Custom Record Pressing Services & Reviews

Whatever's on your mind, spill it here
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Re: Custom Record Pressing Services & Reviews

Post by arewhyehen »

Dr.Zissou wrote:So has anyone used any of these places with FLAC audio? How do they sound? I've been seriously considering getting some live shows and trying to get them pressed. Bootlegs basically. Anyone know if US pressing plant will do that? They're of shows that are freely available on the internet.

I just sent FLAC files (studio..not live) to a pressing plant. They are doing a few copyright songs for me. I won't mention the specific site (PM if you want) but I had a few who said they would. I designed custom artwork and labels for the records for me and my girlfriends anniversary. Then got our song pressed. So yeah...no issues there as long as its 1 or 2 copies for personal use.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

If it's 1 or 2 copies...you probably had them cut, not pressed.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Stl_ben wrote:If it's 1 or 2 copies...you probably had them cut, not pressed.
Yes I did. Just used to calling it a pressing plant. If he's just looking for one or two copies of concert boots, he will be doing the same thing I'm guessing. Unless he wants to spend a ton..
Dr.Zissou
Little Acorn

Post by Dr.Zissou »

I was really interested in doing a small run of 100 - 500. But I don't think it's going to be possible. It'll be pretty hard to get permission and the risk is not worth the reward. I might be inclined to get like 10 copies cut if possible though. I just wanted to do something fun.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Then I would suggest looking into having some dubplates cut. Dubplates are "seconds" when it comes to manufacturing master lacquer discs. Unfortunately, with the peak in interest in vinyl records, there may be a shortage of dubplates. I've read that they are near impossible to get in the UK so cutters over there are running out quickly. Not sure what the status is over here. Also, they won't be cheap. Most folks who use plastic usually cut small discs but you can have 12" discs cut. The extra cost is wrapped up in more time cutting, more wear on the cutting needle, and the need to find round blanks. You can get away with cutting squares in plastic that are less than 12" per side but once you want to cut a 12" disc it has to be round to play on standard turntables. Not to be discouraging, just so you know going into it.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Dr.Zissou wrote:I was really interested in doing a small run of 100 - 500.
Now that is a whole different issue..don't see anyone doing that many copies of a bootleg for you. I could be wrong though..
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

Dr.Zissou wrote:I was really interested in doing a small run of 100 - 500. But I don't think it's going to be possible. It'll be pretty hard to get permission and the risk is not worth the reward. I might be inclined to get like 10 copies cut if possible though. I just wanted to do something fun.
1 - 2 is something fun. A "small run of 100 - 500" seems greedy as fuck. You just lost me.
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
achouza
Little Ghost

Post by achouza »

Just found this old thread about making small runs of records that may or may not have permission from the artist

I am looking to do something similar, small run (~20?) of a 7" with music from a live concert I went to. Obviously not as a business, but as a cool memento for friends who went to the concert

I know that a Lathe Cut is probably easiest, but the audio isnt that great so I am looking for other options. If anybody has experience or has done something similar please PM me
Thanks!
<<<< Ahuevooo! >>>>
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

lathe cuts sound great if they are done right. Someone like In The Cloud Records makes killer lathes.
However, they aren't going to cut something if you don't have permission to make it.
Put yeah pressing a record , the biggest cost is the plates. Which is why people seldom press less than 100 of a record.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

So, we all know it can be done, because of the 3DT.... Anyone know where I could get mini 3.25" record sleeves printed?

No, I am not counterfeiting denial twist records..haha Just got a cool DIY project on the go..