Vinyl rip sharing thread?

Your Turntable's Not Dead
Jamie
Little Ghost

Vinyl rip sharing thread?

Post by Jamie »

I don't know if the mods will allow this, but as far as I'm aware it should be ok. If anyone's tried to rip records, you know that it's a very time-heavy process that involves recording, playback, editing, playback again, splitting, converting, naming etc. I'm trying to digitise my whole collection for my own personal use, but it's taking bloody ages and I just don't have the time to keep up. I thought, if other people are in the same boat, it would make sense to pool our efforts and share the rips.

Now, owning and sharing a digital rip of a record you own is perfectly fine and legal, so this shouldn't be a problem. However you then run the risk of people wanting rips of records they do not own, which is piracy and bad and evil etc. So to control that, I propose the following:

If you own a record that you want a digital copy of but are unable to do so for yourself for whatever reason (time, lack of equipment, sealed copy etc) take a photo of the record with a piece of paper on top showing your username and date. If someone has that record already ripped or is willing to do it for you, they can then upload it and send it to you in a PM. Don't abuse it by asking people to send you things like the Triple Decker tracks or records you're too cheap to buy, it's only legal if you own the physical record and it's for your own personal use.

If people are on board and the mods are ok with it then hopefully people will get the ball rolling.
jrfhoutx
Flipper

Re: Vinyl rip sharing thread?

Post by jrfhoutx »

Jamie wrote:I don't know if the mods will allow this, but as far as I'm aware it should be ok. If anyone's tried to rip records, you know that it's a very time-heavy process that involves recording, playback, editing, playback again, splitting, converting, naming etc. I'm trying to digitise my whole collection for my own personal use, but it's taking bloody ages and I just don't have the time to keep up. I thought, if other people are in the same boat, it would make sense to pool our efforts and share the rips.

Now, owning and sharing a digital rip of a record you own is perfectly fine and legal, so this shouldn't be a problem. However you then run the risk of people wanting rips of records they do not own, which is piracy and bad and evil etc. So to control that, I propose the following:

If you own a record that you want a digital copy of but are unable to do so for yourself for whatever reason (time, lack of equipment, sealed copy etc) take a photo of the record with a piece of paper on top showing your username and date. If someone has that record already ripped or is willing to do it for you, they can then upload it and send it to you in a PM. Don't abuse it by asking people to send you things like the Triple Decker tracks or records you're too cheap to buy, it's only legal if you own the physical record and it's for your own personal use.

If people are on board and the mods are ok with it then hopefully people will get the ball rolling.
It is highly frowned upon and still illegal even if both parties own a copy of the vinyl (it's the same case as with CDs, owning it does not entitle you to download a rip). Trust me, people will request them from you, but as I did, you will catch hell for it... this is how I acquired the 'Douchebag Thief' title in my sig (yes, I put it there, but it was the basic sentiment after I tried to share a rip with all the people who bought the Blackfoot Gypsies album, it even went so far as for someone here to send an excerpt of the thread to the band and the band posted it on facebook...)
"They were a garage band on Sympathy?! Who knew?" -- EVM
ISO/FS/FT
FLANAGAN, YARRGH!!!
Douchebag Thief
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

I beg to differ on the legality front. If you own it, you're allowed to make copies for yourself for personal use. If you're unable to make copies, you are allowed to download it, again for your own personal use. It's a very common thing for old video games and emulators, if you own the cartridge you're allowed to emulate it legally to preserve your original. Offering it for download is illegal though.

All it is really is a time saver. Rather than three different people sitting at home spending an entire evening ripping three records, have those three people rip one each and share the task.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Jamie wrote:I beg to differ on the legality front. If you own it, you're allowed to make copies for yourself for personal use. If you're unable to make copies, you are allowed to download it, again for your own personal use. It's a very common thing for old video games and emulators, if you own the cartridge you're allowed to emulate it legally to preserve your original. Offering it for download is illegal though.

All it is really is a time saver. Rather than three different people sitting at home spending an entire evening ripping three records, have those three people rip one each and share the task.
you said it yourself. That's what the thread would be doing..
jrfhoutx
Flipper

Post by jrfhoutx »

Jamie wrote:I beg to differ on the legality front. If you own it, you're allowed to make copies for yourself for personal use. If you're unable to make copies, you are allowed to download it, again for your own personal use. It's a very common thing for old video games and emulators, if you own the cartridge you're allowed to emulate it legally to preserve your original. Offering it for download is illegal though.

If you live in a country other than the US, I have no idea what the laws there say, but after multiple legal entanglements over copyright infringement, I can say, you are allowed to make a copy if you own it, but you must make the copy, not being able to make the copy does not entitle you to download a copy even if you own a physical copy, for any use, personal or otherwise. even with old games and emulators, common or not, owning a physical copy does not entitle you to download a copy unless the copyright for the game (or any other work) has expired, is in public domain, or you have express permission from the copyright holder (ROMs are copies of the cart info, the emulator does nothing more than emulate the console that the game was played on; legally, you still need to make a ROM from the cart you own and not download it).

and
Jamie wrote:If you own it, you're allowed to make copies for yourself for personal use. If you're unable to make copies, you are allowed to download it, again for your own personal use.
what you are proposing however is not to share them because you are unable to rip them yourself, or are incapable, its because you don't care to put the time into doing it all yourself... that technically puts it out of the realm of acceptability under that interpretation of the law. You are capable, you just don't care to... ROMs I can understand (and usually it's the otherway around), most people would do it in a NY minute, but most don't have the gear to do it...
ISO/FS/FT
FLANAGAN, YARRGH!!!
Douchebag Thief
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

arewhyehen wrote:you said it yourself. That's what the thread would be doing..
Not true, there's a difference between emailing someone a file and posting a download link on a forum, in the same way that there's a difference between lending someone a CD and handing out copies of the album on CDR on a street corner.
greginchains
Little Ghost

Post by greginchains »

You can try to spin it all you want , but it's not gonna fly here. PM's have been known to gain results, but photos of what you have to offer as downloads still won't be acceptable pretty much anywhere that transparent as to the intent. It is what it is.
I only wanted to be good enough, but I'm not.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Ya, I am not saying I am for it or against it or whether I agree with it or not, it's just how it is.
nrssab
Little Acorn

Post by nrssab »

To the heck with it all. I'm not capable of digitalizing any of my records and I'd really like to have some of the Vault releases in digital format to listen to when I'm not at home. So if the mods allow it and people are up to it, I would be happy to send photos of my records and receive a download via PM.
"If you can hear a piano fall, you can hear me coming down the hall".
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

It is very much illegal..
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

If companies like Third Man would just put a stupid download card in the sleeve, no one would have to go looking, their fans would be able to enjoy their music in all of the formats they themselves pimp, and heck they might even generate more fans. That said, at the same time I get why they do it the way they do.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

7th_son wrote:If companies like Third Man would just put a stupid download card in the sleeve, no one would have to go looking, their fans would be able to enjoy their music in all of the formats they themselves pimp, and heck they might even generate more fans. That said, at the same time I get why they do it the way they do.
I agree. It bothers me that if I buy a single like the ones they have been putting out for Jack with an unreleased B side, I need to go somewhere like itunes to buy it AGAIN if I want it on my ipod to listen to in the car or whatever.
thirdtesla
Little Cream Soda

Post by thirdtesla »

I was reading this and have a question that kind of goes along with this... I recently tried to rip my copy of 'Jack White Live at Third Man' and the rip was of very poor quality(sound extremely low and digital noise) on both my Third Man Turntable, a friend's turntable, and a device that has a HDD that allows straight to Hard Drive ripping and they ALL came out the same... Could this contain an ANTI ripping attachment(not sure how to word it)? I'm not sure how they would do it, but I'm sure it's possible... As for piracy, I think the industry ha pretty much grown to accept the fact musicians wont get rich on Album sales and must rely on touring and ticket sales for dough... That is part of the reason some shows have $300 face value ticket prices... It doesn't make piracy anymore right... BUT if you own something, you can do what you wish with it as long as you DO NOT make a profit from it's use... If you ARE going to make a profit, royalties should be paid(like me paying Jack's publishing company to release a cover of a WS as a B side... It was like $50 per 1000 copies pressed...)
My Friends are all Dying and Death can't Be Lying... It's the Truth, and It Don't Make A Noise-'White Moon', THE White Stripes
jrfhoutx
Flipper

Post by jrfhoutx »

thirdtesla wrote:I was reading this and have a question that kind of goes along with this... I recently tried to rip my copy of 'Jack White Live at Third Man' and the rip was of very poor quality(sound extremely low and digital noise) on both my Third Man Turntable, a friend's turntable, and a device that has a HDD that allows straight to Hard Drive ripping and they ALL came out the same... Could this contain an ANTI ripping attachment(not sure how to word it)? I'm not sure how they would do it, but I'm sure it's possible...
No, there's no anti-ripping measures on that LP, that's not even possible with vinyl. If you're not getting a good rip then either check your settings (hardware and software), or upgrade your equipment. I've ripped every Vault pack since #9 and the only time I've had issues, they were all related to improper settings (wrong bitrate, wrong sample rate, wrong input levels, wrong channel balance, etc.), or poor quality equipment (worn stylus, crappy cables, crappy sound card, etc). There is a lot of room for error in ripping vinyl, and lots of places unwanted noise can be introduced (on the first few LP rips I made, you can hear my dog barking at my neighbors the stylus and cantilever picked up the barking and transferred it to the recording, I didn't even notice until I had listened to it a few times). Sometimes nothing is affected, and sometimes it is just plain ruined...

Not sure what the direct to HDD device is (got a name and model number?), but I will say that that Third Man table is most likely not going to produce the greatest sounding rip.

Does the Swirl have a ripping tutorial? If not might we benefit from having one and a help/questions companion thread for it? I would gladly put together a detailed tutorial for it and gladly give help and advice to any and all who want it...
ISO/FS/FT
FLANAGAN, YARRGH!!!
Douchebag Thief
bkramer10
Little Ghost

Post by bkramer10 »

jrfhoutx wrote:
thirdtesla wrote:I was reading this and have a question that kind of goes along with this... I recently tried to rip my copy of 'Jack White Live at Third Man' and the rip was of very poor quality(sound extremely low and digital noise) on both my Third Man Turntable, a friend's turntable, and a device that has a HDD that allows straight to Hard Drive ripping and they ALL came out the same... Could this contain an ANTI ripping attachment(not sure how to word it)? I'm not sure how they would do it, but I'm sure it's possible...

Does the Swirl have a ripping tutorial? If not might we benefit from having one and a help/questions companion thread for it? I would gladly put together a detailed tutorial for it and gladly give help and advice to any and all who want it...
You did one last year around this time. I'll edit with the link to the post when I find it later