What have I missed?

Whatever's on your mind, spill it here
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Re: What have I missed?

Post by chaptertwentyone »

arewhyehen wrote:
chaptertwentyone wrote:There's a new raffle group on Facebook that's become a very popular way to sell Third Man items.
They'll take what you thought were fair prices and fuck 'em right in the mouth.
I've been watching this a little more lately and it's a little frustrating to watch. I just sold a few things and I see the exact same things being raffled on there for double the price I just sold mine for... I can barely sell things at decent prices and they are getting insane prices for everything. I'm almost at the point where I might do the same thing...
Sigh, it is what it is.
I sold two or three things there myself actually, and for the exact same reason, but have since left.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

How do I find said group?
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

rsimms3 wrote:How do I find said group?

Search for "Vinyl Record Raffle" on facebook
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

chaptertwentyone wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:
chaptertwentyone wrote:There's a new raffle group on Facebook that's become a very popular way to sell Third Man items.
They'll take what you thought were fair prices and fuck 'em right in the mouth.
I've been watching this a little more lately and it's a little frustrating to watch. I just sold a few things and I see the exact same things being raffled on there for double the price I just sold mine for... I can barely sell things at decent prices and they are getting insane prices for everything. I'm almost at the point where I might do the same thing...
Sigh, it is what it is.
I sold two or three things there myself actually, and for the exact same reason, but have since left.

Yeah, I need to move some things soon so might have to post a few things on there soon
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Someone asked me if I was interested in joining that group. I don't get it. You buy the chance to get a record? What happens to the money you've spent if you don't win the raffle?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Datch
Little Acorn

Post by Datch »

If you don't win you have lost your money, if you do win you've got a record for 10 dollars instead of paying 400 for it.
It's just like gambling, either you win or all your money is gone, isn't it?
“More people know a fragment of his music than know his name.”
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Datch wrote:If you don't win you have lost your money, if you do win you've got a record for 10 dollars instead of paying 400 for it.
It's just like gambling, either you win or all your money is gone, isn't it?
I think that aspect is cool. It's just the fact that people are using it as a way to get double the price of the records value..
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

This is a very illegal way of selling records. Just if anyone has any bright ideas.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

higherlimits wrote:This is a very illegal way of selling records. Just if anyone has any bright ideas.
The person selling gets all of the money that everyone who's entered has paid? That's what I don't understand. Great for the seller, possibly great for the buyer, sucks for anyone who enters but doesn't win. I can get behind a raffle for which the money I pay goes to a worthy cause, but not a raffle for which the money just goes into someone else's pocket for the hell of it.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

Kali Durga wrote:
higherlimits wrote:This is a very illegal way of selling records. Just if anyone has any bright ideas.
The person selling gets all of the money that everyone who's entered has paid? That's what I don't understand. Great for the seller, possibly great for the buyer, sucks for anyone who enters but doesn't win. I can get behind a raffle for which the money I pay goes to a worthy cause, but not a raffle for which the money just goes into someone else's pocket for the hell of it.
Yes, the person selling gets all of the money. It's not legal and Paypal won't even let you use their services for a raffle. I had my paypal shut down because of a fundraiser on this site that was done as a raffle.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

higherlimits wrote:Yes, the person selling gets all of the money. It's not legal and Paypal won't even let you use their services for a raffle. I had my paypal shut down because of a fundraiser on this site that was done as a raffle.
I had a similar situation with Paypal for a Little Room raffle a few years ago, though the account wasn't shut down. Just had to pay an extra fee.
Datch
Little Acorn

Post by Datch »

It certainly socks that people sell off records for twice the price. That's why I nearly never participate.
And it wouldn't be too long before the group gets shut down I guess, cause gambling isn't allowed on Facebook. And in the end it's just that, a gamble.
“More people know a fragment of his music than know his name.”
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

It doesn't suck that people are getting double the value of a record, if I were selling one and got double the value I'd be ecstatic.

What does suck is the fact that money is being made from people who are giving money but getting nothing in return. Yes, they're doing it of their own free will and understand the risks, but I wouldn't be comfortable making money that way.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Jamie wrote:What does suck is the fact that money is being made from people who are giving money but getting nothing in return. Yes, they're doing it of their own free will and understand the risks, but I wouldn't be comfortable making money that way.
This. Exactly this. And I don't understand why people participate in it. If they have so much money to give without getting something in return, why don't they find a homeless person or charitable organization to give it to instead?
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

1. Random homeless people benefitting charity don't randomly give you a tricolor or Triple Decker record.
2. You don't know they aren't giving millions of dollars to charity every year. Or did you join the group and ask?

I'd say if you don't like the group for their morals you should infiltrate it and report it to FB, especially if minors are participating.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom