Loretta Lynn - Van Lear Rose (TMR vinyl release)

Your Turntable's Not Dead
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Re: Loretta Lynn - Van Lear Rose (TMR vinyl release)

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

Get well soon Loretty!!
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Anyone ever seen her live? She is playing the Ryman on my birthday. I will be in the area and I am contemplating getting some tickets...

Don't listen to any of her music or know any of her songs but the Ryman is on my bucketlist... Be a nice one to cross off on my birthday..haha
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

arewhyehen wrote:Anyone ever seen her live? She is playing the Ryman on my birthday. I will be in the area and I am contemplating getting some tickets...

Don't listen to any of her music or know any of her songs but the Ryman is on my bucketlist... Be a nice one to cross off on my birthday..haha
I've seen her twice. Once at the Executive Inn here in Owensboro around 2008 or so. I ran video for the screens that night, so I was on the job. But I was still taken by her performance. She's something special.

I didn't see her again until 2015 with Jack at the Bridgestone in Nashville. Again, that same feeling. There's something about her, draws you in. I'd say the Ryman would be the ideal spot to see her, she's so connected to the history of that building. I say go if you can.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

shaneoftheroad wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:Anyone ever seen her live? She is playing the Ryman on my birthday. I will be in the area and I am contemplating getting some tickets...

I've seen her twice. Once at the Executive Inn here in Owensboro around 2008 or so. I ran video for the screens that night, so I was on the job. But I was still taken by her performance. She's something special.

I didn't see her again until 2015 with Jack at the Bridgestone in Nashville. Again, that same feeling. There's something about her, draws you in. I'd say the Ryman would be the ideal spot to see her, she's so connected to the history of that building. I say go if you can.
Yeah, I am really leaning towards going. The Ryman has always been on my bucketlist for venues to see a show and what better than a country legend? ..and on my birthday. I literally just have never given her much of a listen, so I don't know many songs by her..

I guess I have three and a half weeks to brush up..
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

I've only seen her at that Bridgestone show, too, but given that both she and the Ryman are super-special, I'd say go. (I was planning to at one point until my bank account suggested otherwise.) Last year I went to see Gary Clark Jr. on my birthday because he was playing the Ryman, and that proved to be an excellent decision, so . . . (I'd seen him before, it was the combination of artist and venue that was really special.)
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

I've seen her twice. A fair portion of the show is taken up by songs sung by her son and twin daughters, but once Loretta comes out you can forget about them and she puts on a great show. If I was in Nashville I would definitely see her at the Ryman. Last time I saw her I think she had a cold, so the show was a little shorter, but I would still prefer 50 minutes of Loretta without her children. Hey if it keeps Loretta performing, I can live with it. She's a legend and I'm glad I got to see her.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

dunedin wrote:I've seen her twice. A fair portion of the show is taken up by songs sung by her son and twin daughters, but once Loretta comes out you can forget about them and she puts on a great show. If I was in Nashville I would definitely see her at the Ryman. Last time I saw her I think she had a cold, so the show was a little shorter, but I would still prefer 50 minutes of Loretta without her children. Hey if it keeps Loretta performing, I can live with it. She's a legend and I'm glad I got to see her.
That ^^ was my experience when I saw her at the 9:30 Club here in DC. Too much of her kids and the band, not enough Loretta. But what there was of Loretta was terrific. And how the hell on earth could you not go see her play at the Ryman, where she made history?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Aquamarine wrote:I've only seen her at that Bridgestone show, too, but given that both she and the Ryman are super-special, I'd say go. (I was planning to at one point until my bank account suggested otherwise.) Last year I went to see Gary Clark Jr. on my birthday because he was playing the Ryman, and that proved to be an excellent decision, so . . . (I'd seen him before, it was the combination of artist and venue that was really special.)
Ugh, I am so jealous of that. If GCJ were playing my birthday, it would be a no brainer. I saw him play Farm Aid 2014, the same year Jack played and GCJ completely stole the show that year. I have only seen him once since then, at a small bar in Germany. I actually hung out with him for about 20 minutes after the show and he asked me to go grab a beer with him. One of the most humble guys ever...and damn can he play the guitar.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

dunedin wrote:

I've seen her twice. A fair portion of the show is taken up by songs sung by her son and twin daughters, but once Loretta comes out you can forget about them and she puts on a great show. If I was in Nashville I would definitely see her at the Ryman. Last time I saw her I think she had a cold, so the show was a little shorter, but I would still prefer 50 minutes of Loretta without her children. Hey if it keeps Loretta performing, I can live with it. She's a legend and I'm glad I got to see her.
Thanks for the info. Appreciate it. I will have to look into them as well.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Kali Durga wrote:
dunedin wrote:I've seen her twice. A fair portion of the show is taken up by songs sung by her son and twin daughters, but once Loretta comes out you can forget about them and she puts on a great show. If I was in Nashville I would definitely see her at the Ryman. Last time I saw her I think she had a cold, so the show was a little shorter, but I would still prefer 50 minutes of Loretta without her children. Hey if it keeps Loretta performing, I can live with it. She's a legend and I'm glad I got to see her.
That ^^ was my experience when I saw her at the 9:30 Club here in DC. Too much of her kids and the band, not enough Loretta. But what there was of Loretta was terrific. And how the hell on earth could you not go see her play at the Ryman, where she made history?
How long was her set? 50 mins as well?

Yeah yeah..i get the whole history behind it all..haha I just needed a few of you to push me into it.. :lol:
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Well, my decision has been made. I just found out her birthday is April 14th....the same day as mine. So I am going to see her play on my 30th birthday and her 85th birthday.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

arewhyehen wrote:Well, my decision has been made. I just found out her birthday is April 14th....the same day as mine. So I am going to see her play on my 30th birthday and her 85th birthday.
Awesome. I'm considering grabbing a ticket from StubHub for that night. But I'm not sure, I've spent a LOT on tickets lately. If I pull the trigger I'll let ya' know and buy you a $10 beer.
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

The 50 minute show (and it was actually 55, the video is on Youtube) was at the Lincoln in DC in 2015. The theater AC was bothering Loretta and she cut some songs from the setlist. The show I saw at the 930 club in '08, she played for longer, but still too much from the younger Lynns.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

dunedin wrote:The 50 minute show (and it was actually 55, the video is on Youtube) was at the Lincoln in DC in 2015. The theater AC was bothering Loretta and she cut some songs from the setlist. The show I saw at the 930 club in '08, she played for longer, but still too much from the younger Lynns.
I was at the 2011 9:30 Club show. I don't remember how long it was, but this is the setlist that's been posted-- http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/loretta-l ... 053a0.html I remember it seeming like a lot more than two songs from her son and the band mid-way through, though. I passed on the 2015 show
because of that. She was so cute at that 2011 show, though, she said at one point that she asked Jack White where she should play in DC and he told her she had to play the 9:30 Club, and that next time she came there she was going to try to bring him with her. Probably a bit of pandering to the younger generation in the audience, but still endearing.

So we'll have to remember to wish a happy birthday to both you and Loretta on the 14, huh, Ryan? That's very cool.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

^ At the Lincoln someone yelled a request for "Portland, Oregon" and Loretta introduced Jack to sing it, then admitted he wasn't actually there. She tried it with one of the band, but couldn't remember all of the words.