Anybody into collecting 78s?

Whatever's on your mind, spill it here
JakobGreen
Little Bird

Re: Anybody into collecting 78s?

Post by JakobGreen »

Kali Durga wrote:Came into a small haul, thanks to a pal who bought a batch of several thousand 78s and has been sorting through them the last two years. He decided to sell off a bunch so I snagged a few--

Whats that Columbia in the first picture in the bottom left?
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Oops, I forgot to post the individual shot of that one. It's Bessie Smith--

Interesting that they tagged her as a "comedienne", isn't it? I've only ever read about her being a singer.

Gorgeous label on that one, too.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
JakobGreen
Little Bird

Post by JakobGreen »

Kali Durga wrote:Oops, I forgot to post the individual shot of that one. It's Bessie Smith--

Interesting that they tagged her as a "comedienne", isn't it? I've only ever read about her being a singer.

Gorgeous label on that one, too.
That label on the Columbia is sometimes associated with ethnic recordings. I thought you might had a Marika Papagika..
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Ah, no, I'm not knowledgeable enough to be into anything that esoteric. WTMAB is my intro to Greek music, it remains to be seen how far down that rabbit hole I'll go.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

If anyone's interested, Joe Bussard's posted a bunch of new cds in his on-line store, all songs straight from his collection-- http://www.joesvintage78.com/new-products-1/
JakobGreen
Little Bird

Post by JakobGreen »

Kali Durga wrote:If anyone's interested, Joe Bussard's posted a bunch of new cds in his on-line store, all songs straight from his collection-- http://www.joesvintage78.com/new-products-1/
Hes made some new compilations! Good stuff!
achouza
Little Ghost

Post by achouza »

damn any recomendations on these? which are worth getting? I have never bought from him

new website looks nice though, big upgrade from last site
<<<< Ahuevooo! >>>>
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I have The Year of Jubilo, Blues From the 20s & 30s, and Blues From the 30s & 40s. All are great. Year of Jubilo was put out by Dust To Digital, so it's got a nice sleeve and great book of liner notes. The others are made by Joe in his basement and include hand-typed (on a very old typewriter) tracklists. Each of them contain a few tunes I was familiar with, and some by people I've never heard of that made me hit the repeat button a few times because they're so good. I need to get Blues From the 50s. Haven't looked at the tracklists for the others yet, but I can imagine there are some pretty astounding songs on all of them.

I need to get in touch with him again, maybe ask him to make a harmonica mix for me. Some of the harp tunes he played for me blew my ever-lovin' mind.
achouza
Little Ghost

Post by achouza »

Kali Durga wrote:I have The Year of Jubilo, Blues From the 20s & 30s, and Blues From the 30s & 40s. All are great. Year of Jubilo was put out by Dust To Digital, so it's got a nice sleeve and great book of liner notes. The others are made by Joe in his basement and include hand-typed (on a very old typewriter) tracklists. Each of them contain a few tunes I was familiar with, and some by people I've never heard of that made me hit the repeat button a few times because they're so good. I need to get Blues From the 50s. Haven't looked at the tracklists for the others yet, but I can imagine there are some pretty astounding songs on all of them.

I need to get in touch with him again, maybe ask him to make a harmonica mix for me. Some of the harp tunes he played for me blew my ever-lovin' mind.
awesome thanks, Il order one of the blues ones to test out
<<<< Ahuevooo! >>>>
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

I was just at the market in Athens today and there was a vinyl shop that had a ton of 78s. I wish I could travel with records a little easier. I would have picked a few up
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

A 30-minute documentary about Joe Bussard, apparently part of the Desperate Man Blues dvd (which I still haven't gotten ahold of...)-- https://www.facebook.com/dusttodigital/ ... 588010821/ He talks a lot about cutting records for his Fonotone label, in addition to collecting.
JakobGreen
Little Bird

Post by JakobGreen »

Kali Durga wrote:A 30-minute documentary about Joe Bussard, apparently part of the Desperate Man Blues dvd (which I still haven't gotten ahold of...)-- https://www.facebook.com/dusttodigital/ ... 588010821/ He talks a lot about cutting records for his Fonotone label, in addition to collecting.
The dvd is a must. You can head over to Dust to Digitals website and get it for little or nothing. It is a must see.