New Orleans

Whatever's on your mind, spill it here
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

New Orleans

Post by arewhyehen »

Spending a week there...

Anyone been? Live there? Suggestions? Tips? Places to go? Things to do?
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Re: New Orleans

Post by Aquamarine »

I live in northern Louisiana, and go there pretty often. Frenchmen Street is the most interesting area, IMO. http://www.neworleansonline.com/tools/s ... treet.html Good music, restaurants, shops, etc. The French Quarter is touristy, especially Bourbon Street, but still worth visiting as some of the architecture is beautiful, and Jackson Square (where the cathedral, the Cabildo, etc., are) is really interesting. All these are within walking distance of each other, in fact you can walk around most of the central part of the city, and the streetcars ($1.25, you need the exact amount) are great for getting out into the Garden District, etc. Canal Street is a good place to pick them up. Magazine Street has a lot of cool shops and restaurants also, and Peaches record store if you walk far enough.

You can hardly go wrong with regard to restaurants, or music venues, for that matter. Tipitina's and One Eyed Jack's are good venues, and there are the usual places like the House of Blues. Also, hotel prices are surprisingly affordable compared to other cities, especially if you don't want to stay right in the Quarter.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Aquamarine wrote:I live in northern Louisiana, and go there pretty often. Frenchmen Street is the most interesting area, IMO. http://www.neworleansonline.com/tools/s ... treet.html Good music, restaurants, shops, etc. The French Quarter is touristy, especially Bourbon Street, but still worth visiting as some of the architecture is beautiful, and Jackson Square (where the cathedral, the Cabildo, etc., are) is really interesting. All these are within walking distance of each other, in fact you can walk around most of the central part of the city, and the streetcars ($1.25, you need the exact amount) are great for getting out into the Garden District, etc. Canal Street is a good place to pick them up. Magazine Street has a lot of cool shops and restaurants also, and Peaches record store if you walk far enough.

You can hardly go wrong with regard to restaurants, or music venues, for that matter. Tipitina's and One Eyed Jack's are good venues, and there are the usual places like the House of Blues. Also, hotel prices are surprisingly affordable compared to other cities, especially if you don't want to stay right in the Quarter.
Thanks for the advice. I was looking up a bunch of things last night and ran into Frenchmen St. It looks pretty cool. You have any favourite places to eat or see music?

As far as the transit, I saw they have a daily pass for $3, which is so damn cheap. I will be grabbing that while down there, even though we are driving down ourselves. I will probably be intoxicated for the most part..

Do I have to be pretty careful with carjacking and thieves? I was talking to a lady who lives there and she said there are some big issues with that down there. I googled it and it seemed like there were news articles on instances almost daily...hah..thats crazy. We will be driving down in a brand new car with Canadian plates and I will have a $4000 camera around my neck... I worry a little..haha
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

As far as places to eat, for breakfast the Cafe du Monde on Jackson Square is iconic (cafe au lait and beignets). Plus it's very close to Jackson Brewery! :D The Deja Vu Restaurant and Bar on Dauphine is handy because it's good local food (and drinks), and is open 24/7. Also the Grill on Charles St., Suis Generis on Burgundy, 13 Monaghan on Frenchmen (also a good music venue), and for music The Apple Barrel and the Maison on Frenchmen, as well as One Eyed Jack's and Tipitina's which I mentioned before. It's hard to go wrong, though, and there are places opening all the time. For example, the Ace Hotel opened within the last year on Carondelet, and it has a good music venue called 3 Keys and a couple of good restaurants.

To be honest, although there are high crime areas, I don't think New Orleans is more dangerous than other big cities. The areas that tourists are likely to visit are well-policed--things do still sometimes happen, but that's true anywhere. I've never had any problems, and I've walked back to my hotel alone at night on occasions, etc. I think you just have to use common sense and you'll be fine. Like, maybe don't make it too obvious that the camera's worth $4000. :lol: (I don't know about the carjacking issue--it's never happened to anybody I know, if that's any help, and nobody would want my car anyway!)
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

When I visited in May I went on a kayak trip through the swamp with these guys - it seemed to be a reasonable price and the trip was pretty cool. It wasn't too difficult to handle.

neworleanskayakswamptours.com
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

NOLA is easily my favorite city and one I wish I could convince my wife to move to!

