Neil Young Rumor

Your Turntable's Not Dead
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Re: Neil Young Rumor

Post by Kali Durga »

Hans_ka wrote:Its like two overenthusiastic teenagers. They got so excited they didn't make it to the studio.
I can understand Neil Young fans being disappointed by this news, but that image ^^ just made me smile so big. I love that they get so excited and geeky about their toys.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Kali Durga wrote:
Hans_ka wrote:Its like two overenthusiastic teenagers. They got so excited they didn't make it to the studio.
I can understand Neil Young fans being disappointed by this news, but that image ^^ just made me smile so big. I love that they get so excited and geeky about their toys.

I think there has got to be something up their sleeve that they worked on together.

On top of this new release and the Willie Nelson LP they did for the vault and the CMT special, they have also worked on the documentary for Neil's Lincvolt car together. I think we can expect a few things from them music wise this year. Damn I would pay a lot to see Neil live at TMR.
oojavaguru
Little Cream Soda

Post by oojavaguru »

From Consequence of Sound today:

Earlier this month, Jack White revealed that he is “producing two albums this month, and finishing them,” adding that “one of them is mine.” Could the other be a covers project with Neil Young?

According to veteran music journalist Michael Goldberg, White and Young have recorded an entire album together, which will be released through White’s Third Man Records, and possibly Warner Bros. Records, which is Young’s current label.

Incidentally, rumors of the album were first mentioned over a month ago on the Neil Young fan site Thrashers Wheat, but seemingly fell under the radar as they came amidst the holiday season. The initial posting from Thrasher Wheat reported that the album would include covers of 12 songs by other renowned singer-songwriters, and no Neil Young originals.

Undoubtedly adding fuel to the fire, Young was in Nashville earlier this spring and recorded a cover of Bert Jansch’s “Needle of Death” at the Third Man Recording Booth during Record Store Day 2013.

According to Goldberg’s report, the tracklist could also include covers of Bob Dylan’s “Blowin’ in the Wind”, Gordon Lightfoot’s “Early Morning Rain”, Ivory Joe Hunter’s “Since I Met You Baby”, Phil Ochs’ “Changes”, and Tim Hardin’s “Reason To Believe”. Young has performed most of these covers at recent concerts, including his Farm Aid set over the summer and his run of shows at New York’s Carnegie Hall.

A publicist for Young offered no comment.

From the post on Thrashers Wheat:

Confirmation that Neil's next album was recorded in Jack White's record booth.

It should be out sometime in the new year. I don't know its release details but would be surprised if it's only available via Third Man. But this is Neil, so who knows. I anticipate this will be a very big seller. It is an album of covers. In it, as anticipated, he pays tribute to other renowned singer-songwriters. There are 12 tracks on it. There are no Neil Young originals, but...each side starts with an introduction (part 1, part 2) of the same title. That could be a Neil Young original although I have another theory on what these might be... A couple of the songs chosen will astonish you. Sorry for the secrecy but more on this might leak soon...

Ralf speculates:
I guess the regular Album will be released by Warner/Reprise but Jack Whites "Third Man" label will release exclusive a special edition of twelve 6" vinyl 111 seconds copies which were cut directly in the booth. This wouldn't affect Neil's contract with Warner. Perhaps it will also be the start of Neil's PONO system
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Awesome stuff ! Can't believe my two favorite musicians are recording together !
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

Alabama Woody wrote:Awesome stuff ! Can't believe my two favorite musicians are recording together !
Truly hoping this is at least half as magical as it sounds on paper. But please, gods above AND below, don't let the "special edition" have ANYTHING to do with being pressed in that booth or similarly shitty-sounding machinery. PLEASE.
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

woodisgood wrote:
Alabama Woody wrote:Awesome stuff ! Can't believe my two favorite musicians are recording together !
Truly hoping this is at least half as magical as it sounds on paper. But please, gods above AND below, don't let the "special edition" have ANYTHING to do with being pressed in that booth or similarly shitty-sounding machinery. PLEASE.
I agree with both of these comments above. Wow. Can't wait to get my hands on them
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

woodisgood wrote:
+ 100
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

Your next record's coming out in March?
Yeah, it's one of the lowest-tech experiences I've ever had.

How come?
You'll hear it. It's called A Letter Home.
- Rolling Stone

Looks like the TMR album is called 'A Letter Home' and is coming in March.
mbowers
Little Cream Soda

Post by mbowers »

Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

One of their most cryptic announcements yet.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

Just sayin': if the audio is record-booth quality, then this surely qualifies as one of the most depressing TMR anouncements ever.

If it's higher quality, I'll be ready to buy.

FYI: from Neil himself: "False Rumours: Neil Young and Jack White are not doing a record of duets as has been erroneously posted on various outlets. We are certain those rumours have no basis in truth."
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

SLIGHTLY more info just posted on twitter by TMR:

An unheard collection of rediscovered songs from the past recorded on ancient electro-mechanical technology... @NeilYoung's A LETTER HOME.

https://twitter.com/thirdmanrecords/sta ... 2401676288
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

JonnyH wrote:SLIGHTLY more info just posted on twitter by TMR:

An unheard collection of rediscovered songs from the past recorded on ancient electro-mechanical technology... @NeilYoung's A LETTER HOME.

https://twitter.com/thirdmanrecords/sta ... 2401676288
Actually, there's slightly even more info posted here--
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

With a title like "A Letter Home" and their fancy wording "recorded on ancient electro-mechanical technology", I can't imagine it wasn't recorded in the booth.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

Little bread crumbs here and there.
I was also curious about the source cited in the tweet and news update.

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville ... etter-home
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”