The Turntable Topic

Whatever's on your mind, spill it here
jrfhoutx
Flipper

Re: The Turntable Topic

Post by jrfhoutx »

Lately I've been considering upgrading from my vintage tables to something new to go with the amp and phono pre that I'm building, I've been looking at the Pro-Ject RPM 1.3 Genie. Ive read there have been issues with motor noise. anyone have any experience with this table and/or issue?

also been considering the U-turn, How are you U-Turn owners liking them? worthwhile?
"They were a garage band on Sympathy?! Who knew?" -- EVM
ISO/FS/FT
FLANAGAN, YARRGH!!!
Douchebag Thief
maxman142001
Little Ghost

Post by maxman142001 »

Time to invest in a new table...
Everyone still loving their Pro-Ject Debut III? Seems like a great table with a 2m Red cart (which I already have)
$299 shipped
<<Jack White>> @Maxman142001 'let me tell you about my baby she was born out in arizona..."
cwja
Little Ghost

Post by cwja »

maxman142001 wrote:Time to invest in a new table...
Everyone still loving their Pro-Ject Debut III? Seems like a great table with a 2m Red cart (which I already have)
$299 shipped
Still love mine. As long as you're okay with the manual belt change and no auto-return, go for it. Everyone seems to love their Carbon as well. Don't think you can go wrong with either one.
thenewdeal
Little Cream Soda

Post by thenewdeal »

question for those of you with children...

my Daughter will be 3 this summer and I'd like to get her own turntable. She has decent collection of disneyland records and seaseme street/sing along type stuff I've managed to get throughout the years at thrift stores and dollar bins. We've been using my main system - but a portable one would be cool for her and she could keep it in her room. Does anyone have experience or comments on:

1) the older fisher 825 tables - should be able to grab one on ebay and get a needle easily.
2) the sears/GE mickey mouse record player - probably the coolest looking but may be harder to find in decent shape
3) one of those crosley suitcase type tables...

any input is appreciated. my only concern with the crosley is it may not be able to handle a 3 year old messing with it.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Fisher Price - Safer than a crosley and cheaper than both other options.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
thenewdeal
Little Cream Soda

Post by thenewdeal »

Stl_ben wrote:Fisher Price - Safer than a crosley and cheaper than both other options.
thanks - you work for Goodwill online, correct? do you see many come through?
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

thenewdeal wrote:
Stl_ben wrote:Fisher Price - Safer than a crosley and cheaper than both other options.
Yep we get these all the time.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
thenewdeal
Little Cream Soda

Post by thenewdeal »

Stl_ben wrote:
thenewdeal wrote:
Yep we get these all the time.
:thumbup: i'll check it out when i'm out of work later
littleacorn
Little Ghost

Post by littleacorn »

I finally bought a new TT. I got a blue Debut Carbon, pretty sure I got a smokin deal on it too. Can't wait till this sucker shows up :D
"Jack White shreds like a man who met the devil at the crossroads and punched him in the nuts"
maxman142001
Little Ghost

Post by maxman142001 »

littleacorn wrote:I finally bought a new TT. I got a blue Debut Carbon, pretty sure I got a smokin deal on it too. Can't wait till this sucker shows up :D
Im in the same boat...Red Debut Carbon...should be here Friday :)
<<Jack White>> @Maxman142001 'let me tell you about my baby she was born out in arizona..."
littleacorn
Little Ghost

Post by littleacorn »

maxman142001 wrote:
littleacorn wrote:I finally bought a new TT. I got a blue Debut Carbon, pretty sure I got a smokin deal on it too. Can't wait till this sucker shows up :D
How much did you pay for yours? I got mine for $339.
"Jack White shreds like a man who met the devil at the crossroads and punched him in the nuts"
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

maxman142001 wrote:
I've got the blue debut carbon. I love that TT. For the price of it, even if you pay full price, you can't go wrong with the quality of parts. You get your moneys worth and more.
knoxvle
Little Acorn

Post by knoxvle »

I got the Pro-Ject essential turntable paid $299 here in Canada a little over a year ago and what a great investment.
I love the manual movement of everything.
maxman142001
Little Ghost

Post by maxman142001 »

littleacorn wrote:
maxman142001 wrote:
How much did you pay for yours? I got mine for $339.
Got mine for $200.00..needed the tonearm rewired but for $275 shipped you cant beat that ;)
Only 30 hrs total on the unit
Pics of the repairs below

Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

It may be time for me to finally invest in a real turntable setup, as I dropped my crappy Crosley this morning carrying it back into the living room after ripping some stuff. It still plays, but very quietly. So help me out, folks-- I do not have a ton of money to spend because I'm trying to save for Jack's tour. I also don't have a ton of space for a large receiver and speakers. And my computer is in another room, so I need to be able to at least move the turntable to hook it up for ripping. Any ideas of a setup that could fulfill my requirements of being inexpensive, somewhat portable, and usb compatible?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."