Food - Jacques'Imo's (Creole comfort food, kinda expensive but worth it) Parkway Tavern for Po'Boys, Li'l Dizzy's for Soul Food, Dat Dog for cheap/fast, Bacchanal for Cheese/Wine and small plates (great music and atmosphere, too.) Most of all, Dooky Chase to see taste where soul food was born. All the world eats there.

French Quarter - only two reasons to go there: Cafe Du Monde for beignets and Central Grocery for the original muffaletta. Yeah, New Orleans is about eating everything in sight.

Frenchman Street / Other Venues - As stated, the best place for live music. John Boutte has a weekly residence at d.b.a, and you can regularly catch Treme Brass Band, Rebirth Brass Band there. Spotted Cat does no amplification, lots of trad jazz. I bounce between those clubs a lot. Kermit Ruffins plays all over and can be great, but can be too high and phone it in. Definitely check out Shamarr Allen and the Underdogz for a fun mix of hip hop, jazz, funk, and rock. I think JW fans would dig him. Across town, the Maple Leaf is great and right next to Jacques'Imo's (I think Rebirth has a residence there right now.) Bacchanal is more modern jazz, but when I go to NOLA I wanna shake my ass to trad.

Record Stores - Euclid in the Bywater is unbelievable (very wide selection of local, indie, mainstream, and obscure, Louisiana Music Factory on Frenchman is quite good (tons of CDs as most NOLA artists still release that way, good local vinyl, more mainstream selections than Euclid.) I have been meaning to check out Domino Sound, which is a great local label and also a record store that apparently has a kickass selection of reggae, ska, rocksteady. It's near Parkway Tavern. AVOID PEACHES AT ALL COST - LPs that list 20 will go for 50 there. Tourist trap.

Every piece of local vinyl I have purchased has been a worthy addition to my collection. If the cover looks cool, buy it. If it's $12 or less, buy it. You won't be disappointed.

Daytime - Daytime is pretty chill in NOLA since everyone's gearing up for a night on the town. The Audobon zoo is well worth it, Jean lafitte natural preserve is great for walking/ gator spotting, Cajun Encounters does fun gator tours in the swamp, and City park is free, peaceful, and beautiful (look up the singing tree and sculpture garden.) Confederacy of Cruisers does a kickass bike tour of the Treme, which is a great way to get a sense of history, architecture, culture. Our tour guide invited us over for beer and peanut butter cups before a Ruffins gig, for crying out loud. Can't beat that hospitality.

Beer - Beer culture isn't as developed there as other cities, but NOLA, Parish, and Bayou Teche kick out some tasty brews. Parish Canebrake wheat ale is a great alternative to High Life, NOLA Irish Channel Stout is one of my favorite stouts. Of course, you can find Abita everywhere.

Do you watch Treme? This will give you a peek at nearly every locale featured on that show.

So yeah, I dig New Orleans.
Hyperbole used for effect!
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

love_islander wrote:When I visited in May I went on a kayak trip through the swamp with these guys - it seemed to be a reasonable price and the trip was pretty cool. It wasn't too difficult to handle.

Good to hear. My girlfriend was wondering about these. She really wants to do one. What one did you do? There are two or three different options
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

mangry wrote:NOLA is easily my favorite city and one I wish I could convince my wife to move to!

Food - Jacques'Imo's (Creole comfort food, kinda expensive but worth it) Parkway Tavern for Po'Boys, Li'l Dizzy's for Soul Food, Dat Dog for cheap/fast, Bacchanal for Cheese/Wine and small plates (great music and atmosphere, too.) Most of all, Dooky Chase to see taste where soul food was born. All the world eats there.

French Quarter - only two reasons to go there: Cafe Du Monde for beignets and Central Grocery for the original muffaletta. Yeah, New Orleans is about eating everything in sight.

Frenchman Street / Other Venues - As stated, the best place for live music. John Boutte has a weekly residence at d.b.a, and you can regularly catch Treme Brass Band, Rebirth Brass Band there. Spotted Cat does no amplification, lots of trad jazz. I bounce between those clubs a lot. Kermit Ruffins plays all over and can be great, but can be too high and phone it in. Definitely check out Shamarr Allen and the Underdogz for a fun mix of hip hop, jazz, funk, and rock. I think JW fans would dig him. Across town, the Maple Leaf is great and right next to Jacques'Imo's (I think Rebirth has a residence there right now.) Bacchanal is more modern jazz, but when I go to NOLA I wanna shake my ass to trad.

