Little People

Re: Adam what are you doing to mice?

Post by higherlimits »

Yee-Haw!
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

Well, this took a left turn, but not entirely off topic because laboratory mice are incredibly inbred too. Maybe we could use your kids for some clincal trials Kevin. Controlling genetics in human trials is tough. hah

Since you're asking, here's what I did today. It's gonna be boring as shit to read though. Basically, we use many different breeding colonies of mice which are all unique. Each has a specific gene knocked out. These genes are carefully chosen for their relevance to either allergic asthma, cancer, or acute lung infection. These are all things that our research team is "interested" in. By determing the effect (positive or negative) of not-having a particular gene (and therefore protein) we can assess the significance of that gene in different dieases and thus determine whether it is a good candidate to target for developing therapeutics. So, toward that end, mice lacking several genes that we know play some role in acute lung infection and cancer were infected with a common bacterical strain. Controls were done with wild type mice. Following a time course of infection, mice were "sacrificed" in the name of science. Surgery was done to remove the lungs. Lungs were homogenized into a cellular suspension, nuclear proteins were separated from cytoplasmic proteins using several methods that would bore the shit out of you to assess the activity of several critical transcription factors driving cytokine transcription in cells of the mouse lung. To assess transcription factor activity of NF-kappa-B, a double-stranded oligonucleotide was labelled with a radioisotope (32P ATP) and incubated with 8 micrograms of nuclear lung proteins from each experimental group. An electrophoretic mobility shift assay was performed by resolving nulcear proteins on an acrylamide gel. Positive binding of the radio-labelled oligo will cause a shift in the distance the probe moves in the gel. In short, the intensity of radioactivity in certain portions of the gel will indicate the level of transcription factor activity and differences between mice/conditions will be noted. The radioactive gel is currently being exposed to a film which will be developped tomorrow to visualize the result. I'll let you know how it turns out. :?

Any questions?
3quid
Little Acorn

Post by 3quid »

7th_son wrote:Well, this took a left turn, but not entirely off topic because laboratory mice are incredibly inbred too. Maybe we could use your kids for some clincal trials Kevin. Controlling genetics in human trials is tough. hah

Since you're asking, here's what I did today. It's gonna be boring as shit to read though. Basically, we use many different breeding colonies of mice which are all unique. Each has a specific gene knocked out. These genes are carefully chosen for their relevance to either allergic asthma, cancer, or acute lung infection. These are all things that our research team is "interested" in. By determing the effect (positive or negative) of not-having a particular gene (and therefore protein) we can assess the significance of that gene in different dieases and thus determine whether it is a good candidate to target for developing therapeutics. So, toward that end, mice lacking several genes that we know play some role in acute lung infection and cancer were infected with a common bacterical strain. Controls were done with wild type mice. Following a time course of infection, mice were "sacrificed" in the name of science. Surgery was done to remove the lungs. Lungs were homogenized into a cellular suspension, nuclear proteins were separated from cytoplasmic proteins using several methods that would bore the shit out of you to assess the activity of several critical transcription factors driving cytokine transcription in cells of the mouse lung. To assess transcription factor activity of NF-kappa-B, a double-stranded oligonucleotide was labelled with a radioisotope (32P ATP) and added 8 micrograms of nuclear lung proteins from each experimental group. An electrophoretic mobility shift assay was performed by resolving nulcear proteins on an acrylamide gel. Positive binding of the radio-labelled oligo will cause a shift in the distance the probe moves in the gel. In short, the intensity of radioactivity in certain portions of the gel will indicate the level of transcription factor activity and differences between mice/conditions will be noted. The radioactive gel is currently being exposed to a film which will be developped tomorrow to visualize the result. I'll let you know how it turns out. :?

Any questions?
Made it about that far before I gave up, but I guess a lot of you would do the same if I went through a day of my work.
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

3quid wrote:
Made it about that far before I gave up, but I guess a lot of you would do the same if I went through a day of my work.
:lol: So so true. You saved yourself a lot of boredom, trust me. Let's hear what a day in the job of everyone is. What do you do Matt? I know you're an engineer, civil, mechanical, electrical...etc? We know Kevin is a human breeder and possibly obsessed with feces.
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

OK, here is the new and improved excitement amped up version of my day.

