Currently Putting Together a Collectors' Spreadsheet

Your Turntable's Not Dead
ChrisClamp
Little Bird

Currently Putting Together a Collectors' Spreadsheet

Post by ChrisClamp »

Realised that sometimes I forget what I even own so I thought it would be useful for me to make a spreadsheet.

I'm currently up to TMR074 (it's gonna be a long ride), and details the different vinyl releases for each release, whether I own it, which version(s) I own etc.

Also have green/blue squares next to those that are in those respective series. Will probably put a red square next to Vault releases (with the vault number inside the red square), and some other colour against the Live records.

But yeah, I'll probably upload it here once I'm finished so if there's anything anyone wants me to add to it post in this topic!

Here's a screenshot of how it looks:

EDIT:Completed, here's the link: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwjsFpd ... sp=sharing
Last edited by ChrisClamp on Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ChrisClamp
Little Bird

Re: Currently Putting Together a Collectors' Spreadsheet

Post by ChrisClamp »

Finished it now.

Where's the best place to host Excel sheets? I've stuck it on my Google Drive for now:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwjsFpd ... sp=sharing

If you have any issues let me know. I've only edited TMR001 so people know how I'll personally be using it.
achouza
Little Ghost

Post by achouza »

What about discogs? I Just keep track of my records on there
<<<< Ahuevooo! >>>>
ChrisClamp
Little Bird

Post by ChrisClamp »

achouza wrote:What about discogs? I Just keep track of my records on there

I've never really used Discogs myself. TMR records are the only thing I 'collect,' I mean I listen to a lot of my music on vinyl but I don't see the rest as a 'collection,' so I wanted a place just to keep track of these that I can print off/take to stores/e-mail to my local store/have on my phone etc. A

It was more of a personal project but I saw this place existed so posted it here to see if anyone else would benefit from it.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Or you could do the same basic thing on this very site:
http://whiteswirl.com/
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
rival
Little Ghost

Post by rival »

Stl_ben wrote:Or you could do the same basic thing on this very site:
To what extent do people use the database? I remember over a year ago I went through the database as randomly added stuff I had into "My collection." I haven't updated it since.

Just wondering if others still maintain their collections and if they prefer using the swirl over other means, like discogs or a spreadsheet.
Hey, it's just a fucking record. Chill.
Getbacktogether
Little Acorn

Post by Getbacktogether »

I was getting ready to say the same thing lol. The spread sheet idea is nice for a non computer base tracking of TMR items. But i found it to be a little confusing i guess lol. not knocking it at all or the idea but i think it needs to be more basic. on the TMR General discussion there is a topic with a list of all recordings to date. i printed that off and highlighted what i had and wrote in if i had the varient or not. much easier i feel.

http://www.whiteswirl.com/forum/viewtop ... &start=195
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

rival wrote:
To what extent do people use the database? I remember over a year ago I went through the database as randomly added stuff I had into "My collection." I haven't updated it since.

Just wondering if others still maintain their collections and if they prefer using the swirl over other means, like discogs or a spreadsheet.
I use Discogs but that's because only a small fraction of my records are TMR related. But for this guy in particular since he only "collects" TMR the site could work great.
It does appear that people are at least occasionally adding things to the swirl database.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
Getbacktogether
Little Acorn

I do use the one on here. Just because i guess. But i do what i said in my post above. I don't use discogs yet. Only recently have i got into tracking what i have. For the most part over the years its been buy records and listen to them and build up my collection. I think im going to start using discogs soon tho.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Can you export your collection list from the WS database? That would be the biggest drawback I see of using WS instead of a spreadsheet. I can carry a spreadsheet around with me on my phone for easy reference without having to find a signal and accessing WS to check the holes in my collection.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
rival
Little Ghost

Post by rival »

rsimms3 wrote:Can you export your collection list from the WS database? That would be the biggest drawback I see of using WS instead of a spreadsheet. I can carry a spreadsheet around with me on my phone for easy reference without having to find a signal and accessing WS to check the holes in my collection.
I do know you can export your stuff on DIscogs.
Hey, it's just a fucking record. Chill.
AJ123
Little Ghost

Post by AJ123 »

I use discogs because of the ability to track an put a value on my collection. It's nice to see how much it's worth based on recent sales.
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

I've taken a picture of each and every item and uploaded it to Flickr with a brief description. Not so much for my own benefit, although it does help, but more so that I can cut down on the number of calls I get from friends browsing record shops wondering if I own X, Y or Z record. It's easier for people outside of the TMR loop to check against photos than a multi-page list of variants.
ChrisClamp
Little Bird

Post by ChrisClamp »

AJ123 wrote:I use discogs because of the ability to track an put a value on my collection. It's nice to see how much it's worth based on recent sales.

I didn't realise Discogs had this facility. I usually just pump stuff into Popsike if I want to know what it's worth. Might actually get on Discogs as well then, would love to know what my collection is worth as a whole.
Getbacktogether
Little Acorn

ChrisClamp wrote:
AJ123 wrote:I use discogs because of the ability to track an put a value on my collection. It's nice to see how much it's worth based on recent sales.

I didn't realise Discogs had this facility. I usually just pump stuff into Popsike if I want to know what it's worth. Might actually get on Discogs as well then, would love to know what my collection is worth as a whole.
I just got a discog and have been adding to it like crazy. But i don't think there's a feature to add up your current collection as to what each record is going for at the moment. I think the only way is to click on each one individually and see what the current value is then add them all up yourself. I may be wrong because im new to it. Maybe some one else could let us know for sure.