Tidal Digital Music Service

Whatever's on your mind, spill it here
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Re: Tidal Digital Music Service

Post by shaneoftheroad »

I don't know, man. Jack kinda had a place to reach his fans for about the same amount of money. I understand the evolution, that's fine. But to offer another site exclusive Stripes performances without including the Vault? Feels like I just saw my girl kiss a total stranger. haha
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

shaneoftheroad wrote:I don't know, man. Jack kinda had a place to reach his fans for about the same amount of money. I understand the evolution, that's fine. But to offer another site exclusive Stripes performances without including the Vault? Feels like I just saw my girl kiss a total stranger. haha
I agree. Seems the Vault is the place for such things. At least an option to buy it through the Vault. If need be.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

On the other hand we sure as hell don't control JW and his music. If he wants to team up on a new business endeavor, go for it.
I find it hard to believe that streaming music in lossless can sound as good as a more direct path like an album or CD. For on the go sure. It probably sounds great.
I'm going to stick with buying the album and get a download card or CD and rip it. I want to own something I can touch.
But in reality it's hard to beat all the music you want for $20 a month.
Better have a good service plan with lots of speed and limitless Mbps at home and a plan for your phone with a lot of gb's per month.
Times are a changing !
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
pgharf
Little Cream Soda

Post by pgharf »

I have mixed feelings on this. On the one hand, lossless + more money going to artists = a good thing. On the other hand, I don't like the idea of paying $20/month for The Vault and then having to pay another $20/month for content exclusive to Tidal. I was hoping they'd offer some sort of discount to Vault members, or maybe another tier of membership that includes all you get as platinum member, as well as access to Tidal. Definitely don't blame Jack and TMR for getting involved in this, just don't like the idea of Tidal getting exclusive content that we won't be getting in the Vault. The 10% discount is nice, though I'd honestly have more exclusive digital content than a 10% discount.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

The Tidal exclusive content not available in the Vault is the only issue people are taking with this whole thing. I'm with ya'. They should take the Vault into account if they're going to have exclusive stuff from Jack and especially from Jack's past projects. (I REALLY can't watch that Stripes video with my Vault sub, guys? Really? haha)

But you're technically right. It's Jack's to do with whatever he likes. We're just the fans.
pigammon
Little Cream Soda

Post by pigammon »

Something that interests me is the cover for Rag And Bone on Tidal. Anybody recognise this? Image
Avatar is Fall by Bridget Riley. (1963)
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

I'm in on a "free trial", there's only two videos - the first TV appearance and the Conquest music video. Most/all of the Jack White videos are present.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

pigammon wrote:Something that interests me is the cover for Rag And Bone on Tidal. Anybody recognise this? Image
Pretty sure that fish is from the jack lomo package. Strange.

Datch
Little Acorn

Post by Datch »

You all have seen there is a 10$ option, as much as a lot of other streaming apps charge?
Now this is owned by musicians, it makes for a fairer way to all musicians who get their music streamed on it. Spotify pays next to zero to the artist for songs steamed, this does.
Maybe in the future they also give a free option with adds, or a 5 dollar one without exclusive content who knows? I'd say ask for it if the current plans are too expensive.
Last edited by Datch on Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“More people know a fragment of his music than know his name.”
grumblestiltskin
Little Ghost

Post by grumblestiltskin »

Well, I'm gonna try the free trial, because free trial is free.
Patient B1003
curseofhalos

Post by curseofhalos »

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/ ... /30/tidal/

if you're interested in music business stuff, I'd suggest this guy's blog. I've been a subscriber for almost a decade, but he's almost always spot on with things. He can get a bit self indulgent (especially when he's writing about skiing in Aspen), but when it comes to industry stuff, he usually calls it.

As for artist getting paid more, I'm not sure how they could pay more than Spotify or the others. They run on licenses and licenses are usually the same amount of money. It comes down to subscribers. I don't see a lot of people paying $20, and it'll be hard to get people to switch for even $10 because I'm sure there will be bugs to work out. What I pay for my streaming service is cheaper than both options (and comes with cloud storage), but I still may give the free trial a go. I'll probably wait a few months to start it though to give them a chance to iron things out.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

curseofhalos wrote:http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/ ... /30/tidal/

if you're interested in music business stuff, I'd suggest this guy's blog. I've been a subscriber for almost a decade, but he's almost always spot on with things. He can get a bit self indulgent (especially when he's writing about skiing in Aspen), but when it comes to industry stuff, he usually calls it.

As for artist getting paid more, I'm not sure how they could pay more than Spotify or the others. They run on licenses and licenses are usually the same amount of money. It comes down to subscribers. I don't see a lot of people paying $20, and it'll be hard to get people to switch for even $10 because I'm sure there will be bugs to work out. What I pay for my streaming service is cheaper than both options (and comes with cloud storage), but I still may give the free trial a go. I'll probably wait a few months to start it though to give them a chance to iron things out.
Great article. I agree.

That covered a few of my concerns at first. Like he says, you're going to have a hard time trying to get people to pay more for something they already have. I realize I don't know all the specifics and this is about as simplistic as you can make things, but if right now a company like spotify is charging $10 and $2 go to artists and this new service is $20 and $4 go to artists from that..sure yeah it's more money but the streaming company is still pocketing 80% of the profits. He obviously explains it a lot better with all the licensing and the labels and all that shit, but in my opinion with all of this, everyone is still getting paid the same amount, the only person getting fucked in it all is the user, who is now paying double. So you use other things like a lossless streaming service? That's false...you can't stream lossless. You need to compress to a point of quality loss in order to stream or else the data stream would be outrageous and it would be tough with a slow connection to have a continuous stream. I see they have already changed their website from lossless streaming service to hi-fidelity which is just a fancy word to make them sound better. But the "audiophiles" aren't stupid and know it's the same sort of crap quality from a streaming service, even if it is a little better. And let's be honest, 99% of the people streaming don't give a shit about quality of music. That is what they are used to and sadly it doesn't bother them, so they won't be paying double the price for essentially the same sort of quality. There's a $10 option yes, but who is going to switch to another service that they know nothing about and pay the same price when they are already comfortable with their service now?

Lastly, there is this whole debate with the vault members about exclusive material being on tidal and not the vault, when we have been members for years and promised exclusive material...that's a whole debate I won't even get started....overall I think the whole thing has turned really negative, really fast. I also don't think the fact that having 20 of the richest musicians on the planet in a room asking for more money really helps their case..
Kaber
Little People

Post by Kaber »

Bikedo
Little Ghost

Post by Bikedo »

Chris, ii laughed.
Thanks.
I'd like to sleep 100 days, my feeling has gone, flesh cold and numb.
carlena777
Little Bird

Post by carlena777 »

It was pretty much a meeting with the Illuminati