Tidal Digital Music Service

Whatever's on your mind, spill it here
Getbacktogether
Little Acorn

Re: Tidal Digital Music Service

Post by Getbacktogether »

grumblestiltskin wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:But the reason for not wanting you to use your phone to take a picture or video at a show is that it takes you out of the moment and impinges, however briefly, on your interaction with what's happening on stage. What he seems to feel you're paying for at a show is the visceral experience, so the phone prohibition at shows really isn't related to this at all. And can't people stream on a computer as well as a phone? I can see more valid reasons to be sour on this than that, the argument seems to be a little bit of a stretch.
PLUS Jack recognises that you might want some pics of the night as memories and pays a professional photographer to take super high quality photos of the whole thing and puts them up on his site for you to download for free...there is literally no reason for you to take low quality phone pics at a Jack show.
And I completely agree there is NO reason absolutely zero reason too but guess what..... that's what day in age we live in. Do you think people care about professional photos? NO. they want to post them on all their social media sites and snapchat video. If he is going to be okay and on board and support music streaming then he better get used to how people are today. He needs to jump and be full go or no go at all.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

grumble grumble grumble
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Getbacktogether wrote: If he is going to be okay and on board and support music streaming then he better get used to how people are today. He needs to jump and be full go or no go at all.
Y'know, you're my buddy and you lift big time and I respect that you have negative feelings about this whole thing even if I do think you're stretching a little bit with this argument. But I gotta say this-- I hope to hell Jack never gets used to how people are today and I hope that he will always do these contradictory things that throw us for a loop and get us riled up. That would piss me off more than anything else I can think of that he could do. I'd give up on him tomorrow if he became that boring.

And, wait, I'm wondering now if I'm confusing your username with someone else. If so, you're not my buddy and I don't know whether you lift, but I still respect that you have negative feelings and all the rest applies. Why can't everyone use the same username everywhere?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

I appreciate JW fans here and elsewhere are venting their mostly negative feelings about his involvement in Tidal.

Me? Could. Not. Care. LESS.

I get emotionally invested in the music, not the man. Unless you're a part of his family or are in his inner circle, parsing what his reasoning would be getting involved in this or any business venture is just mental effluvium IMO.

Now back to your regularly scheduled forum topic.
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
Datch
Little Acorn

Post by Datch »

Just like letting people experience music however they like whether it be with a phone, computer, cd, record or streaming service....
Thats what Jack is doing you know. Nobody is standing with a machete at your throat to throw out your vinyl, cds, downloads, and get a 20 or 10 dollar subscription to Tidal instead. You can still experience Jack whatever way feels right with you. His involvement with Tidal isn't going to change that. Just as how him being on Spotify/Itunes/ Youtube etc hasn't changed him or the music in any way either.

As long as the man keeps making music and playing shows there is nothing to be upset about.
“More people know a fragment of his music than know his name.”
carlbelvin
Little Cream Soda

Post by carlbelvin »

Datch wrote:
Just like letting people experience music however they like whether it be with a phone, computer, cd, record or streaming service....
Thats what Jack is doing you know. Nobody is standing with a machete at your throat to throw out your vinyl, cds, downloads, and get a 20 or 10 dollar subscription to Tidal instead. You can still experience Jack whatever way feels right with you. His involvement with Tidal isn't going to change that. Just as how him being on Spotify/Itunes/ Youtube etc hasn't changed him or the music in any way either.

As long as the man keeps making music and playing shows there is nothing to be upset about.
Nice use of machete, I really dig it, really breaks up that cliche.
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

Getbacktogether wrote:The argument may be a bit of a stretch but its how I feel lol. I feel if you pay for a ticket you should be able to experience it how ever you want even if its watching through a phone. Its America. You paid for a ticket enjoy it how you please. I for one don't ever pull my phone out at a concert but if that's how people want to experience it let them. Just like letting people experience music however they like whether it be with a phone, computer, cd, record or streaming service.... Like I said it may be a stretch and it may sound stupid but I just don't like this for many reasons. It may just be me and that's fine because everyone has their own opinion. Its just hard seeing him with jay z and all those people starting a service because they say artists don't get or make enough money yet everyone of them are Millionaires. Tidal for All right? after you pay a quick $20.00 a month fee.... Just really don't like Jacks involvement.
The other face of Freedom to Cellphone is Freedom FROM Cellphone. Enjoying taking pictures at the show frequently ruins other people's enjoyment of the show, and artists hate it--it's not just wanting people to be in the moment, it's also not wanting to have flashes going off in front of them, looking into the crowd and just seeing a mass of screens, etc. I totally hate it when people take pictures in front of me.

And also, I think there's some confusion about who's on Tidal and why. It's not just this group of artists trying to make more money for themselves, there's also a mass of other artists on there, many of them totally unknown, who Tidal aims to recompense for their work in a fairer manner than other outlets. Whether it actually works that way remains to be seen, of course, but the high profile artists with the big bucks are starting this service on behalf of all artists, most of whom couldn't afford to help bankroll this sort of enterprise. (And it's a $9.99 fee if you can settle for the lower-quality audio.) I'm not saying this is a brilliant idea and everybody ought to sign up for it, just that it seems to me to be getting a very unfair rap so far.
koala
Little Acorn

Post by koala »

Aquamarine wrote:I don't quite get the logic of why they would do it at all, if they were anticipating it would be a failure? That sounds like a pretty bad business move to me, not to mention a PR nightmare. (Mind you, they've had that already, so . . . )
What I mean is that it looks as if they've prioritized covering their costs over wider access as if they expect to have a low subscription. I don't know if that makes any sense. I guess I used the wrong words. :?
In my defence, English isn't my first language.
koala
Little Acorn

Post by koala »

Tangible, Collectible, and Digital
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

koala wrote:
Aquamarine wrote:I don't quite get the logic of why they would do it at all, if they were anticipating it would be a failure? That sounds like a pretty bad business move to me, not to mention a PR nightmare. (Mind you, they've had that already, so . . . )
What I mean is that it looks as if they've prioritized covering their costs over wider access as if they expect to have a low subscription. I don't know if that makes any sense. I guess I used the wrong words. :?
In my defence, English isn't my first language.
I understood what you meant, your English is great. :) I just meant that I don't understand the benefits for them of doing something they expect to have a low subscription.

Also, thanks for posting the Tangible, Collectible, and Digital slogan--I was going to do that, but couldn't remember what the C stood for. :lol: (I was going with Compressed . . . )
Juanjo
Little Cream Soda

Post by Juanjo »

woodisgood wrote:I get emotionally invested in the music, not the man. Unless you're a part of his family or are in his inner circle, parsing what his reasoning would be getting involved in this or any business venture is just mental effluvium IMO.
+1

ps: gotta be brave to say that in here :lol:
This machine steals souls.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Something T-Bone Burnett said in relation to the American Epic project-- http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/a ... ic-project
In 1926, the record industry fell off 80% in one year because of the proliferation of radio in big cities. The middle-class and wealthy people who were able to buy radios no longer wanted to buy records, because they could get music for free – why buy a record? So the recording companies, having equipment and nothing to do, decided to go down south, where people didn’t have electricity, and therefore didn’t have radios. So they started recording people down south – they started recording the poorest people in the country and broadcasting their voices all around the world.
Struck me as an interesting semi-parallel to things happening today.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Kali Durga wrote:Something T-Bone Burnett said in relation to the American Epic project-- http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/a ... ic-project
In 1926, the record industry fell off 80% in one year because of the proliferation of radio in big cities. The middle-class and wealthy people who were able to buy radios no longer wanted to buy records, because they could get music for free – why buy a record? So the recording companies, having equipment and nothing to do, decided to go down south, where people didn’t have electricity, and therefore didn’t have radios. So they started recording people down south – they started recording the poorest people in the country and broadcasting their voices all around the world.
Struck me as an interesting semi-parallel to things happening today.
You can apply the same analogy to the broadcast and record industries with the advent of tape and then later with CDs. A lot of radio station record lathes were junked/scrapped when tape became available and then the same happened to record presses when CDs made there ascent to dominance. Look where the record industry is today.....
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Exactly. The record industry has taken many hits but is still around, hanging on like a terrier. But the reference to people in the 1920s not buying records because they could get music for free on the radio made me giggle.
curseofhalos

Post by curseofhalos »

http://pitchfork.com/news/59312-jay-z-a ... exec-says/

Bet a bunch of people sign up after hearing about this....
Here's an incentive to sign up for Tidal, the streaming service recently launched by Jay Z and a bunch of his famous friends: Jay, Jack White, and several other musicians associated with Tidal have been calling subscribers to thank them for their support, according to an executive at the company.
"[Jay Z] called some of his fans and one of them made the funniest comment," Vania Schlogel, Tial's chief investment officer and chief industry liaison, told Business Insider. "He said, 'this is the best customer service call I’ve ever received!'"
According to Schlogel, musicians involved with Tidal are given accounts that allow them to see who is listening to their music, and how often it's being heard. That means that, say, White would be able to see how many times you've had "Seven Nation Army" on loop.
Schlogel also told Business Insider that Jay Z "works every day" on the service. He's "very deeply involved, and the reason being is because this is a life project for him."