Adam Savage Visits Third Man Cass Corridor

Your Turntable's Not Dead
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Adam Savage Visits Third Man Cass Corridor

Post by arewhyehen »

Watch as Adam Savage stops by Third Man Records Cass Corridor and Third Man Pressing! In a truly immersive tour, Adam records a song and then follows his record's eventual process from lathe to cellophane. Bonus: Adam also chats with Jack White about how recording this way impacts the creative process! Watch below...

arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Re: Adam Savage Visits Third Man Cass Corridor

Post by arewhyehen »

Always been a huge Mythbusters fan...so this was cool. Pretty much knew everything going on but it was cool to actually watch the process. This was more of the tour I was expecting on opening day....not the 5 minute tour we got..
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

There's no way they would have taken us into the boiler room, for safety reasons. I would've been happy just to have made a circumference of the main room to be able to see things a bit closer when we had our tour, but this goes a loooong way towards making up for that. What a treat to experience it all through Adam Savage's enthusiastic eyes, I love it when people geek out the way I'd like to.

And did you catch Jack's comment about wanting to come up with a way for people to press their own records in the plant?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Kali Durga wrote:There's no way they would have taken us into the boiler room, for safety reasons. I would've been happy just to have made a circumference of the main room to be able to see things a bit closer when we had our tour, but this goes a loooong way towards making up for that. What a treat to experience it all through Adam Savage's enthusiastic eyes, I love it when people geek out the way I'd like to.

And did you catch Jack's comment about wanting to come up with a way for people to press their own records in the plant?
Yes I did :) ^ ^ ^

I didn't need to go in the boiler room or the recording room, but I feel like we only walked about 20 feet from the entrance and then turned around and walked back out. We didn't really get to view much of the process. They do look like they have a lot more set up and a lot more going on now though. I wonder if the tours are a bit better now..

Anyone take one lately?
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

arewhyehen wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:There's no way they would have taken us into the boiler room, for safety reasons. I would've been happy just to have made a circumference of the main room to be able to see things a bit closer when we had our tour, but this goes a loooong way towards making up for that. What a treat to experience it all through Adam Savage's enthusiastic eyes, I love it when people geek out the way I'd like to.

I didn't need to go in the boiler room or the recording room, but I feel like we only walked about 20 feet from the entrance and then turned around and walked back out. We didn't really get to view much of the process. They do look like they have a lot more set up and a lot more going on now though. I wonder if the tours are a bit better now..
I must admit I was hoping to see the mural up close.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

arewhyehen wrote:

Anyone take one lately?
You sir, should have your head examined. The lathe is the essence of all things vinyl. That is an absolutely gorgeous piece of machinery. The engineer that showed Adam the lathe had/has one in his studio in Ann Arbor. I wonder if they have some sort of partnership or bought his lathe. Best as I can figure, it's different from the other machine they have in Nashville in the room with the Scully that does all the work down there. All I ever wanted to do at either location was to be in either room to see one of these machines up close. Love the video. Felt weird in the beginning like Dave and the audio engineer had trouble explaining the booth and mics to Adam. Maybe they were nervous or didn't know the shoot was happening that day.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

rsimms3 wrote:You sir, should have your head examined. The lathe is the essence of all things vinyl. That is an absolutely gorgeous piece of machinery. The engineer that showed Adam the lathe had/has one in his studio in Ann Arbor. I wonder if they have some sort of partnership or bought his lathe. Best as I can figure, it's different from the other machine they have in Nashville in the room with the Scully that does all the work down there. All I ever wanted to do at either location was to be in either room to see one of these machines up close. Love the video. Felt weird in the beginning like Dave and the audio engineer had trouble explaining the booth and mics to Adam. Maybe they were nervous or didn't know the shoot was happening that day.
Seeing the lathe was one of the coolest parts of the whole episode, especially after having watched American Epic Sessions so recently. And Chris, the audio engineer, may have seemed a little nervous, but he had the best line of the show-- "Great art is made when there are consequences". That's probably all he had to say to get that job.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

rsimms3 wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:

Anyone take one lately?
You sir, should have your head examined. The lathe is the essence of all things vinyl. That is an absolutely gorgeous piece of machinery. The engineer that showed Adam the lathe had/has one in his studio in Ann Arbor. I wonder if they have some sort of partnership or bought his lathe. Best as I can figure, it's different from the other machine they have in Nashville in the room with the Scully that does all the work down there. All I ever wanted to do at either location was to be in either room to see one of these machines up close. Love the video. Felt weird in the beginning like Dave and the audio engineer had trouble explaining the booth and mics to Adam. Maybe they were nervous or didn't know the shoot was happening that day.
I never said I didn't WANT to see the lathe. I just said I never expected to see it on the tour. I don't expect them to bring 20 people into a small room with very fragile and expensive equipment. Obviously that's something I'm interested in...it blows my mind that something so simple can still produce some of the best sounding music, even with all this other high end technology we have now.