Ferguson

Whatever's on your mind, spill it here
drunger44
Little Bird

Ferguson

Post by drunger44 »

I've been watching the news lately and noticed that the riots in Ferguson Missouri are still continuing. How does everyone feel about this? It's a really tough situation.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Re: Ferguson

Post by rsimms3 »

I think the U.S. government should deport them all to Canada to teach them a lesson.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
drunger44
Little Bird

Post by drunger44 »

rsimms3 wrote:I think the U.S. government should deport them all to Canada to teach them a lesson.
Do you think the police in Canada are worse than in Ferguson or better?
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

drunger44 wrote:
rsimms3 wrote:I think the U.S. government should deport them all to Canada to teach them a lesson.
Do you think the police in Canada are worse than in Ferguson or better?
Define "worse" or "better".
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
runofthemill
Little Ghost

Post by runofthemill »

Police in Canada all ride horses, right? That seems awesome.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

runofthemill wrote:Police in Canada all ride horses, right? That seems awesome.
Police in New Orleans ride horses too. And trample people at Mardi Gras. That seems awesome. Sort of.....
drunger44
Little Bird

Post by drunger44 »

Based on the statistics I've seen on the news, what do you think of the situation? Not sure if horses have anything to do with it but I'm looking forward to the replies
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I read an article in the Washington Post this morning-- http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ ... story.html-- that made me feel that parts of the U.S. are becoming very similar to the Middle East-- Ignorant assholes on both sides of the equation with their heads stuck so far up the insides of their own beliefs that they can't even see daylight much less the perspective of their "enemies", and a whole lot of innocent people caught in the middle. And no effective means of resolution in sight.

Follow Mick Collins' Twitter feed for a while, he's tuned in to this situation-- https://twitter.com/BroknHeadphones
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

drunger44 wrote:Based on the statistics I've seen on the news, what do you think of the situation? Not sure if horses have anything to do with it but I'm looking forward to the replies
Why should I respond to your question when you didn't respond to mine? Hard to have a conversation that way....sounds more like an interview.
drunger44
Little Bird

Post by drunger44 »

rsimms3 wrote:
drunger44 wrote:Based on the statistics I've seen on the news, what do you think of the situation? Not sure if horses have anything to do with it but I'm looking forward to the replies
Why should I respond to your question when you didn't respond to mine? Hard to have a conversation that way....sounds more like an interview.
worse or better meaning the way police handle issues as well as racism in a particular country. I believe Canada is the most diverse multi-cultural country in the world and doesn't have as much of an issue.
drunger44
Little Bird

Post by drunger44 »

Kali Durga wrote:I read an article in the Washington Post this morning-- http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ ... story.html-- that made me feel that parts of the U.S. are becoming very similar to the Middle East-- Ignorant assholes on both sides of the equation with their heads stuck so far up the insides of their own beliefs that they can't even see daylight much less the perspective of their "enemies", and a whole lot of innocent people caught in the middle. And no effective means of resolution in sight.

Follow Mick Collins' Twitter feed for a while, he's tuned in to this situation-- https://twitter.com/BroknHeadphones
Good article. It's a really tough situation and it seems like all media outlets are calling for people to pick a side. It's a shame really.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

This is interesting, too: "Who are the Oath Keepers, and why has the armed group returned to Ferguson?"-- http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morn ... -ferguson/

I'm not sure what to think of that. Supposedly they're there on the side of the citizens/protesters. Is that a good thing? I dunno.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

drunger44 wrote:
rsimms3 wrote:
worse or better meaning the way police handle issues as well as racism in a particular country. I believe Canada is the most diverse multi-cultural country in the world and doesn't have as much of an issue.
Canada isn't all that diverse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... sity_level
drunger44
Little Bird

Post by drunger44 »

rsimms3 wrote:
drunger44 wrote:
rsimms3 wrote:
Canada isn't all that diverse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... sity_level
is this per capita? There's only 34 million people in Canada.
cwja
Little Ghost

Post by cwja »

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-i ... s-database

Great site for reference purposes. The US has never kept track of how many people die in interactions with the police. This is a crowd sourced effort to do that. They rely on tips from people who see the incidents reported locally.

As for your original question, 1 out of 5 people killed by the police are unarmed. 40% of them are black, a significantly higher percentage than what they represent in the population. There should be a debate on the solutions, but there is no debate on if there is a problem.

It's not just Ferguson. If you're interested in reading some of the more egregious examples, I suggest looking up the Tamir Rice, John Crawford or Eric Garner cases. The Walter Scott and Samuel Dubose deaths are also important examples of the importance of body cams and citizen recordings.