Third Man Records third anniversary party ( and contest)

Your Turntable's Not Dead
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Re: Third Man Records third anniversary party ( and contest)

Post by Stl_ben »

6 years ago now...what a night.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
curseofhalos

Post by curseofhalos »

Stl_ben wrote:6 years ago now...what a night.
That is was :thumbup:
runofthemill
Little Ghost

Post by runofthemill »

And I'm back here tonight.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Stl_ben wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:32 pm OK, well 5 hour drive home and 2 hours of sleep, let me recap what I can before I'm off to work....where to start?

Me and GDM go into the store a little before 5 just to see if TMR has anything out for the show, they let us know they just have the items from JW solo tour merch: pins, 3 t-shirts and a sticker. We spend our money, then hang out in the car for a bit. So doors are at 6 and TMR does the shocking, the let us in 5 minutes early...well not all the way in, but to the little ID check room. At that point the staff remind us that we can't take anything, no phones, coats, wallets...anything. So one by one they have us check our stuff and they put it into lovely little tote bags, made just for the party! They let us know we get the bag at the end of the night with a present in it (more on that later!) Once we are in the venue it's mainly us and staff for the 1st hour. However, the staff are all super and even answer a few questions. At one point Swank walks up and someone just asks whats going to be released for RSD, and he tells us! (It should be announced today so I won't spoil it.) Open bar, appetizers being served, free photo booth, and a guy is going around with polaroids taking pictures for everyone. From 6-7 we all mingle, thank you Swirlers for being more social than I have ever seen before. I met so many people I don't want to list your names because I know I will forget someone. We all hope that JW is the headliner, those words keep getting said, but no one wants their hopes to be too high. After a little while we go back to the door guy and ask if we can grab our wallets out of our bags so we can tip the bartenders, and the guys like sure and do you want to see what else is in the bag! Its an LP with every Blue Series release on it, you may ask how do you fit so many songs one LP...it spins at 3 RPM! The cover is amazing and TMR-143 is now one of my new prized possessions!
As it gets to be about 7:30 the rooms starts filling up as it gets closer to time for Hells Beach to play. Tonight though none of the room is roped off for VIP, its just a room full of awesome people. Amongst the crowd: The Black Belles, Jeff the Brotherhood, Little Jack, Allison, Karen, Jemma (BYOP), Jack's Mom and probably many more I didn't even notice. Swank introduces Hells Beach as the band that released his favorite LP of 2010. They put on a great 40 minute set.
As their instruments are removed from the stage JW female bands instruments are being set up! At this point we all get pretty giddy, but I try to keep my hopes low still thinking he will probably just quickly play through the new album...boy did I set my hopes low! Well he comes and goes right into Dead Leaves and from that point on we know it's going to be a great night. I try to write down the set list as set goes on, but I won't repeat it since it has now already been posted. So when the first real is done Jack talks about his mom being in town and that she brought him a gift, a Green Dish Towel... Allison and Karen are right next to us/the stage and getting into every song just as much as anyone else in the crowd which I found amazing. Allison goes to take a photo at one point and security stops her saying no photos, I chuckled. So jack plays this amazing set that is a mix of all the bands goes of stage, and as we are assuming there will be an encore one of the staffers comes up and tells us individually hey don't go anywhere Jack is just switching to the all guy band and will do another set!
At this point we are discussing how blown away already and we are and what could he possibly do to top it, my suggestion play Ball & Biscuit...and wow they played Ball & Biscuit! B&B was soooooo good with the full band and thought that would have to be the final song, but no right into Steady as She Goes. That could of also easily closed the show, but nope right into 7 Nation Army...These songs all sounded so fall and great with the band really rocking. The show ended and I thought things couldn't get any better. We stood by the stage for a few moments and CurseofHalos casually asked a stage hand if he could have a pick, he wanted to but wasn't sure if he was allowed to hand them out, but no sooner than he turned around another stage hand showered us with a hand full of them. The security then informed us it was time to call it a night if we didn't have badges. GDM and I decided we would poke our heads into the store for one last look before we left, GOOD CALL. They had a show print and a special sleeve for the Love Interupted! (They said the special LI sleeves should be available on tour).

Anyways sorry to ramble, but now I need to go to work. Thank you TMR and all the great people there for a wonderful night.
As we are about to get to the 10th anniversary....man this night 7 years ago was a blast.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

This still stings to this day I wasn't chosen. But at least we knew enough people who attended we could be there virtually through them.
runofthemill
Little Ghost

Post by runofthemill »

It'll be hard to top that night, but I'm sure we're in for a great time.