Pono Music Player

Whatever's on your mind, spill it here
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Re: Pono Music Player

Post by arewhyehen »

cwja wrote:Good grief, that's kind of ridiculous. Who pays $400 for something and just forgets about it? Must be nice. :lol:
I think it's probably more the people who aren't so technologically advanced. I feel bad actually. It's a bit tough to figure out their site and whether or not all your info is there and where to update it. They have been warning people through emails for the past 4 or 5 months about updating info....so they should have gotten the emails... but who knows...some people don't do well with computers...

If I ordered a Neil Young version....of PJ or one of my favourite bands and they sold it on me and then offered me a yellow or black one for the same price....i would be a bit angry..ha very angry..
cwja
Little Ghost

Post by cwja »

It's definitely not the most user friendly site, but it's not exactly rocket science either. I'd be annoyed too, but at myself for not taking care of my shit. Does seem weird they don't have space to store them, they're not that big. Probably just trying to give the slackers a kick in the butt so they can wrap the Kickstarter part of the business up.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

cwja wrote:It's definitely not the most user friendly site, but it's not exactly rocket science either. I'd be annoyed too, but at myself for not taking care of my shit. Does seem weird they don't have space to store them, they're not that big. Probably just trying to give the slackers a kick in the butt so they can wrap the Kickstarter part of the business up.
Yeah, it's a new business, I think they want to keep on making money and don't want to have items sitting around. They said 1% of the players....so When are are looking at 6million dollars raised in the kickstarter, even just 1% is a hell of a lot of money to sit on and wait for people. They have already had 8 months....haha

I am sure they are getting a ton of emails from people who missed out and are wanting artist series ones. This helps them a little bit.

I have been keeping an eye out on ebay as well. You can get some pretty cheap black or yellow versions on there. I have seen a bunch sell for $200-300. I've been tempted to jump on a few of the cheap black versions.

Also noticed that there are a ton of PJ versions on there...i think more PJ than any other artist....you no good flipping son of a bitches...hahaha
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

new Walkman is going to be the Pono killer....
(as in iPod killed the Zune)
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
cwja
Little Ghost

Post by cwja »

$1100, yikes. Storage is the same. Wonder how it sounds in comparison. Maybe the $700 is the price you pay for a more standard size/shape.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Stl_ben wrote:new Walkman is going to be the Pono killer....
(as in iPod killed the Zune)
At three times the price to do the same thing? Doubt it...
cwja
Little Ghost

Post by cwja »

If Neil is worried about the competition he could always hire a couple of hackers to scare those little bitches.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

I think it's time for Sony to give up the whole "Walkman" thing.

Also, there have been a few portable music players to follow in the Pono's footsteps. I think that is what Neil was hoping for. His goal was to get HD music to listeners on the go with the same convenience as portable MP3 experience. Also the launch of the Pono Music Store has given us a ton of HD music all in one place. Sure places like HD tracks exist but this is much better with a lot more albums and artists. Hopefully it will push ITunes to start giving the option for a lossless download option...they have them all..
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

cwja wrote:If Neil is worried about the competition he could always hire a couple of hackers to scare those little bitches.
I am not really sure Neil has ever been into many things for the money... He's stuck it to his labels many times by recording music that he loves rather than what the label wanted him to, because they thought their idea of music would make more money... he also does a shit ton of fundraiser events (Farm Aid, Bridge School, Honor The Treaties, Harvest The Hope, etc.) and look at the guy...he plays old beat up guitars, wears $30 jeans from walmart, plain black tshirts, and looks like he cant afford a hair cut...

Take a look at his other companies...The train company doesn't make any money.....the Lincvolt car is a money pit.....these are all just hobbies or things he is passionate about. He wanted to give us a portable music player that allowed HD music playback....i think all these companies following in his footsteps means its been successful.....he also wanted to give us more access to that HD music....with the launch of the Pono Music store being less than a month old, i think he has already done a great job...with lots of more to come.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Only rich people with LOTS of money can be labeled as "not in it for the money."

Yes the price on that Walkman is high....but thats how new tech normally is....then it falls down to a reasonable price. Just try to remember how much CD players cost when they first came out! I could care less about HD audio, but if I did I would be all over the Walkman before the Pono. Looks nicer and 124 GB of memory!
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

The Pono came with 64gb built in hard drive and a removable 64gb card. For a total of 128gb. I'm sticking with my PONO. The PONO website and music selection is a great app.

I like it. No need to spend a $1000 to try out HD music. HD music sounds mighty good to my ears. I'm sold. Hopefully records will come with mp3 and HD downloads soon. The last QOTSA did !!!
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Stl_ben wrote:Only rich people with LOTS of money can be labeled as "not in it for the money."

Yes the price on that Walkman is high....but thats how new tech normally is....then it falls down to a reasonable price. Just try to remember how much CD players cost when they first came out! I could care less about HD audio, but if I did I would be all over the Walkman before the Pono. Looks nicer and 124 GB of memory!
I wouldn't really call HD music files a new technology...
If that were the case, why is the Pono player 1/3 of the price of the walkman and they both play the same technologY?

Plus as Scott said...the Pono has 128gb of space as well....and can be upgraded with a 128gb card (totaling 192gb)
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Ok. Check back in 2 years and we will see.....
( of course I thought minidiscs were the wave of the future too.....)
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Stl_ben wrote:Ok. Check back in 2 years and we will see.....
( of course I thought minidiscs were the wave of the future too.....)
I'm not saying Pono will be the music player choice of the future. I'm just saying I don't think the Sony Walkman will be the killer of Pono. I don't think Sony is as big of a player in portable music as they used to be.

Apple requires bands to submit HD recordings of their music when adding music to iTunes, so we know they are sitting on all those. Right now they only offer an MP3 Download but could easily offer an HD download option. They have the largest (legal) collection of music for download, so I think if Apple offered that HD option and released an HD compatible ipod, they could kill Pono..

I think that is a good and bad thing. I hate iTunes and refuse to use it, so for me the new Pono Music store was an exciting launch.. On the other hand, having that amount of music available for for HD download would be incredible..
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Alabama Woody wrote:The Pono came with 64gb built in hard drive and a removable 64gb card. For a total of 128gb. I'm sticking with my PONO. The PONO website and music selection is a great app.

I like it. No need to spend a $1000 to try out HD music. HD music sounds mighty good to my ears. I'm sold. Hopefully records will come with mp3 and HD downloads soon. The last QOTSA did !!!
What was the specs on the QOTSA HD download? I think I have the album in 44/16. If it's a higher download, I will have to go pull out my album and download.

A lot of NIN and Trent albums come with full HD downloads. I bought Gone Girl on vinyl and it came with a 192/24 download. AWESOME.

Speaking of 192/24....how did Lazaretto sound?