CASS Trip

Your Turntable's Not Dead
vandelpinkfloyd
Little Bird

CASS Trip

Post by vandelpinkfloyd »

Just wanted to share some highlights of my trip this past weekend back home to Detroit. I had the trip planned solely to see Sir Paul play at the new Red Wings/Pistons arena this past Sunday. I had 5 days to explore, and it ended up being the best trip home since I moved away 8 years ago.

The D, man this city has changed! There are more shops, bars, restaurants and hotels then ever before and all of them (that I saw) were very nice high-end. Every single street has construction to revitalize the old buildings and bring new life into them. The lodge free-way in and out of downtown was the cleanest I've ever seen it, the city itself too is beautiful! I could honestly picture myself moving back in a heart beat, although the revitalization has made everything that much more expensive. The city needed it though, and I hope the wealthy suburbs will bring more and more spending to the city. Moving all 4 sports teams right next to each other should only further increase interest in the forgotten downtown.

TMR/P CASS - I had been once before, shortly after they opened and it was nice but mainly all merch that I've seen online. With the addition of TMP, it's totally worth going even just to peer inside the windows to watch the vinyl come to life! I brought a uke and recorded two songs in the phono booth, very cool experience! Picked up several of the new pressings including the black vinyl BBC/Peel sessions. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. They also let you try Jacks Fender twin and what appeared to be a knock-off Airline, still cool to even see and play in person.

I never actually had seen Hotel Yorba, so I got a chance to swing over and take some pics in front wearing the TMR CASS jackets lol. Felt like a dweeb but made for an awesome photo. I had thought about renting a room for a night to check it all out... kinda glad I didn't. It's a touch seedy

Gold Dolla' - Still stands, although it is completely painted brown and locked up. Structure is still there (although the roof is almost completely caved) and made for a cool photo op.

Overall, it was truly and amazing experience and I suggest everyone spend a weekend there if they have the chance! With seeing Paul, flights, 4 nights in hotels, food and gifts/souvenirs the trip set me back almost $3k though... about double what I wanted to spend but feels worth it given the experience. Makes me miss home!
chris865
Little Ghost

Re: CASS Trip

Post by chris865 »

Thanks for sharing, sounds like you had a great time.
higherlimits
Little People

Re: CASS Trip

Post by higherlimits »

chris865 wrote:Thanks for sharing, sounds like you had a great time.
Ditto!