CREEM Magazine Documentary

Whatever's on your mind, spill it here
Jack Horner
Little Bird

CREEM Magazine Documentary

Post by Jack Horner »

I've wanted a CREEM Magazine t-shirt since I was a kid, ploughing through my older brother's box of Creem Magazines, so signing up to the Kickstarter for this documentary was a no brainer.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... n=750e1cb4

For the uninitiated, CREEM was a great rock & roll magazine that came out of Detroit in the 1970s. Check out the trailer in he link.

For the trainspotters out there, it looks to me like the interview with the director may have been shot at TMR in Detroit. But I could be wrong, I've never been there. I live about a million miles away.

Meg is my favourite.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Re: CREEM Magazine Documentary

Post by Kali Durga »

When I discovered Kiss in 6th grade, my parents banned that magazine from the house after the first copy I brought home, in which Lester Bangs wrote something in an article about the band about one of their songs being like "the first time you slipped the first bra strap off your girlfriend's shoulder". Or something like that. The only reason it's stuck in my memory for so long is because I honestly didn't realize it was even about sex until they made a big deal out of it. And, of course, I continued to sneak Creem into the house and read it. Ah, those were innocent times...
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Datch
Little Acorn

Post by Datch »

Jack Horner wrote:
For the trainspotters out there, it looks to me like the interview with the director may have been shot at TMR in Detroit. But I could be wrong, I've never been there. I live about a million miles away.
It is confirmed :thumbup:

~

Watch the below video shortie to learn more about my personal connection to this film. HUGE thanks to Third Man Records Cass Corridor for allowing us to film in their amazing space.

J

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... ts/1638405
“More people know a fragment of his music than know his name.”
Jack Horner
Little Bird

Post by Jack Horner »

Kali Durga wrote:When I discovered Kiss in 6th grade, my parents banned that magazine from the house after the first copy I brought home, in which Lester Bangs wrote something in an article about the band about one of their songs being like "the first time you slipped the first bra strap off your girlfriend's shoulder". Or something like that. The only reason it's stuck in my memory for so long is because I honestly didn't realize it was even about sex until they made a big deal out of it. And, of course, I continued to sneak Creem into the house and read it. Ah, those were innocent times...
Nice one! You can only interpret a song within the parameters of your own knowledge/experience and everything is very literal when you're a kid. When I was little, I thought Cat Scratch Fever was a condition Ted Nugent caught from the next door cat, just like he told it. I'm sure I wasn't alone. (The next song from that album, Wang Dang Sweet Poontang, was completely lost on me, but to hear it now, well, there aren't too many lines to read between...)
Plenty of Ted in CREEM by the way...
Meg is my favourite.
Jack Horner
Little Bird

Post by Jack Horner »

Datch wrote:
Jack Horner wrote:
It is confirmed :thumbup:

~

Watch the below video shortie to learn more about my personal connection to this film. HUGE thanks to Third Man Records Cass Corridor for allowing us to film in their amazing space.

J

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... ts/1638405

Nice sleuthing! Hopefully TMR will kick in some extra bucks if the target figure is looking a little out of reach. Nearly there though...
Meg is my favourite.
Jack Horner
Little Bird

Post by Jack Horner »

The doco was fully funded with 7 days to go! Boy Howdy!
So I'm looking forward to a cool documentary and T-shirt!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Meg is my favourite.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Very cool. I'd like to see it. Would be nifty to see Lester in action.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Jack Horner
Little Bird

Post by Jack Horner »

Here's a little bit of Lester to tide you over...
Last edited by trickster on Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed youtube code
Meg is my favourite.