kid who just moved into the block, haha.

There were a number of factors. TMR saturating the collectors market didn't help. Thinned the place out a bit content wise. Then there's the immediate gratification of FB, IG, and the TMR site for a hot minute. I miss the deep dives.No one does it like Swirl, still.

But the place remains a fantastic archive lovingly constructed by the most passionate White Stripes and Jack fans you'll find anywhere. I'm grateful to Ian for keeping this place alive.
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

I've only posted here a few times, so you can take my word with a grain of salt, but to me I became less excited about TMR when it became more about the quantity than the quality. I'll echo what some of the others have said in regards to the people here. I have met some of the greatest people on here and/or in person at a TMR/Jack event or concert.

To me this site was always about the collectors and deep conversations about the music. A lot of that went away when TMR flooded the market with so much product and releases. It's unfortunate because now even the big Jack releases that I used to get excited about, don't really grab me like they used to. There are still a lot of people I keep in touch with from here, but I do so on other platforms. Facebook and the social media websites just created a place where everyone can still keep in touch in a more casual setting when the talk isn't always as deep into the music as it was here.
mfdoom
Little Bird

Post by mfdoom »

arewhyehen wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:55 am I've only posted here a few times, so you can take my word with a grain of salt, but to me I became less excited about TMR when it became more about the quantity than the quality. I'll echo what some of the others have said in regards to the people here. I have met some of the greatest people on here and/or in person at a TMR/Jack event or concert.

To me this site was always about the collectors and deep conversations about the music. A lot of that went away when TMR flooded the market with so much product and releases. It's unfortunate because now even the big Jack releases that I used to get excited about, don't really grab me like they used to. There are still a lot of people I keep in touch with from here, but I do so on other platforms. Facebook and the social media websites just created a place where everyone can still keep in touch in a more casual setting when the talk isn't always as deep into the music as it was here.
This has been the best explanation so far, thank you for spelling it out for me. The others, Ben Brunette, although gave an explanation seem to be a little more on the rude side.

It's interesting... I've been reading about different releases and there seems to be a complex of people that just de-railed threads and good information. I asked someone on FB what the deal was because this place was so highly reccommended and they mentioned the mods were the ones that ruined this site as well as the rude folks... My welcome here was terrible. Either way, I may visit the FB site more now anyway, it's nice to have an archive but not having an active site feels like looking at a nostalgic corpse. The people over at FB seem like they actually want to be there and the mods are fun and engaging too.
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

Hold up. You arrive excited, call a longtime member narrow minded, call me rude for joking about it, said your welcome was terrible, and are threatening to leave for FB? You express some strong negative opinions about a community you don't know. This thread is indicative of what happened to this site in a microcosm. Unless you're willing to see people where they are you're only talking into a mirror.

If you truly love music and collecting, stick around and dig a little deeper. There is a place for White Swirl and there is a place for FB. You're going to get different things out of each.
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org