New Events and Building Upgrades

Your Turntable's Not Dead
love_islander
Little People

Re: New Events and Building Upgrades

Post by love_islander »

Time to visit today (FINALLY). It's like Christmas morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

love_islander wrote:Time to visit today (FINALLY). It's like Christmas morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have Fun !
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

Any news on the pressing plant?
Open for Black Friday Record Store Day?
I apologize if there's already a pressing plant thread.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

chaptertwentyone wrote:Any news on the pressing plant?
Open for Black Friday Record Store Day?
I apologize if there's already a pressing plant thread.
I wish. They're doing a pretty amazing job of keeping this mum.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Pressing plant video has been up for 3 hours and no posts....weak sauce.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

rsimms3 wrote:Pressing plant video has been up for 3 hours and no posts....weak sauce.
That's because you're in the wrong thread. http://www.whiteswirl.com/forum/viewtop ... 19&t=12291 Or at least a different thread.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

http://thirdmanstore.com/thevault/home/ ... ebruary-25

THIRD MAN PRESSING TO OPEN ITS DOORS, BEGIN MANUFACTURING FEBRUARY 25
Posted by Third Man
1.jpg
Third Man Records is proud to announce the official opening of its state-of-the-art vinyl production facility in the heart of Detroit’s historic Cass Corridor neighborhood on February 25th. The past year has been spent investing creative energy and passion into crafting a meticulously designed boutique vinyl record production facility with a unique customer experience, providing visual evidence to visitors of vinyl’s beauty and importance. Third Man Pressing is an investment in Third Man Records’ hometown, a neighborhood within a city both rich with musical history, creating a space that is as inspiring as it is prolific.

As the first label to operate a fleet of brand new, environmentally efficient pressing machinery within a purpose-built manufacturing infrastructure, Third Man Pressing minimizes water waste by using recycled water from the record curing process in the air conditioning system, thus creating the only fully climate-controlled pressing plant work environment in the world. Each pressing station is outfitted with a digital touch screen control for temperature, hydraulic compression, and extruder speed, equaling increased control for the highly trained staff as well as a superior product. The plant was engineered to not only be environmentally sustainable, but also community sensitive with its innovative noise reduction construction techniques.
2.jpg

Third Man Pressing Features:

Operating eight of the first newly built presses built in 35 years, plus four extruders, and four hydraulic generators — all brand new

Presses can accommodate 12” LP’s or 7” singles according to demand

Only fully climate-controlled pressing plant work environment in the world

All new, state-of-the-art pressing machinery and purpose-built manufacturing infrastructure

Closed-loop, chilled-water system that maximizes water sustainability

Environment design that inspires passion in record making, resulting in superior products

Four high-efficiency hydraulic systems isolated in a dedicated, contained room

Digital touch screen controls for temperature, hydraulic compression, and extrusion speed

Engineered sound containment for minimal external noise pollution

Built by audio and studio fabrication experts responsible for some of the most-lauded recording studios in the world

Capacity estimated at 5000 records per 8 hour shift, with a current cycle time of approximately 45 seconds per record

Competitive turnaround times

Mural by Cass Corridor artist Robert Sestok*

3.jpg

Third Man Pressing invites the public to join in the opening day festivities on February 25th. The Third Man Records Cass Corridor storefront will be buzzing with live music, new and exclusive merchandise (including a celebratory poster by Rob Jones), and, of course, the first commercially available records to be pressed in the plant. The limited edition releases available on opening day (in Detroit only) are as follows:

The White Stripes — The White Stripes
The Detroit duo’s first release (originally recorded in the Cass Corridor), pressed on red vinyl with on-site screen printed jackets

The White Stripes — De Stijl
The second album from The White Stripes, pressed on red vinyl with on-site screen printed jackets

The Black Hole LP
Destroy All Monsters / Xanadu split 12” on black vinyl. Both records were originally released in limited numbers on Black Hole Records in 1979, and this is the first reissue for any of the material from either band.

Detroit Gospel Reissue Project
Our first third-party pressing and the first of a seven-record series featuring incredibly vital and largely forgotten music from dozens of Detroit artists, reissued proudly by noted archivist Mike McGonigal. A subscriber version (with handmade silkscreened jackets) and regular version of JOHNSON FAMILY SINGERS Don't Let the Devil Ride

4.jpg
Perhaps a few additional surprises…

Third Man Pressing brings upwards of 50 new living wage jobs with benefits into Detroit (on top of the 20 jobs already created by the Willy’s building Third Man Records location at large), and, in complement with Shinola’s recent start of production of high-end turntables, marks the triumphant return of the once-thought-lost record industry to one of the country’s great industrial AND musical cities.

The manufacturing facility will not only press vinyl records for Third Man Records’ label releases (which will also continue to be produced at Nashville’s United Record Pressing), but will also fulfill orders from outside labels. The resurgence in popularity of vinyl records has left many small imprints, “bedroom” labels, and independent artists without the ability to press small runs of records in reasonable amounts of time. Third Man Pressing aims to dedicate a percentage of its capacity each month to pressing records for clients of this ilk, alleviating the bottlenecking of the production caused by major label orders, and bringing more niche, regionally-interesting pressings from inspired individuals onto record shelves worldwide.

The inner workings of Third Man Pressing will be on display during Third Man Records Cass Corridor business hours from the storefront’s open-to-the-public viewing platform 7 days a week, with employees always happy to answer questions about the process, and more in-depth tours available in the coming months for those interested. Third Man Records’ mission has always centered around bringing the tangible, the unexpected, and the beautiful back into the business, and the team is beyond thrilled to share the facility, its exceptional product, and its significance with the city it calls home.

5.jpg
*About Robert Sestok, b 1946

Robert Sestok is a Detroit artist who studied at the Detroit Society of Arts and Crafts from 1960-1965, known now as the College for Creative Studies. He now lives and works in Detroit's Cass Corridor and is strongly identified with the group of artists who made the neighborhood renowned and widely recognized as a result of the Kick Out the Jams: Detroit’s Cass Corridor 1963 - 1977, exhibition at the Detroit Institute of Arts in 1980.

One of Sestok’s first solo exhibits was held at the storied Willis Gallery (which he co-founded), only one block behind the current location of Third Man Records and Third Man Pressing. In 1972, Sestok was commissioned by Detroit manufacturer James F. Duffy Jr. to create a work of art to adorn a wall of his pipe fitting warehouse. That well-known mural (One by Two) inspired Third Man Records to commission the new 88’ x 14’ masterpiece as a backdrop for the Third Man Pressing facility.
6.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

So many kinds of cool there. That mural is awesome
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

love_islander wrote:So many kinds of cool there. That mural is awesome
Yeah, now I need to find a way to get off work and go down...
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Why the hell doesn't the pressing plant have a dedicated thread?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Damn it! I have tickets for Pete the Cat that day.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Kali Durga wrote:Why the hell doesn't the pressing plant have a dedicated thread?
Yeah, I looked everywhere for one before posting the info...

I will start one now...
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Kali Durga wrote:Why the hell doesn't the pressing plant have a dedicated thread?
Here ya go..

http://www.whiteswirl.com/forum/viewtop ... 69#p261669
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

I couldn't find a more accurate thread to ask in, so here will have to do.

A friend's mum is going to Cass for the plant opening. Is there anything left that's store exclusive and not sold online which I could ask them to pick up for me? I can only think of the colouring book and the coasters.
Datch
Little Acorn

Post by Datch »

Jamie wrote:I couldn't find a more accurate thread to ask in, so here will have to do.

A friend's mum is going to Cass for the plant opening. Is there anything left that's store exclusive and not sold online which I could ask them to pick up for me? I can only think of the colouring book and the coasters.
The new records of course, the wax RRS mold, some buttons and pins dunno which ones tho, ehm ..... maybe some t-shirt?
“More people know a fragment of his music than know his name.”