Whiteswirl exlclusive poster who is interested?

Whatever's on your mind, spill it here
higherlimits
Little People

Re: Official Whiteswirl poster who is interested?

Post by higherlimits »

The thing with a swirl is that our site is related to the white stripes and with no white swirl logo or namecon it we would essentially makeing and selling a fake stripes poster. The one I saw today is fine and looks good, had no URL and meets all of our criteria. I'm not sure what the problem is
LaurieAK
Little Acorn

Post by LaurieAK »

Maybe the 'swirl' could go concentrically, like a spiral? Less WS-esque but still a Swirl...
3quid
Little Acorn

Post by 3quid »

Just my $0.02.

I think the two images that trickster posted look awesome. The black looks really good, but I think the white vinyl version would be great if we could get some of that pink tint added to it like someone else had mentioned. The peppermint swirl in the middle looks great and although that particular swirl image may be copyrighted, I don't see anything wrong with putting a generic swirl image in the center. I don't think you can copyright a generic image. If that were the case, there wouldn't be 10,000 Obama posters out there. I don't think that putting Jack's quote on the poster is necessary because the original image does such a great job of visually showing that. I think if this is going to be a whiteswilr.com commissioned poster, it should have that written on it somewhere (like in the bottom corner)....maybe something like "Poster by ????? ?????? for www.whiteswirl.com"

Again, I'm just throwing a few things out there to discuss, so if you have any feedback, let it be heard.
kevron6
Gonzo Journalist

Post by kevron6 »

I am cool with it being a Whiteswirl exclusive the URL is not neccessary nor does it sound like anyone really wants it on the print. I have an image the artist came up with that I will post it is a compromise between the peppermint but still maintains our own style swirl. Let me know what you guys and girls think. The edition is going to be very small of course because there are not that many members and who knows how many will be interested. Prints will be 30 dollars shipped first class in the U.S. and international. They will come in a thick yazoo mills tube and will be packed with care by me. We might consider doing some variants or something in the future depending on interest but we have to start somewhere. The floor is open to comments, criticism or anything else you want to ramble on about.

Here is the design, obviously on white paper and once again obviously the Felix watermark placed in the image will not be on the poster. I like the design it is clean and like 3quid said the image is self explanatory.

I always said, if I had to fuck a guy... I mean had to, if my life depended on it... I'd fuck Elvis.
LaurieAK
Little Acorn

Post by LaurieAK »

Another centavo or two....I'm not sold on making a white record 'pinkish.' If the red is Rob Jones Red, the pink would clash and maybe even look like a mistake.
Look forward to more ideas and pics!
kevron6
Gonzo Journalist

Post by kevron6 »

kevron6 wrote:I am cool with it being a Whiteswirl exclusive the URL is not neccessary nor does it sound like anyone really wants it on the print. I have an image the artist came up with that I will post it is a compromise between the peppermint but still maintains our own style swirl. Let me know what you guys and girls think. The edition is going to be very small of course because there are not that many members and who knows how many will be interested. Prints will be 18x24, signed/numbered, priced at 30 dollars shipped first class in the U.S. and international. They will come in a thick yazoo mills tube and will be packed with care by me. We might consider doing some variants or something in the future depending on interest but we have to start somewhere. The floor is open to comments, criticism or anything else you want to ramble on about.

Here is the design, obviously on white paper and once again obviously the Felix watermark placed in the image will not be on the poster. I like the design it is clean and like 3quid said the image is self explanatory.

bump
I always said, if I had to fuck a guy... I mean had to, if my life depended on it... I'd fuck Elvis.
higherlimits
Little People

Re: Whiteswirl exlclusive poster who is interested?

Post by higherlimits »

I like it! I still want the red matched against a Stripes poster or something though, it still looks a bit "orangy" to me. Perhaps we could ask rob what the shade is. also, the swirl in the label is a bit off but that'll be fixed, this is just a rough draft I believe.
kevron6
Gonzo Journalist

Post by kevron6 »

I Think you ate seeng some of the watermark in the red. It is hard to say what red is used in a stripes poster it varies from poster to poster. The swirl is a little off but I thnk it actually works well plus you need to leave room for the hole in the middle of the record. This is just a JPEG I am sure the real poster would pop even more.
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

3quid wrote:I don't think that putting Jack's quote on the poster is necessary because the original image does such a great job of visually showing that.
I agree that the slogan can go, it's too lame, but the reason I suggested it is because I find that the image actually portrays just ths opposite - that music is being lost to the digital era - while this site promotes the physical aspect of music and conserving that, be it records or posters etc. Just wanted to point out my thought process.
3quid
Little Acorn

Post by 3quid »

Or maybe we could a half red/half white record like the sub pop single. I might like to see the swirl on the record centered more. It looks good the way it is, but the dot (for the hole) makes it look a little funny. If it were centered, it may hide that more.
LaurieAK
Little Acorn

Post by LaurieAK »

Was my "spiral" suggestions rejected?
I don't hate the latest off-center version, but am curious to see what a red & white spriral would look like. I am just one voice.

Is the white background white because it is an example or is it in lieu of the red?
I really like the red background examples.

And getting that true red (Rob Jones) seems critical to get it right. Right?
trickster
Greek Mod

Post by trickster »

LaurieAK wrote: And getting that true red (Rob Jones) seems critical to get it right. Right?
I am away from home and as I said is Monsay the day I am returning
I will post quick thoughts from time to time until then

The RJ red is something that would make this poster more desirable
(well at least for me)

Something else I want to mention is that we have a lot to discuss cause
there seem to be quite a few opinions for that case.
I believe that we are not in a hurry and we can take or time
as long as the topic/interest stays alive
No need to rush in a decision imo
Please check my TMR pin/button ISO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11426
Tonic&Gin
Little Acorn

Post by Tonic&Gin »

trickster wrote:
LaurieAK wrote: The RJ red is something that would make this poster more desirable
(well at least for me)
Well it would be the specific red Rob get the printing company to do. Wouldn't it?

If the poster on the website hadn't been sold out, I would have bought that one. But as it is sold I would be very interested in this one. I like the negative space that dot creates. I like the record black and the background white.

I love it actually
kevron6
Gonzo Journalist

Post by kevron6 »

7th_son wrote:
3quid wrote:I don't think that putting Jack's quote on the poster is necessary because the original image does such a great job of visually showing that.
I agree that the slogan can go, it's too lame, but the reason I suggested it is because I find that the image actually portrays just ths opposite - that music is being lost to the digital era - while this site promotes the physical aspect of music and conserving that, be it records or posters etc. Just wanted to point out my thought process.

Yes I think the print actally shows the opposite of what the website is trying to do in terms of preservation. It would be cool in another design to somehow show red 3's going towards the record to reform the record but then again I not sure how you would do that. The only idea I had is that maybe you show 3's coming in from all sides of the record clustering together to reform the record. If that makes any sense at all. That is for another design, it would look cool as a diptych though frame in conjuction with the current design.u
kevron6
Gonzo Journalist

Post by kevron6 »

LaurieAK wrote:Was my "spiral" suggestions rejected?
I don't hate the latest off-center version, but am curious to see what a red & white spriral would look like. I am just one voice.

Is the white background white because it is an example or is it in lieu of the red?
I really like the red background examples.

And getting that true red (Rob Jones) seems critical to get it right. Right?

Laurie no ones design was rejected we had the artist play with several different designs. I think a spiral might get you to close back to a peppermint which we have been asked not to do. As far as the red version a second version is entirely possible with a red background but we thought the white looked really clean and the negative space it provide in the image really works. We are open to all suggestions but would like to get a small editin of the white printed up and then possibly look at other colorways based on interest.