Advice On Framing

Whatever's on your mind, spill it here
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Advice On Framing

Post by shaneoftheroad »

I have a vintage 5x7 photo signed in silver paint pen by Jack and Meg. I'm wanting to have it properly framed for display and preservation. Obviously, this is a one-of-a-kind irreplaceable photo and I'm a bit nervous leaving it to the framers (likely Hobby Lobby). So, help calm my nerves. I know some of you here have had important pieces framed before. Is it possible to have them frame it without using permanent adhesives? Do you have any horror stories?

icdvet
Little Ghost

Re: Advice On Framing

Post by icdvet »

I used them once and they were ok but not really much cheaper than dedicated framing shops and I can't deal with all that religious shit. Be clear that they should on no account dry mount the piece as that will destroy its value completely ( which is why they use drymount as a swear word on EBeans). And I would recommend at least one layer of acid free matt (two would be better - one white one red). And finally UV resistant glass (museum grade if you can afford it). Finally, when all that is done I recommend that you ship it to me for safe keeping
Dear NSA, I hope that you enjoy this post.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

icdvet wrote:I used them once and they were ok but not really much cheaper than dedicated framing shops and I can't deal with all that religious shit. Be clear that they should on no account dry mount the piece as that will destroy its value completely ( which is why they use drymount as a swear word on EBeans). And I would recommend at least one layer of acid free matt (two would be better - one white one red). And finally UV resistant glass (museum grade if you can afford it). Finally, when all that is done I recommend that you ship it to me for safe keeping
That's a check on all counts. Thank you for the advice.

EDIT: HEY! Wait a minute! That last instruction seems fishy.
Kaber
Little People

Post by Kaber »

Ian gives some good advice - however If you want to preserve it 100% don't frame it - store it in a dark dry place preferably in a vacuum
icdvet
Little Ghost

Post by icdvet »

So you mean in space?
Dear NSA, I hope that you enjoy this post.
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

no, i think he means a hoover.

or dyson.
he is everything i hate...
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

elduderino wrote:no, i think he means a hoover.

or dyson.
I don't think it would fit in either. Space is pretty big.
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

i have a shark.
he is everything i hate...
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."