Random Question Thread

Whatever's on your mind, spill it here
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Re: Random Question Thread

Post by rsimms3 »

A single pressed record will cost you around $600 if you can get them to press a copyrighted song. You'll have to sign a waiver stating it is your music and you have all the rights to what you are having pressed because there are issues with both regular license and mechanical license of music. You'd be better off with a lathe cut but most folks who cut lathe records either charge a lot for a single cut because of set up time etc. or you have to order a specific number of the same record out of the gate. You can contact several cutters including the one in Australia mentioned, PIAPTK as Ben mentioned, and a few others. Some lathe cutters only cut one side and not both so you need to clarify this when contacting folks as well. I'm sure if you Google "lathe cut record" you can find several outfits that provide this service and you can narrow it down from there.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Cool. I will look into a few of these options.

Thanks for the help guys. Now I need to get started on some center label designs and cover design... hand painted wish you were here number 1 of 1....haha
yolomanolo
Little Cream Soda

Post by yolomanolo »

[quote="arewhyehen"]Does anyone know of a pressing plant that will do only one or two copies of a record?

I found one a few years ago and had talked to them and had it all planned out, but didn't have the money at the time, now I want to get it done.

My girlfriend and I started out the first 4 years of our relationship long distance with us both going away to school and only seeing each other in the summers so our song became "Wish you were here - Pink Floyd" (yes I know the real meaning behind the song) and so when I move to Ireland this fall for a year, I want to get our song pressed on a 45 and the b-side be me doing an acoustic cover and then i want to design the cover and center labels as well as add a few inserts inside like photo strips of us together on trips. I know there are a few places that will do it. It was pricey to just get one, but I want to mail it home to her while i am gone..

I know there are a ton of people on here that are into pressing vinyl now days, so hopefully one of you can help me out...maybe Grim or Jett or one of you other labels..

Edit: Has anyone ever heard of these guys or dealt with them? http://www.customrecords.com/custom_mad ... cords.html[/quote

I think urp does rhat
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Does no one on Swirl care for Poetry? The Poetry book/record has been for sale for over a month and no posts about it!
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

Stl_ben wrote:Does no one on Swirl care for Poetry? The Poetry book/record has been for sale for over a month and no posts about it!
What's that?
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Jettkoral wrote:
Stl_ben wrote:Does no one on Swirl care for Poetry? The Poetry book/record has been for sale for over a month and no posts about it!
What's that?
They have been selling these in Nashville for awhile. They look really cool...but poetry isn't for me.
PugFaceRex
Little Ghost

Post by PugFaceRex »

are they for sale online? if so, I want to get one... sometime.
<BluefordT> jey pals i am,we is,fuckeres rerred up
<BluefordT> jhdb
-------------------------------------------------------
<Quizze> i didnt like pug asking jack if he would eat himself as a hot dog.... off color
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

The Third Man poetry book? They did so much leading up to that, why the heck didn't they announce that it was available for purchase and why not put it in the on-line store? I definitely wanted one, but they apparently don't want me to have one.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Lazaretto publicity trumps buzz for a poetry book...
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Didn't seem that way when they were doing the poem of the day for days and days in the Vault. I kept waiting for an announcement that the thing was finally available for sale and assumed I'd missed it somewhere.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Kali Durga wrote:Didn't seem that way when they were doing the poem of the day for days and days in the Vault. I kept waiting for an announcement that the thing was finally available for sale and assumed I'd missed it somewhere.
Poem of the day was for national poetry month...which has ended.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Yes, and I figured the release of the book would coincide with that.
MWooten34
Little Cream Soda

Post by MWooten34 »

Kali Durga wrote:Yes, and I figured the release of the book would coincide with that.
That would've made too much sense...
MWooten34
Little Cream Soda

Post by MWooten34 »

Kali Durga wrote:Yes, and I figured the release of the book would coincide with that.
That would've made too much sense...
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Why is Jack White using Spiderman to promote Lazaretto?

"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom