Pono Music Player

Whatever's on your mind, spill it here
cwja
Little Ghost

Re: Pono Music Player

Post by cwja »

If I was betting on one or the other to "make it big", I'd bet on Sony. The price will come down and most people would feel more comfortable with a familiar name over the weird sounding thing. If it remains a niche market, Pono having a head start with a much more affordable option will definitely benefit it. The price would really need to come down before I'd consider it, $300-500 is pretty much as high as I'd go for a portable music option.

One thing I like about SubPop is they offer you the downloads in mp3, ALAC and FLAC when you purchase vinyl from them. No waiting either, just log in to your account and download away.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

cwja wrote:If I was betting on one or the other to "make it big", I'd bet on Sony. The price will come down and most people would feel more comfortable with a familiar name over the weird sounding thing. If it remains a niche market, Pono having a head start with a much more affordable option will definitely benefit it. The price would really need to come down before I'd consider it, $300-500 is pretty much as high as I'd go for a portable music option.

One thing I like about SubPop is they offer you the downloads in mp3, ALAC and FLAC when you purchase vinyl from them. No waiting either, just log in to your account and download away.
I think a download card with 320MP3 and 192/24FLAC (or highest quality avail) should be standard. If I buy a CD or vinyl or whatever, I shouldn't have to pay again for a digital version..

Even a ton of movies offer a digital download for tablets..
carlbelvin
Little Cream Soda

Post by carlbelvin »

Stl_ben wrote:Ok. Check back in 2 years and we will see.....
( of course I thought minidiscs were the wave of the future too.....)
Oh I did love my minodisc player, can those come back? I guess in an HD format since that's what's cool right now. Damn fads...
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

The PONO has a great little DAC in it. It's a nice player for the money !

The QOTSA was a FLAC file. I will have to check to see what the specs are.
I'm fixing to buy Lazaretto from PONO. Been real busy!
Football and Hockey plus redoing some stuff in the house. Work, etc.

My hope is the PONO will cause records to start coming with FLAC files and force iTunes to step up their game.

I'm rooting for user friendly HD music. Not just PONO ....
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

arewhyehen wrote:
cwja wrote:If I was betting on one or the other to "make it big", I'd bet on Sony. The price will come down and most people would feel more comfortable with a familiar name over the weird sounding thing. If it remains a niche market, Pono having a head start with a much more affordable option will definitely benefit it. The price would really need to come down before I'd consider it, $300-500 is pretty much as high as I'd go for a portable music option.

I think a download card with 320MP3 and 192/24FLAC (or highest quality avail) should be standard. If I buy a CD or vinyl or whatever, I shouldn't have to pay again for a digital version..

Even a ton of movies offer a digital download for tablets..
Amen !
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

carlbelvin wrote:
Oh I did love my minodisc player, can those come back? I guess in an HD format since that's what's cool right now. Damn fads...
HD music is a hell of a lot more than a fad.

It's been around quite awhile and is being made more user friendly.

Sounds better than 80% of the vinyl out there ...,
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
carlbelvin
Little Cream Soda

Post by carlbelvin »

Alabama Woody wrote:
carlbelvin wrote:

I know, I was just sad about not having a minidisc anymore and took my rage out on HD music. I'm sorry HD music can we still be friends? I'll call you.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

carlbelvin wrote:
Alabama Woody wrote:
carlbelvin wrote:

I know, I was just sad about not having a minidisc anymore and took my rage out on HD music. I'm sorry HD music can we still be friends? I'll call you.
are you picked on or beat up a lot?
carlbelvin
Little Cream Soda

Post by carlbelvin »

arewhyehen wrote:
carlbelvin wrote:
Alabama Woody wrote:
carlbelvin wrote:

are you picked on or beat up a lot?
By music quality? All the time.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Lazaretto in Hi Rez format sounds fk'n great :-) Available in the PONO store. Common JW send them Blunderbuss !
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Neil is on Jimmy fallon tonight talking about the Pono player
achouza
Little Ghost

Post by achouza »

How happy are folks with their Pono audio quality?

Was thinking about getting one and now I just read this article where a blind sound test vs an Iphone had bad results (for the PONO). Apparently Neil Youngs professional audio comparison tests were done vs low quality mp3 files versus the standard audio files sold on itunes today. Now seems like a bit of a sham. Thoughts?

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/it-was-one-o ... 83039.html
<<<< Ahuevooo! >>>>
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

achouza wrote:How happy are folks with their Pono audio quality?

Was thinking about getting one and now I just read this article where a blind sound test vs an Iphone had bad results (for the PONO). Apparently Neil Youngs professional audio comparison tests were done vs low quality mp3 files versus the standard audio files sold on itunes today. Now seems like a bit of a sham. Thoughts?

I am quite happy with the quality of mine. I purchased a pair of Sennheiser IE60 earbuds when I got it. They are worth the same amount as the player, but I got them on sale for about 1/3 of the price. I'm sure a combo between the two upgrades of the new player and headphones helped from my regular ipod a ton. I've hooked it up to a couple different stereo systems as well as in my girlfriends new car and it sounds great also. I did a few tests myself when I first got it because I had purchased on the kickstarter campaign and hadn't been able to test before buying. I did the average 320kbs MP3 vs 24bit FLAC test. Even with the earbud headphones it felt like I could hear the instruments were coming from different corners of the room. It was sort of a 3d sound if that makes sense, where the MP3 was more of a flat sound. You definitely notice the subtle details on things that now come through a lot more clear. I listen to a lot of Neil Young and Jack, so those guys are normally record with vinyl or HD in mind. I think most people will notice a difference. I have heard the same from many of my friends who have all purchased one as well...

In my opinion I think it's only a matter of time until the technology catches up and all music players will be lossless. You can jump in now or jump in later when everyone else does.
achouza
Little Ghost

Post by achouza »

arewhyehen wrote:

I am quite happy with the quality of mine. I purchased a pair of Sennheiser IE60 earbuds when I got it. They are worth the same amount as the player, but I got them on sale for about 1/3 of the price. I'm sure a combo between the two upgrades of the new player and headphones helped from my regular ipod a ton. I've hooked it up to a couple different stereo systems as well as in my girlfriends new car and it sounds great also. I did a few tests myself when I first got it because I had purchased on the kickstarter campaign and hadn't been able to test before buying. I did the average 320kbs MP3 vs 24bit FLAC test. Even with the earbud headphones it felt like I could hear the instruments were coming from different corners of the room. It was sort of a 3d sound if that makes sense, where the MP3 was more of a flat sound. You definitely notice the subtle details on things that now come through a lot more clear. I listen to a lot of Neil Young and Jack, so those guys are normally record with vinyl or HD in mind. I think most people will notice a difference. I have heard the same from many of my friends who have all purchased one as well...

In my opinion I think it's only a matter of time until the technology catches up and all music players will be lossless. You can jump in now or jump in later when everyone else does.
Interesting, makes sense. Thanks for feedback!
<<<< Ahuevooo! >>>>
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

achouza wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:

Interesting, makes sense. Thanks for feedback!
I know Woody has posted his praise in the thread earlier and Chris as well