Pono Music Player

Whatever's on your mind, spill it here
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Re: Pono Music Player

Post by Alabama Woody »

arewhyehen wrote:
Alabama Woody wrote:I have the yellow one. Hoping for a TMR, JW, Or WS version on down the road.
I am glad now that they didn't come out with a Jack White related one off the get go. I would have been broke and to buy that many without testing is risky. I would for sure buy another now that I have them. I've been thinking about tracking down Buffalo Springfield and CSNY so I have all the Neil Young versions. Haha. Probably not a wise investment...
I like those signature models. I just had to avoid that rabbit hole ...... For now !
Probably should have sprung for the Neil Young Model. I wanted to try it out before I spent so much money.

I love it so bring on some new signature models !!! That clear one would have been cool too.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419540110.833772.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419540147.052267.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Alabama Woody wrote:I haven't looked for any cards yet. I figured they were expensive. I'll let you know if I find a deal on one here in the states. I'm going to buy some cables next so I can hook it up to my preamp. Both my preamps have balanced 2 channel audio connections, should sound great !
Yeah I hooked up mine to a system in my local audio shop with balanced cables. He's got a $10,000 system hooked up for people to test things out and he wanted to hear this so we tried a bunch of different things. Sounds great. The difference between MP3 and HD FLAC was night and day.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Lazaretto is available through the PONO store in the highest possible resolution !!! 192/24.
It's going to sound better than the vinyl ...... Yes I said that. It's going to blow away the vinyl !!!
I'm about to buy the files. I will let ya'll know what I think.
All other JW music is at a lower resolution on the Pono site.
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
cwja
Little Ghost

Post by cwja »

Hope it sounds better than the vinyl, the Lazaretto vinyl is garbage.

Wanted to add some more thoughts on the Pono after I had more time to check it out. I really believe it's worth the extra money to use as a portable music player. The size and interface is not as convenient as an iPod, but the sound quality makes it worth it. The size isn't really an issue to me though. Most of the time I'm using it on the go will be on a plane/train or in the car, so it wouldn't be in my pocket to begin with.

I will be ordering an additional unit to use on the go. Don't want to drag around the PJ signature version and mess it up. I'll use it at home as a digital music player and purchase a basic Pono for travel. I will wait for a bit, to see if the price comes down any and to let them work out any kinks in the design.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Alabama Woody wrote:Lazaretto is available through the PONO store in the highest possible resolution !!! 192/24.
It's going to sound better than the vinyl ...... Yes I said that. It's going to blow away the vinyl !!!
Dammit...I would love to grab this as well but the store isn't up and running in Canada yet.. :(
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

cwja wrote:Hope it sounds better than the vinyl, the Lazaretto vinyl is garbage.

Wanted to add some more thoughts on the Pono after I had more time to check it out. I really believe it's worth the extra money to use as a portable music player. The size and interface is not as convenient as an iPod, but the sound quality makes it worth it. The size isn't really an issue to me though. Most of the time I'm using it on the go will be on a plane/train or in the car, so it wouldn't be in my pocket to begin with.

I will be ordering an additional unit to use on the go. Don't want to drag around the PJ signature version and mess it up. I'll use it at home as a digital music player and purchase a basic Pono for travel. I will wait for a bit, to see if the price comes down any and to let them work out any kinks in the design.
I am with you on this one. I am probably going to keep my Neil Young LE for home or whatever and then grab one this year for every day use. The size really doesn't bother me either..

I am going to wait a little bit before ordering one, in hopes that the next version has a bit more internal storage
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

cwja wrote:Hope it sounds better than the vinyl, the Lazaretto vinyl is garbage.

I didn't want to say it but I agree whole heartedly that lazaretto sounds pretty bad .... To many gimmicks I guess had an effect on the vinyl production. It's just a Novelty. I don't understand why there is not a regular ole vinyl at 180gm's

I love the PONO. It's shape is for the DAC and the DAC is what makes it sound so good. I can live with that. I mostly use in the car and on the go. I will still use my old iPod when mowing the yard !

I probably won't buy another until there is an upgrade or a super cool something like a TMR version. They say on the site that they will release any unspoken for versions in the middle of January. Tempting to buy a Neil Young model ...... just say no, just say no !

They are also working an a home component that will have Terabytes of storage !
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

arewhyehen wrote:
Alabama Woody wrote:Lazaretto is available through the PONO store in the highest possible resolution !!! 192/24.
Dammit...I would love to grab this as well but the store isn't up and running in Canada yet.. :(
That sucks, I think it's supposed to be up and running soon, isn't it ?

I'm watching some college football. I'm going to buy the Lazaretto later on. I'll let ya'll know what I think.
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
cwja
Little Ghost

Post by cwja »

I'd probably bite on a yellow and black TMR themed version. Could look pretty sweet with the logo on it. A home version with that much storage would be tempting, depending on the price.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Alabama Woody wrote:

I didn't want to say it but I agree whole heartedly that lazaretto sounds pretty bad .... To many gimmicks I guess had an effect on the vinyl production. It's just a Novelty. I don't understand why there is not a regular ole vinyl at 180gm's

I love the PONO. It's shape is for the DAC and the DAC is what makes it sound so good. I can live with that. I mostly use in the car and on the go. I will still use my old iPod when mowing the yard !

I probably won't buy another until there is an upgrade or a super cool something like a TMR version. They say on the site that they will release any unspoken for versions in the middle of January. Tempting to buy a Neil Young model ...... just say no, just say no !

They are also working an a home component that will have Terabytes of storage !
Yeah I saw the home component that will have a ton of storage...that will be cool. Like a Bose player or something for the kitchen? haha

I also saw that the unspoken units will be on sale January 15th....my wallet cringed...it might be when i make a few purchases in order to get all 4 Neil versions...I need CSNY and Buffalo Springfield which I don't think will go as fast as the NY and NYCH versions, if any go up..
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Alabama Woody wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:
That sucks, I think it's supposed to be up and running soon, isn't it ?

I'm watching some college football. I'm going to buy the Lazaretto later on. I'll let ya'll know what I think.
Yeah.... "Soon" but I am not a patient person..haha

I am very excited, and quite surprised to see Jack's album on there....they are pretty protective of his music....
cwja
Little Ghost

Post by cwja »

How are there versions that aren't spoken for? Thought they said the signature editions would be whatever number was sold? Are they unnumbered versions? I know mine is 16 of 495. It actually kind of annoys me. Just looks a little silly.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

cwja wrote:How are there versions that aren't spoken for? Thought they said the signature editions would be whatever number was sold? Are they unnumbered versions? I know mine is 16 of 495. It actually kind of annoys me. Just looks a little silly.
As per update 52
Shipping Update

We have successfully shipped about 98% of our PonoPlayer rewards and all of the other Kickstarter rewards were previously fulfilled. Unfortunately, there are currently a couple of hundred PonoPlayers with incomplete addresses or missing phone numbers that cannot be shipped until the recipient provides their correct shipping information by emailing support@ponomusic.com.

For those player rewards that remain unclaimed, we need to hear from you now. Unfortunately, we cannot sit on inventory for long as it will start costing us additional storage fees. As a result, if we don’t hear from you by January 15th 2015, we will be forced to release the Limited Edition Artist series inventory for sale on our store. If you miss this deadline, we will still provide you a Yellow or Black player so long as we hear from you by the end of 2015. If you are already a Yellow or Black player backer, your deadline for claiming your player is year-end 2015.
cwja
Little Ghost

Post by cwja »

Good grief, that's kind of ridiculous. Who pays $400 for something and just forgets about it? Must be nice. :lol: