Light and Sound Machine

Your Turntable's Not Dead
sandmaniac3
Little Acorn

Light and Sound Machine

Post by sandmaniac3 »

THIRD MAN RECORDS AND BELCOURT THEATRE TEAM UP TO PRESENT NEW FILM SERIES

Two of Nashville’s Most Beloved Institutions Join Forces to Offer Cutting-Edge Mix of New and Repertory Cinema

As the perpetually evolving landscape of media production and distribution continues to offer new opportunities for creator and consumer alike, certain aspects of how we experience and appreciate art tend to fall by the wayside. Among the most glaring examples is the notion of cinema as a communal phenomenon - of the theater as a public meeting space to indulge in acts of group-fantasy. As the market for new productions - large and small - becomes increasingly oriented to an era of digital distribution and on-demand home viewing, we lose the richness of discourse associated with sharing an emotional experience with strangers in a darkened room. The collective gasp at a third-act twist; embracing your date in a moment of fright; the heated post-film debate in the theater lobby - these are the sort of exchanges that risk endangered-status as the archetypical cinematic venue moves from the screening room to the living room.

It is with this in mind that Third Man Records has partnered with the Southeast’s flagship arthouse cinema, The Belcourt Theatre, to announce THE LIGHT AND SOUND MACHINE, a monthly film series to take place on the third Thursday of each month at Third Man’s performance space in downtown Nashville. Screenings are curated and hosted by filmmaker and critic James Cathcart, whose goal is to provide a venue for marginalized cinema, past and present, unlike any other in our city. Focusing on micro-budget productions by emerging directors, groundbreaking experimental film from all eras, and rarely screened repertory classics, each program promises a trove of curiosities for the adventurous film-goer. Presented digitally and on 16mm, the initial season’s eclectic offerings range from Dan Sallitt’s controversial yet tender 2012 feature THE UNSPEAKABLE ACT, to Kidlat Tahimik’s transcultural meditation PERFUMED NIGHTMARE (1977.)

The Light And Sound Machine’s inaugural exhibition will take place February 21st at 7pm, and will feature the bleak anti-comedy BAD FEVER (Dustin Guy Defa, 2012), preceded by the Safdie Bros.’ THE BLACK BALLOON (2012), an acerbic re-imagining of Albert Lamorisse’s classic LE BALLON ROUGE. Both the director, Dustin Guy Defa, and lead actor, Kentucker Audley, of Bad Fever will be in attendance. More film info can be found here.

Though programming space is very limited, feature and short film submissions are welcome. Contact: cathcart@thirdmanrecords.com for additional information.

Tickets available for Belcourt members at a discount for $8 via the Belcourt site, non members please purchase via Third Man HERE.
Has everything you said today been true?
sandmaniac3
Little Acorn

Re: Light and Sound Machine

Post by sandmaniac3 »

It figures it would be the day before I get to town. :( But still a great way to use that space when they aren't doing shows. Flip side to that is they need to start doing more shows though.
Has everything you said today been true?
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Today's the launch, and Nashville Scene's got a bit more background info about it-- http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville ... id=3287234
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

New Show May 16th:
The Light & Sound Machine presents

NAM JUNE PAIK - I Make Technology Ridiculous

Three broadcasts from the edge of televisual oblivion:
EDITED FOR TELEVISION (1975)
SUITE 212 (1975-1977)
GUADALCANAL REQUIEM (1977-1979)

May 16, 2013 - 7:00pm - at Third Man Records
$10 / $8 for Belcourt Theatre members
(member tickets must be purchased in advance via The Belcourt box office and website)

Advance Tickets available via:
www.ThirdManRecords.com
www.Belcourt.org

The Light & Sound Machine is a monthly microcinema
co-sponsored by Third Man Records and The Belcourt Theatre
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

Is anyone out there excited for their newest feature?
Of the releases thus far this is the first I'm genuinely interested in seeing.
The Light & Sound Machine presents a rare 16mm screening of Glauber Rocha's ANTONIO DAS MORTES (aka O Dragão da Maldade Contra o Santo Guerreiro.) A staple of Brazil's Cinema Novo movement, this psychedelic interpretation of Leone-styled Spaghetti Westerns is a violent carnival of bursting colors and music (provided by Marlos Nobre and the Folk Group of Minas), as well as a tribute to the enduring class struggles of Latin America.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Next film at TMR is Seventeen on November 21st.

http://www.belcourt.org/events/the-ligh ... een.692902
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Has anyone gone to see any of these films? They're selecting really interesting stuff, it would be great to get reviews from folks who've seen any of them.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
scoliosispony
Little Acorn

Post by scoliosispony »

I just moved to Nashville last night and was planning on attending the screening of Valerie & Her Week of Wonders tonight. Anyone else going?
i won't let love disrupt, corrupt, or interrupt me anymore...

anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

scoliosispony wrote:I just moved to Nashville last night and was planning on attending the screening of Valerie & Her Week of Wonders tonight. Anyone else going?
Actually, this looked pretty nifty to me. Alas, I'm tied up. And in another state.

Congrats on your move, Ryan!
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
scoliosispony
Little Acorn

Post by scoliosispony »

anonymousbrunette wrote: Actually, this looked pretty nifty to me. Alas, I'm tied up. And in another state.

Congrats on your move, Ryan!
Thanks, Ara!
i won't let love disrupt, corrupt, or interrupt me anymore...