Yo, we took some mice and infected those fuckers. Then we totally ripped their lungs out and put them in a blender. Then I fucking blasted the blended lungs with some radioactive shit. Totally fucked them up man. Cured some shit. The end. :geek:

EDIT: Please note that NO ANIMALS were hurt in the above study. No serisouly, we have extremely strict animal care regulations. It's ridiculous the hoops I have to jump through sometimes. Very humane this research. Why do I sound so unconvincing even to myself?
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

7th_son wrote:Well, this took a left turn, but not entirely off topic because laboratory mice are incredibly inbred too. Maybe we could use your kids for some clincal trials Kevin. Controlling genetics in human trials is tough. hah

Since you're asking, here's what I did today. It's gonna be boring as shit to read though. Basically, we use many different breeding colonies of mice which are all unique. Each has a specific gene knocked out. These genes are carefully chosen for their relevance to either allergic asthma, cancer, or acute lung infection. These are all things that our research team is "interested" in. By determing the effect (positive or negative) of not-having a particular gene (and therefore protein) we can assess the significance of that gene in different dieases and thus determine whether it is a good candidate to target for developing therapeutics. So, toward that end, mice lacking several genes that we know play some role in acute lung infection and cancer were infected with a common bacterical strain. Controls were done with wild type mice. Following a time course of infection, mice were "sacrificed" in the name of science. Surgery was done to remove the lungs. Lungs were homogenized into a cellular suspension, nuclear proteins were separated from cytoplasmic proteins using several methods that would bore the shit out of you to assess the activity of several critical transcription factors driving cytokine transcription in cells of the mouse lung. To assess transcription factor activity of NF-kappa-B, a double-stranded oligonucleotide was labelled with a radioisotope (32P ATP) and incubated with 8 micrograms of nuclear lung proteins from each experimental group. An electrophoretic mobility shift assay was performed by resolving nulcear proteins on an acrylamide gel. Positive binding of the radio-labelled oligo will cause a shift in the distance the probe moves in the gel. In short, the intensity of radioactivity in certain portions of the gel will indicate the level of transcription factor activity and differences between mice/conditions will be noted. The radioactive gel is currently being exposed to a film which will be developped tomorrow to visualize the result. I'll let you know how it turns out. :?

Any questions?
If I was a hot naked chick I'd totally be throwing myself at you.. or running away, it's tough to say...
3quid
Little Acorn

Post by 3quid »

7th_son wrote:OK, here is the new and improved excitement amped up version of my day.

Yo, we took some mice and infected those fuckers. Then we totally ripped their lungs out and put them in a blender. Then I fucking blasted the blended lungs with some radioactive shit. Totally fucked them up man. Cured some shit. The end. :geek:
hahaha, I don't think I can top that. I so wish I had your job.
kevron6
Gonzo Journalist

Post by kevron6 »

That is actually pretty interesting stuff Adam.

My typical day starts off by me looking at customer orders for aircraft engines which changes daily in this economic environment. I usually then go to about ten meetings to discuss the changes in the schedule then sit on conference calls with design engineers about improving fuel efficiency, emissions, cost improvements and engine life. I also get to deal with the Union at our plant over stupid issues. My day is filled with worthless conversations, meetings and conference calls. Think of the last scene in Burn After Reading that is not much unlike the dumb asses I deal with day after day. We have meetings just to schedule another meeting. The most interesting part of my job is probably union relations and hiring. I get some weird kick out of messing with people heads in interviews. I love using the on minute pause after they answer a question I am always fair to people and realize nerves play a huge factor but it is interesting to see how people react when you just sit in silence for approximately a minute after they answer the question. I like to see how people react to stressful situations. I know it sounds like I am being a prick but I actually had the corporate HR person sit in with me in an interview and she told me I was the best interviewer she had seen in the company. The union is a blast to deal with I am pretty good at arguing and usually have them going in circles usually by the end of the debate they forget what they were even arguing about. Yes I enjoy messing with peoples heads, contract negotiations are fun too I always look forward to them every three years but on the national level there are much tougher people to deal with than at a local level but it is fun to march wits with a skilled union official we have a mutual respect for each other.
I always said, if I had to fuck a guy... I mean had to, if my life depended on it... I'd fuck Elvis.
kevron6
Gonzo Journalist

Post by kevron6 »

Yes Matt most people in Kentucky are inbred seriously. Luckily I am from Charleston, South Carolian originally so I am probably not related to my wife.

I work in a manufacuring facility that makes very critical turbine nozzles and airfoils. You would not believe some of the retards that work on this stuff. Give that a long thought next time you are on an airplane. Odds are we made the engine for the airplane you are riding on.
I always said, if I had to fuck a guy... I mean had to, if my life depended on it... I'd fuck Elvis.
kevron6
Gonzo Journalist

Post by kevron6 »

I think Adam got you all worked up Ian, statistically the fourth child is the most likely to b gay as well.
higherlimits wrote:

Any questions?
If I was a hot naked chick I'd totally be throwing myself at you.. or running away, it's tough to say...
kevron6
Gonzo Journalist

Post by kevron6 »

Adam keep up the good work. I smoke like a chimney and need someone to cure cancer soon. I have always heard that the jelly like substance that sits on top of spam will cure any type of cancer. If you use it and it works just mention me in you speech when you are accepting he Nobel Peace Prize
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

I have never even seen an opened canned of spam but I am gonna try that shit out next week. If it works, we'll be able to afford all of the tri-colors we could ever dream of! :twisted:

Some days I would kill for a job like that Kevin. There is a new guy coming to interview for a job in a couple of weeks and I am going to show him around our labs and offices, you should give me some good questions to ask. Maybe I'll try the one minute silence test, see what happens. What the funniest reaction you've had to that approach?
loripanori
Vampire Slayer

Post by loripanori »

Woo animal research... I "sacrifice" piles of fruit flies daily by knocking them out with ether, and then dropping them into a jar of soapy water... Animal care regulations aren't so tight when you work with an animal that normally live on your bananas. :D

In my lab, I study transgenic flies that I made by injecting Drosophila eggs with a DNA sequence that I pieced together and grew in bacteria... I combined a DNA sequence from corn (on the cob!) with a fly eye colour gene, and am studying how the plant DNA sequence turns off (or "silences") the fly gene, in the fruit flies. Nerdtastic!!
kevron6
Gonzo Journalist

Post by kevron6 »

7th_son wrote:I have never even seen an opened canned of spam but I am gonna try that shit out next week. If it works, we'll be able to afford all of the tri-colors we could ever dream of! :twisted:

Some days I would kill for a job like that Kevin. There is a new guy coming to interview for a job in a couple of weeks and I am going to show him around our labs and offices, you should give me some good questions to ask. Maybe I'll try the one minute silence test, see what happens. What the funniest reaction you've had to that approach?
The bad ones always squirm around in their seat, start to sweat or start babbling on again about the question I asked them. The good ones sit in silence or ask if they completely answered the question. The question that always throws someone off is to ask them what are their strengths and immediately after they finish ask them what their weaknesses are. Most people babble on some bullshit, some sit in silence and never really answer the question. The best answer is always something like I am struggle with presentations but I am taking a class to work on that. You always want to answer the question because everyone has a weakness but you always want to follow it up with what you are doing to work on the weakness. It is hard to answer what a good question is, if you want one to put someone under pressure throw the strengths/weakness question at them. If you want good information about them, make them tell you about their current job what they do, what there boss would say about them. Also study the hell out of their resume, if they are straight out of college it will not tell you much, but if they have a working history it can tell you a ton about them. Ask them why they left their job, look for holes in their work history, grill them about that stuff. If they have job hopped constantly there is a reason and I have no interest in them. It is different if they always move onto a better opportunity but that is rarely the case when someone has 4 jobs in 2 years. I have always found it to be true that will you actually make up your mind in the first 30 seconds on whether you are interested in hiring someone or not. If someone does not give me a firm handshake and look me in the eyes I am immediately turned off. Eye contact when they are answering the questions is crucial too, stare that fucker down like you know he is telling you a load of shit. Watch their eyes if they are shifty they are feeding you a load of shit or they will be the weak link in the chain when you need them to come through in a tough situation. Those of course are generalizations, but I find them all to be true. I have rarely been wrong about a person that I have interviewed and have been overuled before by my boss and more times than not the person that I had a bad feeling about turned out to be a complete loser that you could not count on.
kevron6
Gonzo Journalist

Post by kevron6 »

7th_son wrote:I have never even seen an opened canned of spam but I am gonna try that shit out next week. If it works, we'll be able to afford all of the tri-colors we could ever dream of! :twisted:

I really did not answer your question about the funniest reaction I have received. Probably the funniest was an overweight man who started sweating buckets, seriously he had it pouring off of him, soaking through his shirt. He actually asked to go to the bathroom right in the middle of the interview. I have also had people ask me if they said something wrong in a really desperate way. It is actually kind of sad when this happens but at the same time I do not want them working for me if they cannot handle themselves in an interview.