Tidal Digital Music Service

Whatever's on your mind, spill it here
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Re: Tidal Digital Music Service

Post by rsimms3 »

nestacat wrote:This is a new interview from today addressing the 'backlash,' although really to my ear it is mostly just more vagaries and platitudes. I dunno... I don't use streaming services, personally.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/busin ... a-schlogel

And, I don't really mind at all about TMR's catalog being available to stream. I truly hope a billion more people listen to the tunes, really. I am just so not on board with the exclusive content issue, and neither Jack's vault chat nor Cam's message did much to alleviate my concerns, honestly. It is pretty clear that exclusive offerings by the artist co-owners/shareholders is the key to the success of this.
I liked the service a lot better before I read this article. Buzzword buzzword buzzword more money for artists buzzword. Question dodge buzzword (bravery) buzzword buzzword industry lingo buzzword music is art and not to sell iPods buzzword buzzword buzzword.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

The NPR report on this the other day said the amount artist would earn from this service was almost identical to what they received through other similar services. But it also did not post exact numbers on it...
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Stl_ben wrote:The NPR report on this the other day said the amount artist would earn from this service was almost identical to what they received through other similar services. But it also did not post exact numbers on it...
That is my take on things too from what I gathered...and people really have their facts crossed because everyone seems to be cancelling their spotify account in order to switch to this. The fact is that Tidal is claiming to pay more than Youtube and Google, which is almost nothing due to the fact that there are regular people uploading bands music to these services where bands see nothing in return.

Again, just poor launch and lack of info on their part..
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I agree that they really misjudged the way this was presented. The press event should have included the info that's coming out today, they could have just had this q&a that night instead of all that dramatic silliness-- http://www.thefader.com/2015/04/01/the- ... rded-music

After reading that, I think Jay-Z would definitely help his cause if he'd realize that water is not free (does he go down to the creek with a bucket every morning or something, unlike the rest of us who have to buy water from a public utility?) and cut back on his use of the word "ethereal".
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Analytics....$6 bottles of water.....that interview really didn't help things much.

I think it would be a good gesture of support for the service if the top tier musician investors only took pay from profits and not their own personal royalties. Their royalties should be spread out with everyone else to increase their bottom line or put that toward the offset for new artists so their initial start up pay was higher until they reached a certain level.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Post by dylnfan »

rsimms3 wrote:Analytics....$6 bottles of water.....that interview really didn't help things much.

I think it would be a good gesture of support for the service if the top tier musician investors only took pay from profits and not their own personal royalties. Their royalties should be spread out with everyone else to increase their bottom line or put that toward the offset for new artists so their initial start up pay was higher until they reached a certain level.
Damn you Simms...
A-1967-Soviet-propaganda--007.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I haven't told him, but I'm adding him to my movement to bring nice back. Because nice is the coolest, most punk thing ever."

- Cmelo
Kaber
Little People

Post by Kaber »

Strangely this reminds me of the indie label market
where Richard Russell was behind the counter a year on
from the Adele supernova hit album.
He was going on about how it ( the music business )
was all about shifting units.
If you charge twice as much as the other guys
but only shift a fraction of their units then
are you the better guy to sell with?
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

dylnfan wrote:
rsimms3 wrote:Analytics....$6 bottles of water.....that interview really didn't help things much.

Damn you Simms...
Probably easier than trying to get a wedding cake in Indiana.....
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Post by dylnfan »

rsimms3 wrote:
dylnfan wrote:

Damn you Simms...
#Ouch #FuckingRepublicans

Indiana, America's piñata.
"I haven't told him, but I'm adding him to my movement to bring nice back. Because nice is the coolest, most punk thing ever."

- Cmelo
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

dylnfan wrote:
rsimms3 wrote:
dylnfan wrote:

Damn you Simms...

That's rough. Canada's piñata is Quebec and they get it pretty bad..haha
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

arewhyehen wrote:
dylnfan wrote:
rsimms3 wrote:
dylnfan wrote:

Damn you Simms...

Toronto had it's turn with Rob Ford.
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

arewhyehen wrote:
everyone seems to be cancelling their spotify account in order to switch to this.
Really? Most of the comments I've read seem to be along the lines of "I wouldn't touch this with a 33 foot pole due to it being the work of Satan." :lol:
Datch
Little Acorn

Post by Datch »

Aquamarine wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:
everyone seems to be cancelling their spotify account in order to switch to this.
Really? Most of the comments I've read seem to be along the lines of "I wouldn't touch this with a 33 foot pole due to it being the work of Satan." :lol:
Satan, Illuminati, New World Order, Vampires & Aliens. The more people drag something down, the more people know it and check it out.
“More people know a fragment of his music than know his name.”
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Aquamarine wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:
I have seen a lot of people on Facebook changing from Spotify to Tidal because they think Tidal is paying more than Spotify to their artists....which as far as we can all see, is false. Oh, and then there are all the other crazies who are changing just because Jack is involved.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

rsimms3 wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:
dylnfan wrote: #Ouch #FuckingRepublicans

Toronto had it's turn with Rob Ford.
Meh, Rob Ford was all in good fun. Trust me, The Québécois are some crazy people....not sure how that Province is run the way it is. Then there is the fact that they want to separate from Canada, which they wouldn't last a month on their own..