SXSW 2016

Whatever's on your mind, spill it here
Sweetie
Little Bird

SXSW 2016

Post by Sweetie »

I will be attending for the first time this year! Anyone have any tips for me? Who else is attending?
I am hoping to see TMR and the RRS there, of course. I guess we will know more in March...
bkramer10
Little Ghost

Re: SXSW 2016

Post by bkramer10 »

Sweetie wrote:I will be attending for the first time this year! Anyone have any tips for me? Who else is attending?
I am hoping to see TMR and the RRS there, of course. I guess we will know more in March...
RSVP to everything, even if you don't plan on going to a certain show.

do you have a badge? If not, avoid the popular bands and showcases because you will likely waste a lot of time waiting in line for a show you won't get into.

Bring a bike if you can. It's faster to get around town by bike and it's free. If you can't, you can rent bikes through austin bcycle for unlimited access at $8/day. You have to return the bike before 30 min or else you get additional charges. There are stations all over the city.

I usually park by the state cemetery (comal, concho, chalmers off of E 7th street). Theres a few free venues by there and it's an easy bike ride or walk to downtown. Hotel Vegas usually has a bunch of good shows throughout the week

I also wait until the day before to book a hotel. Rates are jacked up now because of expected demand. You can use Priceline and get a room for 80/night instead of 200/night
Last edited by bkramer10 on Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelRox
Little Cream Soda

Post by MichaelRox »

I'll have my house full of TMR fans hanging out for the week of SXSW. SXSW is a beast. I've done it for years and it's fun but also a pain. Ideally TMR does enough that you can hang out and listen to good music with them. The last few years they have had some great bands play. I end up spending most of my south by doing whatever they put on and catching a few additional shows here and there. There is a pretty solid TMR group that makes it every year. Hit me up if you have any questions.
My avatar photo was taken by Jo McCaughey of me and my wife using my Hasselblad 501C.
Sweetie
Little Bird

Post by Sweetie »

Thanks for all of the tips! I have not done a major music festival since Lollapalooza in 1996 and SXSW seems to be a much different sort of animal. And I am no longer a teenager.

bkramer10: We don't have a badge, but do have a music wristband. We are flying in for the event and didn't want to chance it. I know it doesn't guarantee entry, but it should help.
A big thanks for the tip on RSVPing for everything. My midwest values may rebel against RSVPing and not showing up, but I see your point. I will certainly check out Hotel Vegas.

MichaelRox: Thanks for the offer of help! I may be sending you questions as we get closer.
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

Thanks for the advice, Kramer. I'll second the notion of Hotel Vegas. It's close to things but easily accessible, and I've seen some great shows there gratis or close to it during SX.
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

Four more days until I head down. Looking forward to catching Khruangbin & Vita and the Woolf, and grabbing a pretzel and a beer at Easy Tiger. I'm going to watch the bats at sunset and visit a couple moon towers. I don't see a "Things to do in Austin" thread so any recommendations for bands/food welcome.
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Post by dylnfan »

anonymousbrunette wrote:Four more days until I head down. Looking forward to catching Khruangbin & Vita and the Woolf, and grabbing a pretzel and a beer at Easy Tiger. I'm going to watch the bats at sunset and visit a couple moon towers. I don't see a "Things to do in Austin" thread so any recommendations for bands/food welcome.
Full kegs, everybody's going to be there, you ought to go. ;)
"I haven't told him, but I'm adding him to my movement to bring nice back. Because nice is the coolest, most punk thing ever."

- Cmelo
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom