Huge Third Man Auction!

Your Turntable's Not Dead
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Re: Huge Third Man Auction!

Post by shaneoftheroad »

arewhyehen wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:04 pm Was anyone here able to afford anything? Even the things I figured I might have a shot at, went for way more than expected. Even the Neil Young auction a few years ago wasn't this crazy..
I raised almost a grand hoping to get one of the White Stripes items. I thought for sure I'd be able to grab one of the empty cabinets or the speakers. But I walked away totally empty handed. Most of the stuff wasn't even close to being in the range I'd be willing to pay. The cabinets went for around $4k each.

But some of the money's going to charity, right? So I can't complain. Good on them.
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

shaneoftheroad wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:23 pm
arewhyehen wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:04 pm Was anyone here able to afford anything? Even the things I figured I might have a shot at, went for way more than expected. Even the Neil Young auction a few years ago wasn't this crazy..
I raised almost a grand hoping to get one of the White Stripes items. I thought for sure I'd be able to grab one of the empty cabinets or the speakers. But I walked away totally empty handed. Most of the stuff wasn't even close to being in the range I'd be willing to pay. The cabinets went for around $4k each.

But some of the money's going to charity, right? So I can't complain. Good on them.
I'm sorry but 4 grand for some painted plywood is a bit ridiculous.

I can see it now:. "hey Bill, what's that red box ya got on that platform with the spotlight on it?" "Why that's Jack White's monitor cover from the White Stripes!!!"
he is everything i hate...
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

elduderino wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:53 pm

I'm sorry but 4 grand for some painted plywood is a bit ridiculous.

I can see it now:. "hey Bill, what's that red box ya got on that platform with the spotlight on it?" "Why that's Jack White's monitor cover from the White Stripes!!!"
I would've gone a grand for the pedal board (which suspiciously disappeared before the auction ended). And I may have gone a grand for one of the speaker cabinets, just for myself. Bill can go to hell. haha

But I agree. $4k was way too much and they will never be worth that amount again. Still, a cool piece of history.
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

sorry, the monitor covers sold for $4k? I thought they were overpriced when they hit $250
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

higherlimits wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:19 pm sorry, the monitor covers sold for $4k? I thought they were overpriced when they hit $250
Don't tell Bill that...
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Yeah, I didn't think I could afford any of the bigger items but I was hoping for the monitor cases with the "White Stripes" info on the side and "London" which was cool since I am from London...but even they went for an insane amount. I figured the guitars and drums would be high, but everything was crazy. Did people take out loans to pay for stuff? haha
Jack Horner
Little Bird

Post by Jack Horner »

I just noticed on a still open tab that the final prices are now published, in case you wanted to see just how much people were willing to drop on bits of sticky tape with words written on, and peeled from a recording console. https://onlinenashvilleauctions.hibid.c ... e-auction/?
Meg is my favourite.
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

Jack Horner wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:26 pm I just noticed on a still open tab that the final prices are now published, in case you wanted to see just how much people were willing to drop on bits of sticky tape with words written on, and peeled from a recording console. https://onlinenashvilleauctions.hibid.c ... e-auction/?
wow. that's just stupid.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

elduderino wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:55 pm
Jack Horner wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:26 pm I just noticed on a still open tab that the final prices are now published, in case you wanted to see just how much people were willing to drop on bits of sticky tape with words written on, and peeled from a recording console. https://onlinenashvilleauctions.hibid.c ... e-auction/?
wow. that's just stupid.
Holy hell.. Apparently some people have a lot more money to burn than I do.
ehartsock1991
Little Bird

Post by ehartsock1991 »

benyo
Little Cream Soda

Post by benyo »

Oh my .... Thats cheap, just 250% and the case 300% of the price he paid. I honestly hope no one buys this overpriced pieces.
You can't even do much with them -.-.
Why didn't they make a museum out of these pieces (or is there something like this in Detroit/Nashville?)
" I wish someone would ask me “how do you get that sound?” they never do. The answer is “I fucking mean it.” " - Jack White
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

benyo wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:44 am Oh my .... Thats cheap, just 250% and the case 300% of the price he paid. I honestly hope no one buys this overpriced pieces.
Why didn't they make a museum out of these pieces (or is there something like this in Detroit/Nashville?)
No one goes to a museum to so empty stage boxes or stage lights.
They barely go to Hard Rock Restaurants to see those things.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

You guys don't think I'll be able to double my money?
benyo
Little Cream Soda

Post by benyo »

Stl_ben wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:10 pm
benyo wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:44 am Oh my .... Thats cheap, just 250% and the case 300% of the price he paid. I honestly hope no one buys this overpriced pieces.
I never understood the hype of Hard Rock Restaurants. I would though definitely go to see a whole house of WhiteStripes/Jack White memorabilia(not the stage boxes, but more his first guitar or multitrack), but maybe I'm the only one and till I manage to come over It will be closed again :D
" I wish someone would ask me “how do you get that sound?” they never do. The answer is “I fucking mean it.” " - Jack White
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Stl_ben wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:10 pm
Anyone know who's Ebay account that is? I really hope nobody buys them.