Record Stores - Euclid in the Bywater is unbelievable (very wide selection of local, indie, mainstream, and obscure, Louisiana Music Factory on Frenchman is quite good (tons of CDs as most NOLA artists still release that way, good local vinyl, more mainstream selections than Euclid.) I have been meaning to check out Domino Sound, which is a great local label and also a record store that apparently has a kickass selection of reggae, ska, rocksteady. It's near Parkway Tavern. AVOID PEACHES AT ALL COST - LPs that list 20 will go for 50 there. Tourist trap.

Every piece of local vinyl I have purchased has been a worthy addition to my collection. If the cover looks cool, buy it. If it's $12 or less, buy it. You won't be disappointed.

Daytime - Daytime is pretty chill in NOLA since everyone's gearing up for a night on the town. The Audobon zoo is well worth it, Jean lafitte natural preserve is great for walking/ gator spotting, Cajun Encounters does fun gator tours in the swamp, and City park is free, peaceful, and beautiful (look up the singing tree and sculpture garden.) Confederacy of Cruisers does a kickass bike tour of the Treme, which is a great way to get a sense of history, architecture, culture. Our tour guide invited us over for beer and peanut butter cups before a Ruffins gig, for crying out loud. Can't beat that hospitality.

Beer - Beer culture isn't as developed there as other cities, but NOLA, Parish, and Bayou Teche kick out some tasty brews. Parish Canebrake wheat ale is a great alternative to High Life, NOLA Irish Channel Stout is one of my favorite stouts. Of course, you can find Abita everywhere.

Do you watch Treme? This will give you a peek at nearly every locale featured on that show.

So yeah, I dig New Orleans.
Awesome! Thanks so much for all the info. I love this place..

A ton of good info...I am REALLY looking forward to the food and music. I will definitely pick up a bunch of local vinyl. Thanks for the tips.

I will definitely check out that stout in the Irish Channel...I lived in Ireland for a year and they know how to make their stouts. I fell in love with one from Cork, Ireland where I lived and I now drive 2.5 hours each way from Canada to the USA to pick up a case every one in awhile...haha I am always looking for new stouts to try though.

I don't watch that show.

Thanks again for the info. Added a bunch to my list of things to check out

Edit: I messaged you as well
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Sounds lame but i enjoyed the little tourist busses that take you through all the neighborhoods and cemeteries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Alabama Woody wrote:Sounds lame but i enjoyed the little tourist busses that take you through all the neighborhoods and cemeteries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My girlfriend wants to do the bike tour through the neighbourhoods. I'd love to see the architecture and get some history.
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

Well, Peaches is by no means the best record store in town, but I'd disagree that it's a tourist trap--I've picked up some bargains there. I agree Euclid is great. I like Skully'z (despite being on Bourbon), too.
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

arewhyehen wrote:
love_islander wrote:When I visited in May I went on a kayak trip through the swamp with these guys - it seemed to be a reasonable price and the trip was pretty cool. It wasn't too difficult to handle.

Good to hear. My girlfriend was wondering about these. She really wants to do one. What one did you do? There are two or three different options
I think we did the Honey Island one. If you've got a car, it doesn't seem hard to drive out to the spot rather than pay the $20 for transport. There are plenty of people along the roads fishing so seems safe enough (we at least didn't have our car broken into)
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Aquamarine wrote:Well, Peaches is by no means the best record store in town, but I'd disagree that it's a tourist trap--I've picked up some bargains there. I agree Euclid is great. I like Skully'z (despite being on Bourbon), too.
I will probably check out most of the record shops anyways since they are all fairly close to the areas I'm in.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

love_islander wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:

I think we did the Honey Island one. If you've got a car, it doesn't seem hard to drive out to the spot rather than pay the $20 for transport. There are plenty of people along the roads fishing so seems safe enough (we at least didn't have our car broken into)
We are driving our car down, so we will be driving out there too.